Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Kids and tea drinking

Kids and tea drinking

Old Jul 8th 2012, 7:05 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Kids and tea drinking

After a long time of being embarrassed by her English dad, my 6 year old is all of a sudden wanting to do things English.

She wants to go shopping for British/English 'biscuits' rather than cookies and she wants to drink tea. We have a plan this evening for an English night, which sounds like she plans for us to be dunking British biscuits in cups of tea.

Anyway, how much caffeine do you let your kids get? She has had a mug of tea each day for the last few nights, but she is far from finishing off the full mug, I have not noticed her having any more trouble sleeping or any other differences, but as it is school break, she is a bit out of routine anyway.

Her tea is fairly weak with milk, no sugar. We let her have an occasional soda, which I assume has about the same amount of caffine, but that is the exception rather than the rule.

I had no idea that kids would develop a liking for tea. So anyone have any guidelines on kids and tea drinking.
Old Jul 8th 2012, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

HighCountry will become famous soon enoughHighCountry will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Kids and tea drinking

I grew up drinking tea with almost every meal (no sugar, though). My parents never gave it a second thought and I wouldn't either.
Old Jul 8th 2012, 7:34 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

We let Dd (7) drink tea if she wants it. No side affects noticed. She doesn't get any soda though, we don't buy it.
She'll have a more than a few cups of tea occasionally then none for days on end.
Old Jul 8th 2012, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

According to this link, regular tea has anything from 14-61mg of caffeine, compared to 30-35mg for coke. I rarely drink tea but back in the UK I used to drink decaff, especially in the afternoons, none by evening.
Old Jul 8th 2012, 10:43 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Tea, generally is fine. Wouldn't get into the habit of adding sugar though...and it's much better than fizzy drinks.
Old Jul 8th 2012, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

I am a total tea junkie, couldn't live without it!!! Love my tea in the morning, especially in the Winter, I honestly wouldn't stop her drinking it, mine have all been brought up drinking it and I'd rather they drank that than Coke or some other crap!!
Old Jul 9th 2012, 12:45 am
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brat1
I am a total tea junkie, couldn't live without it!!! Love my tea in the morning, especially in the Winter, I honestly wouldn't stop her drinking it, mine have all been brought up drinking it and I'd rather they drank that than Coke or some other crap!!
All my kids drink tea - its better for them than coffee, I think and we all know it tastes far better.
Its good to get them to appreciate the custom and ritual of tea and bikkies anyway.

Still, all in moderation as 15 cups a day at age 8 probably isn't very wise.
Old Jul 9th 2012, 1:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Macca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond repute

The amount of caffeine in the tea will vary on the length of time the tea has been allowed to brew. The longer the infusion the greater the amount of caffeine. One unfinished mug of weak tea per day isn't going to do any damage.

Good to hear she's taking an interest in biccies instead of characterless US cookies. My number one favorite for many, many years has been the humble and unassuming custard cream.
Old Jul 9th 2012, 1:42 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

I am not a parent but I would have thought that having one's kid start to drink tea probably isn't too high up on the list of things that you need to be worried about ...
Old Jul 9th 2012, 3:36 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Macca67
My number one favorite for many, many years has been the humble and unassuming custard cream.
Shortbread, chocolate digestives, and ginger nuts.
Old Jul 9th 2012, 1:58 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Tea should be fine. I drank tea since I was probably 4 or 5, with breakfast and dinner and occasionally in between. Actually for a while my mum would fill my packed lunch flask with tea before she started using orange squash. I've let my son drink tea since I've lived here, so since he was 7, with no adverse effects. I try to dissuade him from using sugar because that ruins the taste of a good cuppa ...

I can't really speak for the effects of caffeine in tea, because other than its diuretic properties, caffeine has never had an effect on me, even when I used to drink coffee.
Old Jul 9th 2012, 1:58 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Bourbon Creams ...
Old Jul 9th 2012, 2:17 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Bourbon Creams ...
Jaffa Cakes
Old Jul 9th 2012, 2:23 pm
I have a comma problem

Jaffa Cakes
Now you're talking.
Old Jul 9th 2012, 2:48 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

I grew up drinking coffee (I stole my Dad's since I was little), probably since I was 5 or 6.

I don't think the odd cup of tea will have too much effect on them to be honest.

Mmmmmm, ginger nuts! I'd completely forgotten how much I like them!
Haven't had them in a good few years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.