Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Kitchen Countertops...granite/silestone etc

Kitchen Countertops...granite/silestone etc

Old Apr 10th 2006, 2:07 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kitchen Countertops...granite/silestone etc

Originally Posted by woodsey
Thanks, its nice to be back home, it was lovely seeing family etc but its nice to be back in civilisation..I think we had 100 square foot and yes it included the fitting. I had a square edge finish on mine though so it worked out slightly cheaper, I hate the round/bullnose style edge, looks horrible and old fashioned.
Thanks I thought it would be in the region of $10K just for the granite, edging, cutting and fitting extra. So that's not too bad I'll have to look into it.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 10:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

My missus tells me that the latest craze in custom homes, is copper counter tops. 99% of the houses they build though, have granite put in and like Woodsey said, with limited seams.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 11:04 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by waxwabbit
Hiya Brits!

Following on from the Laminate/Hardwood post, I thought I would ask about your countertops............?

We are considering upgrading the c/tops in our kitchen. A brief quote from Lowes came to $2800 for granite. Not too much c/top space in our kitchen.

Just wondered what route you went and why, what you paid, etc etc

we have granite c/tops and breakfast bar ..... and apart from looking nice it is practical....extra expense can be added when you look into the various edges than you can have, whatever your choice be it round, bevelled etc they all look nice.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 11:05 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
My missus tells me that the latest craze in custom homes, is copper counter tops. 99% of the houses they build though, have granite put in and like Woodsey said, with limited seams.

a neigbour here just had her yr old copper counter top taken out and granite installed..the copper looked crap and didn't wear well at all
Old Apr 10th 2006, 11:09 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
a neigbour here just had her yr old copper counter top taken out and granite installed..the copper looked crap and didn't wear well at all
And a mare to polish I'd imagine...much rather glass counter top, very tough surface and can plonk hot stuff straight on it, and use it as a cutting board....has to be tempered glass though for obvious reasons
Old Apr 10th 2006, 11:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

No I don't like the sound of copper countertops, reminds me of the old steel ones.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 11:11 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
No I don't like the sound of copper countertops, reminds me of the old steel ones.
don't remember those...my little mum bless her had formica
Old Apr 10th 2006, 11:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

don't remember those...my little mum bless her had formica
Like the ones they have in resturant kitchens.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 11:15 pm
Account Closed

Like the ones they have in resturant kitchens.
oh ok but don't remember seeing them in ordinary houses not in liverpool anyway..omg we were posh to have a kitchen let alone formica
Old Apr 10th 2006, 11:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

oh ok but don't remember seeing them in ordinary houses not in liverpool anyway..omg we were posh to have a kitchen let alone formica
The house my hubby grew up in had an outside toilet.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 11:18 pm
Account Closed

The house my hubby grew up in had an outside toilet.

lol my aunt had one of those and i would never go till we got home...
Old Apr 10th 2006, 11:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

lol my aunt had one of those and i would never go till we got home...
Good job they'd moved by the time we met or we might not have got past the 1st date. LOL.
Old Apr 11th 2006, 3:35 am
sas
Forum Regular

sas is just really nicesas is just really nicesas is just really nicesas is just really nicesas is just really nicesas is just really nicesas is just really nicesas is just really nicesas is just really nice

What about Soap Stone? seen it used a few times on the DIY shows and it looks really nice. I have no idea how much it costs.