Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Kids & Yard Work -- How Much to Pay??

Kids & Yard Work -- How Much to Pay??

Old Jul 26th 2010, 7:15 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kids & Yard Work -- How Much to Pay??

Originally Posted by Bob
bingo
Hey - the government helicopters are up and down our road all the time without you stirring things up. Our neighbor told us two federal agents knocked on her door, asking to poke around in her vegetable patch. She walked out there with them, the operator in the helicopter directed them to .... a rosemary bush. !!
Old Jul 26th 2010, 8:11 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Hey - the government helicopters are up and down our road all the time without you stirring things up. Our neighbor told us two federal agents knocked on her door, asking to poke around in her vegetable patch. She walked out there with them, the operator in the helicopter directed them to .... a rosemary bush. !!
Old Jul 26th 2010, 8:50 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

speaking off, someone I used to work with, neighbours got into trouble for growing in the back garden woods....they were found, most supidly, because they had filed a permit to put pipes in to irrigate their grounds and the town thought it odd that they didn't have any other permits to farm the land or anything else that might need irrigation
Old Jul 27th 2010, 12:36 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
Not ice cubes cola cubes they are worth more than their weight in gold
I'm naive when it comes to illegal drugs. Never heard of those.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 1:54 am
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Oh you poor thing will bring you back a bag next time I am home. They are the pinacle of loose british candy next to a strawberry bon bon of course or maybe a rhubarb and custard or a cola bottle...

oh crap I'm hungry again
Attached Thumbnails Kids & Yard Work -- How Much to Pay??-images.jpeg  
Old Jul 27th 2010, 7:30 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I once wanted to pay a neighbor's daughter to take care of my cat while I was going to be gone for 2 weeks. I think she was around 12 years old, which I thought was old enough to be able to put food in a bowl and scoop cat litter (and remember to lock my door behind her). I asked her if she wanted to do it, she said yes, so I said go tell your mom to come talk to me about it then. The mom came over and said no, she doesn't want her daughter to do it, because she's not responsible enough and didn't want anything to happen to my cat or my house. I just said OK fine...but I was thinking well, isn't this a good time for you to help TEACH her about responsibility?? Duh!

Rene
Old Jul 27th 2010, 8:49 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Have you got a warrant? If not, the answer is no. Easy, peasy.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 9:32 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
You want another world, local tree guy in our area makes $20K a month
No, I just think that kids should make the prevailing 'kid wage'...not minimum wage, but neither should they expect double what a normal working man makes who does manual labor.

As my Dad would have said, "It builds character"
Old Jul 27th 2010, 10:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

We have really good neighbors, we always do stuff for each other when away & have never exchanged money. However, this time we were away for a month and asked the kids to do some serious yard work when we were away.. mowing, moving some hostas from one place to another etc. We told them to record how many hours they put in and we'd pay them. They are aged 15 & 11. Now we are trying to work out how much to give them. Any ideas??
I agree with some of the others, minimum of $10/hour, otherwise it feels like you're taking advantage of them and can be hard work.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 11:10 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I don't know why but I have a vision of you at Woodstock, tripping on acid, tie dye tee shirt, dirty jeans...joint in hand, two boyfriends waiting for a roll in the hay (or mud as the case may have been) as Wavey Gravy incites the crowd and Hendrix takes the stage.

Either that, ot attending the Pro- Nixon/Pro Vietnam rally down the street.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 1:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
Oh you poor thing will bring you back a bag next time I am home. They are the pinacle of loose british candy next to a strawberry bon bon of course or maybe a rhubarb and custard or a cola bottle...

oh crap I'm hungry again
If you are starting a list, can I have some 'blackcurrant&liqorice please?
Old Jul 28th 2010, 1:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
If you are starting a list, can I have some 'blackcurrant&liqorice please?
Chocolate eclairs
Old Jul 28th 2010, 1:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bevinva
Chocolate eclairs
Oh good lord!
Old Jul 28th 2010, 1:57 pm
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
Oh good lord!
YES!!!!
Old Jul 28th 2010, 2:51 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ironporer
I don't know why but I have a vision of you at Woodstock, tripping on acid, tie dye tee shirt, dirty jeans...joint in hand, two boyfriends waiting for a roll in the hay (or mud as the case may have been) as Wavey Gravy incites the crowd and Hendrix takes the stage.

Either that, ot attending the Pro- Nixon/Pro Vietnam rally down the street.

Not pro-Nixon. Some of the other but not all of it. Never did acid or hard drugs. Got the munchies a few times though ;-) Didn't go to Woodstock. Remember I was married and a mom by the age of 20 which would have been 1968.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.