Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Kids Carrying Greencards at All Times?

Kids Carrying Greencards at All Times?

Old Jan 20th 2006, 3:29 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kids Carrying Greencards at All Times?

Originally Posted by Boiler
Perhaps I should learn to speak with an american accent in case I am ever questioned.
pmsl..I've joked about this...and reckon I could muster up a pretty good Texan drawl if need be
Old Jan 20th 2006, 3:41 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Boiler
Yes

You should have been carrying it anyway!

$100 fine sounds a much better deal to me than the cost and hassle of replacing it. My office do not stamp so I do not have that as a back up.
Its not so much the $100 fine as the blot on your record if you come to naturalize.
Old Jan 20th 2006, 3:41 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
pmsl..I've joked about this...and reckon I could muster up a pretty good Texan drawl if need be
Would that be classed as pretending to be a USC? Which is a deportable offence.
Old Jan 20th 2006, 3:45 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Its not so much the $100 fine as the blot on your record if you come to naturalize.
Can not see why it would have any effect on naturalisation. Not a CIMT.
Old Jan 20th 2006, 3:54 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
What happens if:

Passport stamped with Temporary Evidence of Permanent status.

After 6 months Green Card not yet received.

Passport expiring, needs to be sent of with application for new one.

What do you do in the two weeks it takes for passport to come back? Is a photocopy of stamp in passport sufficient evidence of legal status?
You just proved what a dumbass law it it ...
Lasy year the USCIS site stated you did not have to carry it at all times...
just know where it was if needed .. but they removed that now ...

I have been stopped three times ..never been asked for it so far ..

Has anyone ever heard of a prosecution for it????
Old Jan 20th 2006, 4:02 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
I'm guessing you mean while driving? when would you ever be asked for it anyway...even if you were in a collision ..wouldn't drivers licence and insurance be all you really needed? I think maybe if you were caught breaking the law anyway then the questions about your green card would arise but I've been here 10 years and never once been randomly asked to show my GC.
Old Jan 20th 2006, 4:11 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Ray
You just proved what a dumbass law it it ...
Lasy year the USCIS site stated you did not have to carry it at all times...
just know where it was if needed .. but they removed that now ...

Not to my knowledge.

Its just more bureaucracy in action.
Old Jan 20th 2006, 4:12 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
bureaucracy in action.
An oxymoron if ever I heard one
Old Jan 20th 2006, 4:13 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
An oxymoron if ever I heard one
LOL. Ok its more a case of bureaucracy in inaction
Old Jan 20th 2006, 7:45 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Not prosecutions, no. But the Border Patrol down here (NM and AZ) has stopped people at checkpoints and on small roads within a couple of hundred miles of the border and detained foreigners who didn't have their documents. Usually just a couple of hours, but you never know.

As someone on our mailing list said, "It takes an immigration lawyer to fully appreciate the subtleties between "carrying at all time" and "having in your possession at all times"
Old Jan 20th 2006, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

deng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
I'm guessing you mean while driving? when would you ever be asked for it anyway...even if you were in a collision ..wouldn't drivers licence and insurance be all you really needed? I think maybe if you were caught breaking the law anyway then the questions about your green card would arise but I've been here 10 years and never once been randomly asked to show my GC.
Prior to naturalizing I also got pulled over by the border patrol. Because I live in an area 100 miles to the Canadian border, they do sometimes set up check points to look for illegal aliens. The first question they asked me and others in the car was "Citizenship." When I told them I was a permanent resident and that I didn't have my card, he was a little annoyed and lectured me on the law, then let me go but warned me "next time we'll pull you over for furhter questioning." The reality of it, speaking from my limited experience, is that they have bigger fish to fry and a legal resident forgetting to carry their card is at the bottom of their to do list.
Although this doesn't take away from the fact that you *can* be penalized under the law, I think it is unlikely. Most border checkpoints are at or near the border, and in those areas they really are just looking for blatantly obvious border jumpers on their way to the major cities. For the 6 years I was a resident, I never carried my card around (even living in immigrant heavy areas like Miami) and never had problems and I certainly didn't lose sleep over it.

Last edited by deng890; Jan 20th 2006 at 8:09 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2006, 8:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

geordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to behold

my friend was stopped for speeding just inside the mexico/arizona border and was told she should always carry her paaport until she recieved her greencard.
As for the kids it never even occured to me for them to carry theirs until this thread so i'm glad its been clarified before i had time to wonder about it.
Old Jan 20th 2006, 9:00 pm
I love Marmite, she don't

franc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to behold

Come on, you don't have to carry your green card with you.

First, the chances you will EVER be asked for it, as slim to zero. If you were standing on a street corner with a bunch of migrant workers, maybe more than slim. It's not a LAW.

Many people don't have a green card, only an I-551 stamp.

What cop is going to ask you for anything about your citizenship, even if you get stopped.

Sure, your green card should be available (at home) but they cannot deport you if you don't have it and as for fines - give me a break, I know hundreds of Americans and foreiners and NOT ONE HAS EVER been asked for it when stopped for speeding or anything.

PLEASE - don't buy into this.... Just for the one in a million chance you are stopped, you are stopped by someone who wants to know what nationailty you are, they know they law and they want to waste their time following through. chances people - SLIM TO ZERO..

Was this thread serious.. ? (Maybe if you live near the border - it makes practical sense - maybe).
Old Jan 20th 2006, 9:01 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by geordiegirl2
my friend was stopped for speeding just inside the mexico/arizona border and was told she should always carry her paaport until she recieved her greencard.
As for the kids it never even occured to me for them to carry theirs until this thread so i'm glad its been clarified before i had time to wonder about it.
Not to appear to be stereotyping but if you are British I doubt you'll be given much hassle unless you give good reason for it. In the same way a visitor to the UK is supposed to carry their passport/visa at all times but I never once asked for or knew of any of my colleagues bothering to ask for such when dealing with Americans, Europeans or Australasians. Call it profiling or called it racism - and call it right or wrong - but you are far more likely to be questioned over immigration legalities if you fit certain criteria.
Old Jan 20th 2006, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by franc111s
Come on, you don't have to carry your green card with you.

PLEASE - don't buy into this
Just because nobody ever gets fined (how do you know for certain?) and all that doesn't mean it's bullchit. The INA says everyone 18 yrs and over has to carry it at all times. Whether that can be done practically, whether you or anyone chooses to do so or not, and/or whether you'll ever get asked for it has nothing to do with that.

Elaine

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.