Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

kids glasses

kids glasses

Old Jun 30th 2013, 8:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

LeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond repute
Default kids glasses

So the other day, on our way home from school, my 6yr old announces his brand new glasses just broke (no idea how or why) and these were replacement glasses after his old ones "fell of his face during Art and crushed to the ground". So off we go to Boots Opticians, sign a form and they order him a new pair. No cost, no hassle, just an angry mum (me!).

So will I need to remortgage my house to pay for his replacement glasses in the US every time they crush to the ground for no apparent reason? We have Vison included in our health plan but as yet I have no idea what that covers. I'm guessing either way that it won't be as easy or as free as it is here.
Old Jun 30th 2013, 8:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: kids glasses

Originally Posted by LeavingLondon
So the other day, on our way home from school, my 6yr old announces his brand new glasses just broke (no idea how or why) and these were replacement glasses after his old ones "fell of his face during Art and crushed to the ground". So off we go to Boots Opticians, sign a form and they order him a new pair. No cost, no hassle, just an angry mum (me!).

So will I need to remortgage my house to pay for his replacement glasses in the US every time they crush to the ground for no apparent reason? We have Vison included in our health plan but as yet I have no idea what that covers. I'm guessing either way that it won't be as easy or as free as it is here.
Normally vision coverage covers lenses and frames to a maximum amount (about $300) every two years and eye exams annually. Some plans may also have a small deductible. Anything beyond that is normally out of pocket. Generally the $300 will cover reasonable frames and normal lenses but won't cover $200+ frames, tint, blended bifocals, and the latest ultra clear lenses.
Old Jun 30th 2013, 8:30 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

My vision coverage does not have accidental damage coverage, but the only time I have broken glasses here, it was a pair of Maui Jim sunglasses, and they had a 1 year MJ warranty on them so I got a free replacement.

As an aside, I'm about to drop my vision coverage as it isn't worth the premium we pay (its just gone up to 70 per month which gives family coverage, although only 2 of us wear glasses)
Old Jun 30th 2013, 10:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Vision coverage seems very variable. I have usually found the optician I want to go to is out of network and they wont cover anything.

Not tried it but I have heard many people get the prescription then go online and buy the actual glasses for about $20 from China. Trying to remember one of the sites.

Zennioptical.com I think is one
Old Jun 30th 2013, 11:11 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Vision coverage seems very variable. I have usually found the optician I want to go to is out of network and they wont cover anything.

Not tried it but I have heard many people get the prescription then go online and buy the actual glasses for about $20 from China. Trying to remember one of the sites.

Zennioptical.com I think is one
That's one. Coastal Optical is another. I know many people who have been more than happy with their <$50 glasses.
Old Jun 30th 2013, 11:46 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

I believe Walmart vision centers offer a 1-year damage warranty on children's frames. Our last set for our daughter were covered - not sure on the current situation.
Old Jun 30th 2013, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

My 9 year old needs glasses and we get them from Coastal and have not had any problems with it. One pair came with the wrong prescription and we called and they sent a replacement pair straight away and we returned the faulty ones no problem.
Old Jul 1st 2013, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

We've been buying from zennioptical.com for years and have never had a problem. In fact, my last pair had to be returned, but it turned out I had copied the prescription wrong, and they still refunded 50% of the cost!

Glasses available from about $7 complete, so you can afford a few pairs for emergencies and not be out of pocket much (shipping is a flat rate $5).
Old Jul 1st 2013, 2:21 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

I think it all depends on the plan and also on your vision. I do very well on the vision coverage I have but it's heavily subsidized by my company (whole family vision costs me about $6/month).

For me, it's significantly cheaper here than in the UK to buy glasses (about 1/4 the price). I have a fairly complex prescription though so the copay limits for different lens options really help me out.

To the OP - I'm assuming these were on the NHS? Obviously, once he reaches a certain age (16?) they're no longer free in the UK and also get pricey!

The different plans you can elect have different frame maximums and different copays for the various lens types/treatments. I elected for a plan that allows me to get a new pair of glasses every year (most plans are every 2 years).

As a child it will probably be more expensive than the UK, as an adult it's definitely cheaper.
Old Jul 1st 2013, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

tipex will become famous soon enoughtipex will become famous soon enough

we just went the other day. I bought Oakley glasses with a breakage insurance and it came to $138 in total.
My daughters glasses came to $170 and this was for raybans and breakage.
The breakage insurance replaces the glasses complete without any question, the guy in the optician said before it runs out come and get a new pair because the lenses will scratch up.
I shopped around a lot and actually found lens crafters cheaper on frames because they were offering 30% off if you did not use insurance. To me it's all a rip off, our frame allowance was $130 dollars each but you could not find a pair that were nice for under $160. Lenses seem to be the most expensive, they were charging $80 for anti glare coating WTF! Plus other things like scratch resistant, uv protection etc.. I bought in the uk a pair of Police designer frames 2012 design with Crizal lenses (the Best) all in for £180, now that's cheap!
I have to keep my insurance just for my child, she has pretty bad eyes otherwise I wouldn't bother with it. This year I bought a cheap pair on the internet from glasses direct, all in for less than $50, not designer but lenses were anti glare and scratch resistant
Old Jul 1st 2013, 2:40 pm
Just Joined

tnguy is an unknown quantity at this point

It's important to remember that a vision plan is not really insurance but a payment plan. Since they need to make a profit off of it, you should consider whether it is worth having compared to paying out of pocket.

Also bear in mind that it is not "free" on the NHS. Someone had to pay for them.
Old Jul 1st 2013, 3:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

LeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all. I'll be sure to look up those options when we arrive and when he needs a new pair. In the meantime, I'll have to wrap up his glasses in cotton wool I think so that they last longer than a week this time (normally he's pretty good and doesn't lose them but being only 6, they do tend to get broken easily, usually by his classmates though). Thank god for the NHS!
Old Jul 1st 2013, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

tipex will become famous soon enoughtipex will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by tipex
we just went the other day. I bought Oakley glasses with a breakage insurance and it came to $138 in total.
My daughters glasses came to $170 and this was for raybans and breakage.
The breakage insurance replaces the glasses complete without any question, the guy in the optician said before it runs out come and get a new pair because the lenses will scratch up.
I shopped around a lot and actually found lens crafters cheaper on frames because they were offering 30% off if you did not use insurance. To me it's all a rip off, our frame allowance was $130 dollars each but you could not find a pair that were nice for under $160. Lenses seem to be the most expensive, they were charging $80 for anti glare coating WTF! Plus other things like scratch resistant, uv protection etc.. I bought in the uk a pair of Police designer frames 2012 design with Crizal lenses (the Best) all in for £180, now that's cheap!
I have to keep my insurance just for my child, she has pretty bad eyes otherwise I wouldn't bother with it. This year I bought a cheap pair on the internet from glasses direct, all in for less than $50, not designer but lenses were anti glare and scratch resistant

oops! my bad.

it was glasses usa for $50
Old Jul 1st 2013, 5:10 pm
Just Joined

tnguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks all. I'll be sure to look up those options when we arrive and when he needs a new pair. In the meantime, I'll have to wrap up his glasses in cotton wool I think so that they last longer than a week this time (normally he's pretty good and doesn't lose them but being only 6, they do tend to get broken easily, usually by his classmates though). Thank god for the NHS!
I don't know how much extra it is but they have those frames that are supposed to be extremely difficult to break. (Flexon is the first one that springs up on Google).
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 4:35 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tnguy
I don't know how much extra it is but they have those frames that are supposed to be extremely difficult to break. (Flexon is the first one that springs up on Google).
I had some flexon myself a few years back when the kids were young, and they were good. I think they were titanium, so they just sprang back to original shape when the kids bent them.

A lot of the elementary age kids round us are wearing those really thick plastic frames with a strap round the back of the head - I think they are meant for sports as they look like something I used to wear while playing squash when I had contacts, but the kids wear them as their regular glasses, presumably to avoid the problems you're having (OP). First time I saw them they looked pretty goofy,but so many kids are wearing them that no-one bats an eyelid.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.