Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Kids view: This message is from Whatever's 11 year oldson

Kids view: This message is from Whatever's 11 year oldson

Old May 5th 2003, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

whatever will become famous soon enoughwhatever will become famous soon enough
Default Kids view: This message is from Whatever's 11 year oldson

I think that moving to a diffrent country SUCKS! Can someone pursuede me to move too america to leave family and school friends la de da de da.
I would like to hear from other kids that are moving to other countries etc. america. I am 11 years old. Thank you please.
Old May 6th 2003, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

Kattosha is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Kids view: This message is from Whatever's 11 year oldson

Originally posted by whatever
I think that moving to a diffrent country SUCKS! Can someone pursuede me to move too america to leave family and school friends la de da de da.
I would like to hear from other kids that are moving to other countries etc. america. I am 11 years old. Thank you please.

Its not the same situation but a few years ago(while I was still living in Canada) I had some cousins come and visit me from London. Both were male, one was 12 and the other 16....they tried to convince their parents to move to North America. One of them stated that the girls were better looking and the other one was a tech geek and fell in love with the computer superstores and claimed we had better video games.

But then again, its all a matter of perspective...you never really know if you will like something until you try it.
Old May 6th 2003, 10:11 pm
gpc
Forum Regular

gpc is an unknown quantity at this point

Look at it this way: you're bound to make plenty of new friends in the U.S. Heck, if it weren't for the kids in America, you wouldn't be able to say that things "sucked"!
Old May 7th 2003, 3:59 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

We have an english friend who moved here in November and they have 3 kids, 15, 12 and 3. The kids have really struggled to settle in as they have so few things in common with kids of the same age - No soccer, cricket and the music is completly different (no Gareth Gates here). The 15 year old especially has had trouble as school with the curriculum and both of them have had trouble with the way they (and words) they speak.

This all said the 2 eldest flew home for spring break for a week to see there maternal mother and couldn't wait to come back so they cant hate it that much.

These things take time, you can't go from one culture to another seamlessly!
Old May 7th 2003, 10:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya kiddo!! Yeah, moving is not easy on the kids, what with having to make new friends and go to a new school and all. When I was a kid, my dad moved us from state to state constantly. Take it from me, one state can be as different from another as night and day, but I adjusted and did fine each time. I think you'll find life in the US is much different than the UK. However, you'll find many things you like about the US, such as Florida and Disney. We have the best theme parks on earth here, so see, something to like already. Good luck on your move over, and don't worry, you'll be fine.
Old May 8th 2003, 9:09 pm
Emm
BE Enthusiast

Emm is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

My daughter is a little too young to reply to you herself but I can tell you about her. She will be just 7 when we go to the US and was 3 when we left England for Sweden.

She also has worries over moving, despite having done it once already. When we moved to Sweden the first 6 months were the most difficult for her (mainly beacuse she couldn't speak Swedish and so couldn't talk to other kids - so you won't have that problem) but now she loves it so much she doesn't want to leave here.

She is worried about leaving her friends behind and making new ones, the same as she was when we moved here.

You will have difficulties at first but I think in the long term the advantages are worth it. When I have asked other parents who have moved countries they say that their kids are very confident and outgoing.

If you have the chance go out there on holiday before you move, then you can get an idea of what it will be like. Otherwise you can do some websurfing on the area you will be moving to. All the schools over in the US have websites that you can look at too.

Goodluck and I hope you can find some good side to moving, if nothing else get your parents to throw a big party for you to say goodbye to your friends before you leave .

Emm.
Old May 9th 2003, 1:45 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Someone I worked with in London I had a colleague in London who was offered a posting to Australia. The whole family wanted to go, apart from their 12 year old daughter. Because she was so against it, they nearly turned down the move, which was a great promotion for her dad, and a great opportunity for all the family. In the end, the daughter agreed to go, and within a month of getting there she loved it. 6 years on, the family are preparing to move back to the UK and she is trying to get into an Australian university so she can stay!!

Moving to a new country can be tough - and it can be a bit scary, leaving your friends and clubs and a school that you're familiar with (if you ask your mum and dad honestly, I bet they'll admit they're scared as well, but they'll probably say apprehensive, or anxious, or nervous - but its all the same thing scared!) Its only natural, because you don't really know what you're coming to. But sometimes you have to do scary things, right? And once you're here, I'll bet you find you all love it. I don't know where you're going, so can't say what the weather or the schools or whatever are like, but we're in Texas and the schools are great, the weathers great, lots of people have swimming pools and bigger cars than they could have in Britain. And you'll make friends really easily because everyone wants to talk to you cos you've got a british accent!

Try not to worry about it too much - trust that your mum and dad really are looking out for you, take a deep breath and come on over. You really will wonder what you were worried about once you get here!! And make sure you drop us all a line so we know how you're getting on
Old May 9th 2003, 1:14 pm
Maltesers, Flake, Mars

kazzuk is an unknown quantity at this point

I know how you feel! I'm moving from the UK to America in 2 weeks and it's really hard and horrible saying bye to all of my friends, but on the bright side there are a lot of new things to do like make new friends and the weather, beaches and malls and stuff. I think when we get used to it it'll all be really cool!!!!!!!!
Old May 9th 2003, 3:24 pm
Maltesers, Flake, Mars

kazzuk is an unknown quantity at this point

The previous post was written by my 11 year old daughter