Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Kids Got their GC/My first job interview

Kids Got their GC/My first job interview

Old Apr 22nd 2007, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Kids Got their GC/My first job interview

Busy last couple of days in our house!

Kids had their AOS interviews on Friday, 10 mins in and out, I suppose becaues i got mine 3 weeks previous. Even tho, it was a relief. After sitting in there for an hour and watching more and more people coming out with not so happy smiles on thier faces. Oh well that is us finished now for a while with immigration. Now we can start living proper.

Wednesday I went to a Job fair! Now that was an experience. I was amazed at what calibre of people were there. And I am going for my first job interview over here tomorrow (monday). What i got asked tho at the job fair was what sort of wage i was looking for, as i have never worked here before .... what do I say? I am out of this a little bit and scared... ARGH!!!!! so all help would be appreciated, to what sort of questions might be asked tomorrow and what sort of answers to give them. I know, dont want a lot do I.

And then there was this tax paper i had to fill out - dumbo me has never filed one out before, and they wanted 1 and 0s and number of kids. ?? Someone said to me just fill out 0s and then get a tax refund or hope to at the end of the year. advice would be appreciated.
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 6:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kids Got their GC/My first job interview

Originally Posted by Deedee13
..What i got asked tho at the job fair was what sort of wage i was looking for, as i have never worked here before .... what do I say? I am out of this a little bit and scared... ARGH!!!!! so all help would be appreciated, to what sort of questions might be asked tomorrow and what sort of answers to give them. I know, dont want a lot do I.
congrats on the AOS, and the job interview.

Ask for as much money as you think you can get plus 20%, it'll get knocked down, but once your earning, it's almost bugger all chance of getting a decent pay hike without changing jobs...But as for what bracket to ask and questions, depends on the type of job don't it...
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 8:04 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

They're asking you to fill out a W4 before you even interview???

Stick with zeros for two reasons: 1) You may get a refund (but you'll likely want to change it anyway after you have the job); 2) If they're trying to use it as a sneaky way of working out how many dependents you have, deny them that info.
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Texas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I can't offer any advice Dee as I've never been in your situation (over here anyway). Just wanted to say hope that it goes well tomorrow and that I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya!
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 11:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Busy last couple of days in our house!

Kids had their AOS interviews on Friday, 10 mins in and out, I suppose becaues i got mine 3 weeks previous. Even tho, it was a relief. After sitting in there for an hour and watching more and more people coming out with not so happy smiles on thier faces. Oh well that is us finished now for a while with immigration. Now we can start living proper.

Wednesday I went to a Job fair! Now that was an experience. I was amazed at what calibre of people were there. And I am going for my first job interview over here tomorrow (monday). What i got asked tho at the job fair was what sort of wage i was looking for, as i have never worked here before .... what do I say? I am out of this a little bit and scared... ARGH!!!!! so all help would be appreciated, to what sort of questions might be asked tomorrow and what sort of answers to give them. I know, dont want a lot do I.

And then there was this tax paper i had to fill out - dumbo me has never filed one out before, and they wanted 1 and 0s and number of kids. ?? Someone said to me just fill out 0s and then get a tax refund or hope to at the end of the year. advice would be appreciated.
Congrats. What kind of job?

You could try to check the internet to see what salaries are running - they vary wildly by type of job and area of the country.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

bugger and more bloody bugger!!! I went out yesterday and did 8 miles walking!! NOW I LOOK LIKE A FRIGGING TIN OF SALMON !! i HAVE MY BLOODY INTERVIEW IN 2 HOURS!!! and then to top it of white freeking circles around my bloody eyes!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FFS FFS FFS !!!!
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 12:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

bugger and more bloody bugger!!! I went out yesterday and did 8 miles walking!! NOW I LOOK LIKE A FRIGGING TIN OF SALMON !! i HAVE MY BLOODY INTERVIEW IN 2 HOURS!!! and then to top it of white freeking circles around my bloody eyes!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FFS FFS FFS !!!!
Oh ow! Aloe gel with lidocaine helps - Walgreens has it.

OW!
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 12:18 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Try to find out the average salary for your position in your area. There are tons of websites with the answer. If you are unsure, and have been out of the workforce for awhile, you can say something like 'I'd like to make something within the guidelines of your pay structure for a person of my experience" or some BS like that. Not more, not less--just on par with my colleagues.

But really go and find out what people are making through the various salary websites and then adjust according to your experience and abilities.

There are also a few threads around about the differences between UK and US job interviews that you might want to read. Generally speaking (and anecdotally) I find that the UK interviews are more of an oral skills test where they really go over some of the different things they expect you to do and the US interviews are more of a social event where they are asking 'yea, they can do the job, but is are they the kind of person I want in the office with us 8 hours a day?' Almost more of a social-interaction interview (just my two cents). Be ready for some small talk (in fact, you can turn your hike into a bit of a story of 'how was your weekend?')

BTW, I generally find that the specifics of a salary are not discussed in a first interview (like this). Of course it depends a lot on what position / area you are looking, but a discussion of pay and benefits might be a bit 'vague' at this first 'screening' interview.

Last edited by penguinsix; Apr 23rd 2007 at 12:21 pm.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 12:37 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Tell them it's a fashionable European look...do they know nothing?
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jumping doris
Tell them it's a fashionable European look...do they know nothing?
terrible interview. infact a bloody disaster. !!!!

but an experience i will take with me...
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 8:35 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Do tell, pray!!!
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 8:47 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

You walked 8 miles! Don't tell them at the interview, they will think you are from Mars (specially with the new odd look).

Good luck on your interviews.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 8:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear what happened
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 9:55 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Oh no!
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 10:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Texas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear that. Nothing ventured nothing gained, chin up onwards and upwards and all that bollocks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.