British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Kinda new to this (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/kinda-new-109636/)

andyjbilton Jul 19th 2002 8:09 pm

Kinda new to this

Hi all,
I have been reading this site for a couple of months now... thanks to you all for your insights!

My fiancee and I are currently going through the wait for the approval of the I129F application... we sent it off on May 25 2002. She called INS today and they say it probably won't be until early September that we hear if we have been successful or not. Sigh. Just a couple of questions if I may:

1. The I864 - do I fill this in or does my US fiancee? And when do we actually fill it in? Do I take it to the interview with me?

The people at the INS said that Ruth has no more forms to fill in !!!! Hum... confused here. We have masses of evidence, seeing as I have visited her 5 times in the past year ! Police check came through ok, it's just this I864 form!

2. any body any idea as to how long there approval took to come thru from the California INS?

Thank you all, once again!
Andy

Alvena Ferreira Jul 20th 2002 12:20 am

Re: Kinda new to this

andyjbilton wrote:
    > My fiancee and I are currently going through the wait for the approval of the I129F
    > application... we sent it off on May 25 2002. She called INS today and they say it
    > probably won't be until early September that we hear if we have been successful or
    > not. Sigh. Just a couple of questions if I may:
    > 1. The I864 - do I fill this in or does my US fiancee? And when do we actually
    > fill it in? Do I take it to the interview with me? The people at the INS said
    > that Ruth has no more forms to fill in !!!! Hum... confused here. We have
    > masses of evidence, seeing as I have visited her 5 times in the past year !
    > Police check came through ok, it's just this I864 form!
    > 2. any body any idea as to how long there approval took to come thru from the
    > California INS?
    >
The US fiance completes an I-134 affidavit of support for you to take to the
interview. After you enter the US and file for adjustment of status, THEN you file
the I-864 affidavit of support. See doc steen site for more info. Alvena

Doc Steen Site: http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
=========================================
I am not a lawyer and this is not immigration advice. This is my personal opinion,
gleaned from the previous postings of others, and posted for the purpose of
discussion only. If your case is complicated, then you may need an immigration
attorney. Locate an immigration attorney in your area at: http://www.aila.org
=========================================

andyjbilton Jul 20th 2002 6:41 am

Thank you ! Makes more sense to me now.

Whit Jul 20th 2002 4:20 pm

I think it depends upon the country..... You know, I ended up filling this out for
both sides--both countries had such a form, numbered differently in our case. But
this Affidavit of support was due for the interview (with paperwork before, to get
the interview). The supporting documentation differed. Both USA and other Country
were interested in the income tax forms. I am surprised if your case was delayed.
Generally they take their maximum allotment of time, but don't go over their clock.
Of course, they do not count the 4-6 weeks we wait for letters to get opened. Your
packet lacked something, didn't it? But no worries. It really just takes time. Try to
keep the same job and residence. Don't change. Everything helps.

LoLuck...
    :)
andyjbilton wrote in message <[email protected]>...
    >Hi all, I have been reading this site for a couple of months now... thanks to you
    >all for your insights!
    >
    >My fiancee and I are currently going through the wait for the approval of the I129F
    >application... we sent it off on May 25 2002. She called INS today and they say it
    >probably won't be until early September that we hear if we have been successful or
    >not. Sigh. Just a couple of questions if I may:
    >
    >1. The I864 - do I fill this in or does my US fiancee? And when do we
    > actually fill it in? Do I take it to the interview with me?
    >
    >The people at the INS said that Ruth has no more forms to fill in !!!! Hum...
    >confused here. We have masses of evidence, seeing as I have visited her 5 times in
    >the past year ! Police check came through ok, it's just this I864 form!
    >
    >2. any body any idea as to how long there approval took to come thru from the
    > California INS?
    >
    >Thank you all, once again! Andy
    >
    >
    >
    >--

andyjbilton Jul 20th 2002 6:00 pm

My packet lacked something? EEKS! Erm... I figures we'd sent in all the proof - masses of it really! The whole works. We did the bio's and the I129F. Not sure what else should have been in it! Still waiting for a decision from California!!!!
Andy

Whit Jul 21st 2002 5:20 pm

Oh, I was guessing. You'd know. And it is not a big deal, just another addition.

You can call their non-toll-free number in Laguna Niguel and get the status up date
if you have the number. You may be able to call and get that number (if you do not
have it yet) but man it takes some doing to get through.

andyjbilton Jul 21st 2002 9:45 pm

my wife to be calls nearly every other day! First we got the standard letter that said 30 days and we would have a decision! Then she called again, and they then said that was a mistake, and it will actually be July when you hear - she called this week and they now said September! That the person who told her it was July was 'misinformed'! Seems to me that the INS is not sure about dates ! "misinformation" !!!!!!!!

Thanks for your reply
Andy

Whit Jul 23rd 2002 2:20 am

You're welcome. I feel your pain. I was there. I called various times--and got
through a few. You'll get it. It's just forever when you are in love and want to be
together. the rest of the wait matters nothing, as you will be waiting together.

Good luck, Whit PHX

Jon90 Jul 23rd 2002 6:20 pm

California Timeline

California is taking forever at the moment - ours was sent in 6th June, the automated
number said 30-40 days, yesterday it changed and now says 90 days

I've taken a zen like approach to the waiting, but my fiancée is gutted. I doubt we
missed anything off the form, though with INS anything is possible. I've been reading
this NG for months, we've both read doc stein till we have the front page disclaimer
memorised, and checked and double checked the package before posting it (which took
two full days to put together).

So I think California INS is having problems dealing with their workload at
the moment.

It's frustrating as I really wanted to be out there by Thanksgiving, now it looks
like I won't be there by Christmas.

Jon

"Whit" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Oh, I was guessing. You'd know. And it is not a big deal, just another addition.
    >
    > You can call their non-toll-free number in Laguna Niguel and get the
status
    > up date if you have the number. You may be able to call and get that
number
    > (if you do not have it yet) but man it takes some doing to get through.
    >
    > :)

andyjbilton Jul 24th 2002 6:44 pm

I understand the feeling about your fiancee being gutted - mine too ! Just called her now and she is so depressed! I'm much like you, Jon in the fact that I have taken the same kinda zen like approach. Nothing I can really do to hasten the situation. Just have to get through it some how. We got our 1st NOA on 22nd May and now the INS are saying it could be September before we hear anything else!
Good luck !
Andy

Bel Aug 13th 2002 5:50 am

Re: California Timeline

"Jon90" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > California is taking forever at the moment - ours was sent in 6th June, the
    > automated number said 30-40 days, yesterday it changed and now says 90 days
    > :-)
    > I've taken a zen like approach to the waiting, but my fiancée is gutted. I doubt we
    > missed anything off the form, though with INS anything is possible. I've been
    > reading this NG for months, we've both read doc stein till we have the front page
    > disclaimer memorised, and checked and double checked the package before posting it
    > (which took two full days to put together).
    > So I think California INS is having problems dealing with their workload at
    > the moment.
    > It's frustrating as I really wanted to be out there by Thanksgiving, now it looks
    > like I won't be there by Christmas.
    > Jon
    > "Whit" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Oh, I was guessing. You'd know. And it is not a big deal, just another addition.
    > >
    > > You can call their non-toll-free number in Laguna Niguel and get the
    > status
    > > up date if you have the number. You may be able to call and get that
    > number
    > > (if you do not have it yet) but man it takes some doing to get through.
    > >
    > > :)
    > >
    > >

Hello! I am based here in Los Angeles and my husband is in Tucson, Arizona. We will
be filing my AOS, EAD application soon and I am just wondering if we're doing the
right thing filing here in Los Angeles. My husband's job is in Arizona and mine is
here in L.A. I cannot afford not to have a job right now so we decided to be apart
for a few more months till I get the new EAD. I am here on an H1-B visa so my EAD is
only limited to my present employer. Where do you suggest we file? It is important
that we get the EAD the soonest possible time because living apart is very difficult
for any couple. If we file end of August, can I get AT LEAST an Interim EAD by end of
December or early January of next year??? Thanks in advance!