Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Kindergarten in Texas

Kindergarten in Texas

Old May 23rd 2008, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

Maple Cupcakes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Kindergarten in Texas

We are new to the US forum, originally en route to Canada. Now a small detour to Houston with hubby's job towards end of this year. (got to be better than waiting here in the UK!)

We have 3 kids, 14, 6 and 4. Our concern is that our youngest son is due to start school in the UK in September and then turns 5 just a month later. He has already done 2 years of pre school in the UK and now is more than ready to be in full time education. By the time we move he will have done almost a term at 'big school' and we are naturally concerned that he will have to take a huge step backwards if he can't go straight into full time education in the US.

Having looked at the Texas Education and ISDs websites it seems that he needs to have turned 5 by September 1 to be admitted to kindergarten.

Just how flexible are the school districts with regard to starting age for kindergarten, especially for kids from overseas? Do individual schools have the powers to overide this rule?

I have read on here that some parents in some states have had their kids tested to go up a grade, how does this work and how easy is it to achieve?

Loads of question I know, but any info or experiences anyone may have would be really appreciated.

Many thanks,

Sue
Old May 23rd 2008, 2:57 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kindergarten in Texas

Originally Posted by Maple Cupcakes
We are new to the US forum, originally en route to Canada. Now a small detour to Houston with hubby's job towards end of this year. (got to be better than waiting here in the UK!)

We have 3 kids, 14, 6 and 4. Our concern is that our youngest son is due to start school in the UK in September and then turns 5 just a month later. He has already done 2 years of pre school in the UK and now is more than ready to be in full time education. By the time we move he will have done almost a term at 'big school' and we are naturally concerned that he will have to take a huge step backwards if he can't go straight into full time education in the US.

Having looked at the Texas Education and ISDs websites it seems that he needs to have turned 5 by September 1 to be admitted to kindergarten.

Just how flexible are the school districts with regard to starting age for kindergarten, especially for kids from overseas? Do individual schools have the powers to overide this rule?

I have read on here that some parents in some states have had their kids tested to go up a grade, how does this work and how easy is it to achieve?

Loads of question I know, but any info or experiences anyone may have would be really appreciated.

Many thanks,

Sue
We were in a similar position when we emigrated. I very much doubt that state schools are allowed to "bend the rules". I can't answer your question regarding testing to have the child moved up a year, but my guess is that it only applies once the child is old enough to be in school in the first place.

Our solution was to send our twins to a local Montessori preschool for a year. It worked very well for us, and they were way ahead of other kids the same age by the time they started "real" kindergarten at the local elementary school.
Old May 23rd 2008, 3:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

When we moved to Michigan (8 years ago) I had a son who had done reception in the UK and I didn't want him to repeat that year and so I just told the school that I wnated him in first grade and then with my daughter I put her in kindergarten at the same age she would have gone into reception in the uk. I signed her up during Kindergarten round up and when they questioned her age I told them that she had been going to day nursey part time since the age of 2 and I thought she was ready and if they thought she was struggling then we would reconsider.
They were very accomadating but i was very decisive about it...I told them, rather than asked them (in a nice way !) that that is what I thought was best for my children and if if they found it wasn't working then we would adjust accordingly.
Now I don't know about legal differences between TX and MI. But I have found that, especially with the school system it's good to be well informed, and forthright about what you want, and don't let the "jobs worths" tell you what you should be doing.....the same with pre school shots...you do have a choice about which vaccinations your kids have and you can sign a waiver regarding the ones you don't want them to have, but they don't tell you that !!
Anyway....I've rambled enough and you're probably all asleep now...zzzzz !!
Old May 23rd 2008, 3:49 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Some schools have a K-4 program, or a half day.

You might want to read through the WIKI on this subject

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/What_d...s_in_school%3F
Old May 24th 2008, 6:19 am
Forum Regular

Maple Cupcakes is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies so far, lots of useful info. Looks like there may be options and standing up for what we want is the way to go.

Sue