British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   kippers - can I get them in the usa? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/kippers-can-i-get-them-usa-498878/)

steve100100 Dec 9th 2007 9:59 pm

kippers - can I get them in the usa?

Hi all,

I'm a new member here.......been in the USA for almost two years and love it. But I think about the food from the old country a lot. Lately, I have been hankering after kippers. Do you know what I mean? Don't have to be fresh, just those boil in the bag things.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

bobbiel Dec 10th 2007 12:54 am

Re: kippers - can I get them in the usa?

Could we have kippers for breakfast
Mummy dear, Mummy dear
They got to have 'em in Texas
Cos everyone's a millionaire

Supertramp ,,,Breakfast in America

So I would say "yes":lol:

jenniferpa Dec 10th 2007 1:29 am

Originally Posted by steve100100 (Post 5650743)
Hi all,

I'm a new member here.......been in the USA for almost two years and love it. But I think about the food from the old country a lot. Lately, I have been hankering after kippers. Do you know what I mean? Don't have to be fresh, just those boil in the bag things.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

If you google "kippers" several suppliers come up. You'll probably be buying several pounds though.

britex01 Dec 10th 2007 1:38 am

Originally Posted by steve100100 (Post 5650743)
Hi all,

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Welcome new member Steve. I have kippers in the fridge... I'll bung them in the post to you! ... :D ... One of my ol' favourites is smoked haddock topped with poached egg. My US wife, who is currently in the States, misses fresh fish straight from the fish docks that's situated not too far from where I'm located.

I must admit, when I'm in the States (Texas) I yearn for haddock 'n' chips and the rest of it. You have my sympathy, therefore.

Good hunting on the kipper trail.

--

Patrick Hasler Dec 10th 2007 6:52 am

I have seen them on sale in Price Chopper, Hannafords, and Shaws ,,, but I have resisted because the don't seem to look quite as appetizing as back home. :(

rincewind Dec 10th 2007 12:30 pm

They have them in tins here at the Fresh Market. Packed in Canada and exported. They look horrid.

Have you tried making your own?

Bob Dec 10th 2007 4:45 pm

Whole Foods have them...not cheap though.

yorkshirelass Dec 11th 2007 4:16 pm

Where are you located? My mum just picked some up at our local British shop in Hudson, Florida!

Patrick Hasler Dec 14th 2007 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by yorkshirelass (Post 5657073)
Where are you located? My mum just picked some up at our local British shop in Hudson, Florida!

At the top of the page ;)