Kindermusik

Old Oct 13th 2010, 8:36 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Kindermusik

Hello
I have searched and can't find a thread on this but apologies if I've missed it.
I haven't been in the US that long (5 weeks) and have been a bit suprised by how expensive the kids things are here compared to the UK. Some of the classes want $100 for the first month of a 45min/wk class.
Has anyone done kindermusik with their young children and is it worth the money? It looks pretty good on the website but I would love to here from anyone that has actually done it. Also, has anyone been to a franchaise called pigtails and crewcuts? It's a hairdressers but is only for kids and they have toys and dvds etc going to keep them entertained. I can't find out about prices online and think that if I went along to a branch to have a look, I'd feel like I had to pay even if it was expensive.
Thanks very much.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 8:52 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kindermusik

Originally Posted by Weeze
Hello
I have searched and can't find a thread on this but apologies if I've missed it.
I haven't been in the US that long (5 weeks) and have been a bit suprised by how expensive the kids things are here compared to the UK. Some of the classes want $100 for the first month of a 45min/wk class.
Has anyone done kindermusik with their young children and is it worth the money? It looks pretty good on the website but I would love to here from anyone that has actually done it. Also, has anyone been to a franchaise called pigtails and crewcuts? It's a hairdressers but is only for kids and they have toys and dvds etc going to keep them entertained. I can't find out about prices online and think that if I went along to a branch to have a look, I'd feel like I had to pay even if it was expensive.
Thanks very much.
If I have calculated correctly, $100.00/mth comes to about $23.00/week. For 45 minutes that isn't half bad. A lot of music shops charge about $25.00 for a half hour lesson. I myself charged $25.00/hr for private lessons I gave off and on when the need arose.

I can't really research the site covertly here in work but If you want to post or PM me an idea of what the classes offer, how old your children are and what your goal is for them musically and I'll give you an idea as to the value for money from my point of view as a musician.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 8:58 pm
Badger Badger Badger

Malashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of light

It does seem quite a lot for a group class, but equally I'd snap SultanOfSwings hand off for $25/hour private lessons. Most of the music teachers I know back in England charged a higher number of pounds than that; in some cases quite considerably higher. My high school music teacher charged 45 pounds an hour for private tuition :-0

I haven't experienced Kindermusic first hand but as both someone who's wprked both as a teacher and a musician everything I've seen second hand looks really good. if you do try it out let us know how it goes
Old Oct 13th 2010, 9:00 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, should have explained more. My daughter isn't quite 2 yet. Kindermusik is a dancing/music workshop for under 3s. I think they dance round with ribbons and bubbles while singing songs about animals. The $100/month class was for a toddlers play place.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 9:04 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, should have explained more. My daughter isn't quite 2 yet. Kindermusik is a dancing/music workshop for under 3s. I think they dance round with ribbons and bubbles while singing songs about animals. The $100/month class was for a toddlers play place.
Ah, OK - I'm not sure if that is quite in my field of expertise then, sorry.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

jackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud of

Hello

There was a kindermusic class in my apartment block when we lived in China (run by an expat so I'm guessing it was the same thing). Although we didn't personally attend, I had lots of friends who took their kids there and apparently the kids loved it.

You should find out how many kids are in the class, and what the ages are. The price sounds about what I'd expect, maybe a little on the high side but not outrageously different from what I have heard. Then again, I live in California so things are more expensive here anyway!
Old Oct 13th 2010, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Ah, OK - I'm not sure if that is quite in my field of expertise then, sorry.
Thanks anyway, it was a very kind offer
Old Oct 13th 2010, 10:00 pm
N99sea

naomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond repute

We never did Kindermusic or Gymborree when my kid was younger...too expensive. You should try looking at your local communicty centers though, they often run fun programs for pre-schoolers at a fraction of the cost.
Naomi.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

You mentioned a kids hairdresser. There is one near me called Cookie Cutters and they do kids haircuts. They have a playstation and Wii console for kids to use whilst they are waiting and there is a slide/climb thing for younger kids. Each chair is also by a mini tv/dvd combo and the kids can choose a movie to watch or can play a game on a playstation. My son plays games and my daughter watches movies. It keeps them still whilst their hair is being cut and costs $13 (for my kids). They also have the option of 'novelty chairs' where they can sit on a tractor, horse etc. My kids like it but my OH is not too keen on the place. They also have a sort of reward card thing where you get a card and each time your kid gets their hair cut, they punch a hole in the card. Once you have a card full of hole punches your kid gets a free haircut.
Hope that helps.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 11:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Hello
Thanks very much.
My daughter took both her children (my grandchildren) to Kindermusik from when they were only 6 months old. I would say my little grand-daughter got more out of it than my grandson (he became too wild when he started walking). Yes, it is very expensive and, to be honest, almost elitist. My son-in-law has a really good job, so my daughter is lucky not to have to work and can stay home, so they were able to afford it. I would say the fees are not within the budget of your average family.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 11:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

I have taught a class very similar to kindermusik and my daughter's piano teacher offers classes. The price sounds about right and in my very biased opinion (I'm a musician and music teacher) are well worth it.
If you do a qiock google search I'm sure you'll come up with lots of articles on why it's important to teach music to children from a young age...it isn't just about the music!
Old Oct 14th 2010, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

I meant to say this in my last post - if you are looking for children/toddler activities, you might want to check with your local library. They often have free storytime for little ones a couple of days a week. Also check with your local school district - they usually have a community education curriculum that offers such things as tumbling, splish splash (baby "swimming"), dancing, etc for a very low fee.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 1:33 am
Badger Badger Badger

Malashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by lisa67
If you do a qiock google search I'm sure you'll come up with lots of articles on why it's important to teach music to children from a young age...it isn't just about the music!
I totally agree with this.
If nothing else all kids should have access to some simple musical instruments. I spent hours with one of those wheel along plastic xylophone things when I was a kid tying to find ways to make interesting music with such a limited piece of crap
Old Oct 14th 2010, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

Bonestable will become famous soon enough

I did Kindermusik with one of my daughters from when she was 18 months until she was 3.

I agree that it is expensive for what you get. She did enjoy it, though, and i made some friends there too.

If you look at rec center or YMCA programs they are usually more affordable.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 4:31 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

From the Pigtails and Crewcuts question would I be right in guessing you're out in Katy? (You dont need to answer that one!). Theres a PT and CC at Fry/Mason, thats all. There's a similar place called Cool Cuts for Kids in the Alamo Drafthouse strip on Mason, just next door to Starbucks - they used to charge about $15 a cut.

I did Kindermusik for a year or so with my eldest son from about 12months to 2 years. They have different programs aimed at the different ages and the ones he enjoyed were all about trains and rocket ships and things. It was pretty good, and I enjoyed taking him. Then he "graduated" to the next class and it was all about butterflies and flowers and we had our first dad/son chat and decided we'd rather go to the park and squish bugs. I seem to remember we paid $15 per session, but this was 8 or 9 years ago. Had some fun at Gymboree as well, but it closed down and now the nearest one is at Memorial/Dairy Ashford I think. Westwood Gym do a good mom and me or toddler program. Little Gym on highland Knolls was a poor second choice...may have improved now.

Have to say, if it was me, new in town with a young kid, I'd go cos you are pretty much guaranteed to get some intros into a playgroup from it. Maud Marks library (on Westgreen near the Fire Station) also used to do a really good series of toddler story times, and the lady there also started doing some music as well - maybe not quite as slick as Kindermusik, but at 2 year old, can they tell? And it was free!!

If you are in Katy, and looking for ideas of whats around for kids, feel free to PM me - I had 2 boys and a girl through a lot of the local programs - the youngest just started Kindergarden this year, but the places dont change that much....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.