British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Kids Clothing? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/kids-clothing-714732/)

Bob Apr 26th 2011 6:39 pm

Kids Clothing?

So those with kids, especially young ones, where do you shop?

77 Kids - Just opened up recently in the mall, have to say I rather like the store, lot of fun to keep the kid amused with doodle boards, chalk boards, print your own photo that you can doodle on, all kinds of stuff like that. Also they mentioned that if any of the clothes fade or fall apart, you can exchange them however old which I thought was great. Socks, expensive if you lose one they'll give you another if you bring the one in, which was cool.

Clothes were really soft, nice prints, apart from little babies stuff being cute, the toddler stuff was just nice without being naff cutesy rubbish.

Amused because generally, I don't like American Eagle and their other stores, apart from the now defunct Martin and Osa.

Okaidi - Really nice kids clothes, great quality, bit pricey though but they have awesomely good sales/clearance stuff

Naartjie - South African I think? Anyway, weirdly the boys stuff is really nice which usually isn't the case, but the girls stuff is a bit meh, but all very good quality. Bit pricey but somethings like dresses aren't badly priced, crap sales though.

Hanna Andersson - I know it's popular and they often have good sales, but most of the clothes are just minging aren't they? Great quality though

Janie and Jack - Really lovely, good looking clothes, well expensive. They do have some of the best sales and clearance racks though, especially for smart holiday type outfits

Jacardi - Really pretty girls clothes, awesome quality, just crap designs in that onesies don't have snaps up the legs kind of thing. Also well expensive and our local one is only kept in business because Jonathan Papelbon goes in every month and buys about $8K worth of stuff a shot, otherwise it's ghost town empty in there

The regular cheap stuff, Children's Place - really don't like most of the stuff, all too cutesy and naff, great for babies but not toddles, especially girls, but they do lovely PJ's and have great coupons and sales...mare to get around with a pushchair.

Gymboree, not to nice every day stuff, but nice holiday outfits and great coupons.

Carters, great for babies, great sales, but I hate going in there unless they have clearance sales as there's just no room to get about with a pushchair, been that way with the 3 or so I've been too and no nappy changing tables either.

Gap Kids, superb sales, generally okay, but a lot of stuff is too cutesy and the jeans are horrid looking and I've yet been into one that had decent room to get around in with a pushchair. Loyalty store card is great though even if you've a Banana Republic or Old Navy etc card.

Old Navy, not great quality, but good enough, cheap and not bad looking clothes, skanky jeans though.

Zara Kids - Awesome clothes that are classical and not skanky and they've the best none naff glittery skank type jeans around, but sod paying $10 less than an adult pair though. Pretty good sales and well priced t-shirts though.

Target - Nice stuff, more the every day clothes and great clearance prices and the new one around us has a bit of room to get around with a pushchair, most of the others have been a mare though.

Got to be some weird and fun looking stuff out there? Anyone had much luck ordering stuff online from the UK such as M&S for kids? My mother has sent some lovely clothes and the M&S premie onesies were the best as they also snapped up along the arms, and anyone that has tried to dress something that curled up into a ball knows, biggest pain in the arse that is :lol:

Mummy in the foothills Apr 26th 2011 7:10 pm

Re: Kids Clothing?

We buy a lot of Hanna Andersson, Lands End, Gymboree and Gap for our just turned 6 year old who is now in a size 7
Hannas work especially well the play dress with capris or bike shorts seeing she is unable to stop flashing her knickers at all and sundry. Once she stops she can go without the extra layer under there. They make great quality knickers for girls, the classics aren't bikini style or thongs and cover her bubble bum nicely and they stay in place the fabric also isn't see though like the ones you get at Wlamart or Target.
Gymboree are good so are Gap but I have to watch out for the stuff they make that is short in the waist, she then flashes butt crack every time she moves, I think she wants to change her name to Angel and learn to dance around a pole :eek:

kimilseung Apr 26th 2011 7:15 pm

Second hand, you get all of the above, for pennies, in good condition. Buy the good stuff, leave the bad stuff. It allows for quite an extensive and varied wardrobe.

Bob Apr 26th 2011 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 9328003)
...Lands End...

Just noticed that Sears is selling French Connection, but naffly re-branded as UK Styles, French Connection, rather than ****.

Mummy in the foothills Apr 26th 2011 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 9328015)
Second hand, you get all of the above, for pennies, in good condition. Buy the good stuff, leave the bad stuff. It allows for quite an extensive and varied wardrobe.

We do that too, but I have noticed as Dd gets older the pickings get slimmer at the thrift stores near us, but we have had Hanna, Gymbo and Carters etc for next to nothing, we bought most of her clothes that way when she was a baby, they don't seem to wear them out at that age do they, so the used were like new.
I get my own Liz Claiborne, Gap, J Jill and all kinds of other lovely things, for myself for next to nothing.

Mummy in the foothills Apr 26th 2011 8:34 pm

Ooops my mistake

kimilseung Apr 26th 2011 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 9328130)
Ooops my mistake

**** was my assumption (lets see what happens)

edit, wow, it does blank that, lets try again.....F C U K

Mummy in the foothills Apr 26th 2011 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 9328139)
**** was my assumption (lets see what happens)

edit, wow, it does blank that, lets try again.....F C U K

:lol:

naomi Apr 26th 2011 10:14 pm

Mainly Old Navy and Target. For something special, I really like Boden, but they are pricey.

N1cky Apr 27th 2011 1:34 am

Since turning 7, the only American shop my daughter will now shop in is Justice. Their stuff is actully pretty decent as long as you wait for the 40% sales or coupon, which seem to be every month anyway.

NatashaB Apr 27th 2011 12:44 pm

Sears seems to be good for kids clothes - they always have everything on sale or clearance. Old Navy is nice too and they usually have coupons for $10 off $50 if you sign up to their list. I got one of those Target debit cards the other day which gives you 5% off your shop there too.

For baby stuff though I really need to stop buying new and start looking on eBay where people sell stuff bundled by age for very cheap. Carters never seem to sell anything at full price, they always have sales on or Biglots and Walmart stock the Carters range and everything seems to be cheaper than the Carters stores.

Bob Apr 27th 2011 3:08 pm

For second hand places....current town is a bit slim pickings, actually it's really shit, but freecycle isn't to bad.

Where we used to live, there were quite a few nice second hand kids type shops, one of them was great in the summer though as they had sale bags that you paid for the size of the bag and stuffed as many clothes as you could into them.

Anyone living in the burbs of Boston, around Needham and further out, there's around 3 or 4 really quality kids shops on Rt9, also two of them are great for getting used carseats/buggies and that kind of thing as they're really particular on not having anything to old and including instructions etc.

meauxna Apr 27th 2011 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9329754)
For second hand places....current town is a bit slim pickings, actually it's really shit, but freecycle isn't to bad.

Where we used to live, there were quite a few nice second hand kids type shops, one of them was great in the summer though as they had sale bags that you paid for the size of the bag and stuffed as many clothes as you could into them.

Anyone living in the burbs of Boston, around Needham and further out, there's around 3 or 4 really quality kids shops on Rt9, also two of them are great for getting used carseats/buggies and that kind of thing as they're really particular on not having anything to old and including instructions etc.

Have you thought about changing career direction? Maybe that's a business you could explore for your town.
Seriously, the skills you've picked up over the past couple/few years could serve you pretty well.

Ozzidoc Apr 29th 2011 12:10 am

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 9330119)
Have you thought about changing career direction? Maybe that's a business you could explore for your town.
Seriously, the skills you've picked up over the past couple/few years could serve you pretty well.

Agree!

"Baby Consultant" sounds like a good title :)

meauxna Apr 29th 2011 12:17 am

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc (Post 9332691)
Agree!

"Baby Consultant" sounds like a good title :)

He could be a Droola instead of a Doula! :rofl: I crack myself up.
(if you use that name I want a TM cut!)