British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   King day? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/king-day-278119/)

Bob Jan 17th 2005 1:48 pm

King day?

So what happens in your part of the land today? and what do you guys do if you do anything?
In maine, some places are having the day off, the missus ain't because they she has to work a couple of the holidays...

But Bangor is doing somin', having some talks and stuff....don't imagine anything outdoors happening though...

NC Penguin Jan 17th 2005 2:11 pm

Re: King day?

In my county, Durham, the following events are scheduled from today-

B.N. DUKE AUDITORIUM, NCCU campus, Durham. 560-5252; 560-5170.

Celebrating the Life and Legacy of the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. With Mark Morial, president of the National Urban League. Tuesday, 9:45 a.m.

Jazz Combo and Jazz Ensemble II. Presented by the music department. Jan. 25, 7 p.m.

DUKE CHAPEL, Duke West Campus, Durham. 684-2572 or www.chapel.duke.edu.

Fisk University Jubilee Singers. Singing for John Hope Franklin and in honor of Martin Luther King Jr. Sunday, 2 p.m.

DUKE LAW SCHOOL, Duke campus, Durham. 613-7133.

Is Martin Luther King's Dream Still Alive? A British Parliament-style debate. Audience participation encouraged. Thursday, noon.

DUKE UNIVERSITY, Erwin Road, Durham. 684-4000.

Angela Davis. University of California, Santa Cruz, professor and civil rights leader. Page Auditorium. Today, 7 p.m.

John Hope Franklin. A conversation with the historian and professor emeritus. Part of his 90th birthday celebration. Nelson Music Room, East Duke Building. Jan. 20, 6 p.m.

DURHAM REGIONAL HOSPITAL, 3643 N. Roxboro Road, Durham. 470-4000.

MLK Worship Service. To be held in the hospital chapel. Tuesday, 1 p.m.

King Candlelight Vigil. Featuring excerpts from the "I Have a Dream" speech. Tuesday, 5 p.m.

King Prayer Breakfast. Wednesday, 8:30 a.m.

Health Disparities Within the African-American Community. Thursday, noon.

Up Above My Head, I Hear Music in the Air. Friday, 7:30 p.m.

MARY LOU WILLIAMS CENTER FOR BLACK CULTURE, 02 West Union Building, Duke campus, Durham. 684-5813.

Christian Calling and the Work of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. Featuring Craig T. Kocher, dean of Duke Chapel; and Patrick Thompson, director of Black Campus Ministry. Wednesday, noon.

Poetry Workshop. Featuring Glenis Redmond and Patricia Starek. Saturday, 11 a.m.

N.C. CENTRAL SCHOOL OF EDUCATION, 712 Cecil St., Durham. 530-6466.

Fisk University Jubilee Singers. Friday, 1 p.m.

REYNOLDS THEATRE, Bryan Center, Duke campus, Durham. University box office, 684-4444 or www.tickets.duke.edu.

Step Sisters. "A Poetic Dialogue on Race and Womanhood." Featuring Glenis Redmond and Patricia Starek. Friday, 8 p.m.

Bob Jan 17th 2005 3:50 pm

blimey...just a bit of stuff going on then....many people bother going?

Circus-of-Power Jan 17th 2005 7:23 pm

Eureka Illinois.... is just shut for the day ....... ( nobody has noticed yet :rolleyes: )

sibsie Jan 17th 2005 7:36 pm

I had no idea that it was MLK Day until I found that the hardware shop was closed. :mad: Dunkin Donuts was open so I got my latte and all was well with the world again.

ladylisa Jan 17th 2005 8:38 pm

our post office was closed, damm wont be able to get the MIL birthday pressie to her on time. Normallt our banks too. Havent noticed anything else yet. :)

USBound Jan 17th 2005 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by ladylisa
our post office was closed, damm wont be able to get the MIL birthday pressie to her on time. Normallt our banks too. Havent noticed anything else yet. :)

didn't notice anything out of the ordinary here (LA, California)

NC Penguin Jan 17th 2005 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
blimey...just a bit of stuff going on then....many people bother going?

Yup, probably lots of adults, kids and students going to these events. One reason is that Durham has a prominent black American population, many of whom may have seen King in his day and many more who have suffered segregation and discrimination during King's lifetime.

NC Penguin

Patrick Jan 17th 2005 11:20 pm

Happy Dr Martin Luther King day everyone,

I sent out my Happy Dr Martin Luther King day cards and delivered all my Dr Martin Luther King day presents this morning. We had our the traditional Dr Marting Luther King day Lunch followed by the Dr Marting Luther King day cake (cholcolate obviously), we then went out and sung Dr Marting Luther King day songs.

I can't believe its all over with so quickly and tomorrow we will be back to normal, no more Dr Marting Luther King day lights or candles or tree. Oh well there will always be next year

Patrick

nxylas Jan 18th 2005 1:48 am

Yes, happy MLK day, a good opportunity to remember that far-off period(1965-1999) when African-Americans had the vote.

Sarah Jan 18th 2005 1:51 am

Pennsylvania doesn't do anything.
Bunch of redneck, cross-burnin facists!

Taffyles Jan 18th 2005 2:04 am

Originally Posted by Patrick
Happy Dr Martin Luther King day everyone,

I sent out my Happy Dr Martin Luther King day cards and delivered all my Dr Martin Luther King day presents this morning. We had our the traditional Dr Marting Luther King day Lunch followed by the Dr Marting Luther King day cake (cholcolate obviously), we then went out and sung Dr Marting Luther King day songs.

I can't believe its all over with so quickly and tomorrow we will be back to normal, no more Dr Marting Luther King day lights or candles or tree. Oh well there will always be next year

Patrick

:D :D :D

Webbie Jan 18th 2005 2:18 am

Was very surprised to find a school down this way, unlike all the others, that wasn't off.
But then I learnt that it was a Christian School (that's the way to get around the evolution/creationism thing - let the church next door run the school).

School is in a very small town just outside the city limits of Greensboro - called Vandalia.

Obviously they don't recognise MLK day.

Very bad form that.

NC Penguin Jan 18th 2005 2:42 am

Originally Posted by Webbie
Was very surprised to find a school down this way, unlike all the others, that wasn't off.
But then I learnt that it was a Christian School (that's the way to get around the evolution/creationism thing - let the church next door run the school).

School is in a very small town just outside the city limits of Greensboro - called Vandalia.

Obviously they don't recognise MLK day.

Very bad form that.

Quite poignant that you mention Greensboro, NC. When I was there a year or two ago, I walked past the famous Woolworths building, site of the Greensboro Sit In of 1960 and the "Greensboro Four".

See-
http://www.sitins.com/story.shtml

NPR reported today that part of that lunch counter from the Woolworths is now in the Smithsonian and the building itself in Greensboro is being made into an International Civil Rights Center and Museum.

NC Penguin

Webbie Jan 18th 2005 3:04 am

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Quite poignant that you mention Greensboro, NC. When I was there a year or two ago, I walked past the famous Woolworths building, site of the Greensboro Sit In of 1960 and the "Greensboro Four".

Pity that nothing much has changed since that (cf. Vandalia Christian School).

Or the Greensboro massacre...

Talked to my neighbour at Xmas - T-Bone.
He has this big tanker that he parks in part of our woods. It is used to clean out septic tanks which is unintentionally funny enough.
Anyway....He told me some very bad and disturbing stories about living here. Still hears and sees things that he shouldn't. That nobody should.
:(