Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Kids Carrying Greencards at All Times?

Kids Carrying Greencards at All Times?

Old Jan 20th 2006, 6:09 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute
Default Kids Carrying Greencards at All Times?

My greencard arrived on Tuesday along with my son's. Now, I know I have to carry mine at all times but what about him? He's a minor.

I'm assuming he's not expected to carry it.

But am I expected to carry it for him?
Or can we just leave his at home?
Old Jan 20th 2006, 6:10 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Kids Carrying Greencards at All Times?

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
My greencard arrived on Tuesday along with my son's. Now, I know I have to carry mine at all times but what about him? He's a minor.

I'm assuming he's not expected to carry it.

But am I expected to carry it for him?
Or can we just leave his at home?
I would give him a copy.

He is expected to carry it.
Old Jan 20th 2006, 6:13 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

What Boiler says.
Old Jan 20th 2006, 6:42 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
What Boiler says.
He's 9 years old! The only things he carries are what he was born with. Come on. This can't be the case. What about a 4 year old or an 18 month old.
Old Jan 20th 2006, 6:42 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

Originally Posted by Boiler
I would give him a copy.

He is expected to carry it.
Those two sentences do not concur. If he is expected to carry it then a copy will not suffice.
Old Jan 20th 2006, 6:48 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Those two sentences do not concur. If he is expected to carry it then a copy will not suffice.
Very true. But you're not going to let him carry the real thing, are you?

Look at it this way - standard ID is a driving licence. No kid that age has one. So I wouldn't get too worried about it unless you go somewhere near the Mexican border.
Old Jan 20th 2006, 6:50 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

Very true. But you're not going to let him carry the real thing, are you?
Not if I don't have to. So, does he have to carry the real thing, if he doesn't have to carry the real thing then do I have to carry it? Or can we leave it at home, or does he indeed have to carry a copy?

Definitive answers on a post back please.
Old Jan 20th 2006, 6:51 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

Look at it this way - standard ID is a driving licence. No kid that age has one. So I wouldn't get too worried about it unless you go somewhere near the Mexican border.
You edited while I was replying.

My answer to that would be. What is the law on this? I'm interested to know. Can't imagine it's so silly.

---
1w 2:22 smoke-free, 106 cigs not smoked, $18.55 saved, 8:50 life saved
Old Jan 20th 2006, 7:10 am
Powder Maggot

It was silly enough to get the thing, right? Not much changes after.

Most people I know do not carry their GCs about town, even though all GC holders are supposed to have it available at all times. Almost everyone I know DOES carry it when they go south of Albuquerque because the Border Patrol will give you a very hard time if they stop you and you don't have it. But since you'll be with your kid, you'll probably want to carry it for him in that situation.
Old Jan 20th 2006, 12:21 pm

robskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond repute

I carry my girls with me, just in case. Although, a friend of mine lost her purse recently and it had green card and everything in it, I should probably carry them in a separate wallet really.....
Old Jan 20th 2006, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, you only have to carry your PR card on you all the time when you're over 18.

To convince you, here's a quote on this that I found, from someone who should know:

d) Certificate of alien registration or alien receipt card
Every alien in the United States who has been registered and fingerprinted under the provisions of the Alien Registration Act, 1940, or under the provisions of this chapter shall be issued a certificate of alien registration or an alien registration receipt card in such form and manner and at such time as shall be prescribed under regulations issued by the Attorney General.

(e) Personal possession of registration or receipt card; penalties
Every alien, eighteen years of age and over, shall at all times carry with him and have in his personal possession any certificate of alien registration or alien registration receipt card issued to him pursuant to subsection (d) of this section. Any alien who fails to comply with the provisions of this subsection shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall upon conviction for each offense be fined not to exceed $100 or be imprisoned not more than thirty days, or both.

Title 8, Chapter 12, Subchapter II, Part VII, Sec. 1304 (INA).

So that would be the law.

Elaine
Old Jan 20th 2006, 12:49 pm
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

I'd better take mine out of the safety deposit box then
Old Jan 20th 2006, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

You edited while I was replying.

My answer to that would be. What is the law on this? I'm interested to know. Can't imagine it's so silly.

---
1w 2:22 smoke-free, 106 cigs not smoked, $18.55 saved, 8:50 life saved
Just check the Gov sources online...
Old Jan 20th 2006, 1:24 pm
Vegas Baby

vegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond repute

I think I would rather risk the $100 fine than the risk of losing the card I'll be leaving mine safe at home.
Old Jan 20th 2006, 1:26 pm
roamin in the gloamin

clydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vegas
I think I would rather risk the $100 fine than the risk of losing the card I'll be leaving mine safe at home.
Me too .I never carry my green card around with me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.