Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Kid finds gun at our local park

Kid finds gun at our local park

Old Apr 21st 2007, 4:49 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kid finds gun at our local park

Originally Posted by Texas Mom
Our little lad plays regularly with the little girl next door at her house. Her dad is a police officer and I know for a fact that he has guns kept in a gun locker (or whatever the technical term maybe) in the closet of his master bedroom, the door to which is locked and the door to the bedroom is also locked. I only know this as they are close neighbors and told us this.
As you rightly point out how do you know who is telling the truth. Whilst my sons safety is my number one concern we still have to live our day to day lives. Most times my son goes over there to play he is in the yard and hardly ever inside the house.
I suppose I was thinking more of your little 'Johnny" meeting a new friend and wanting to play in their house and you didn't know the family.
I would hope a police officer is very pro gun safety and be very careful.

My best friend in VA husband had guns..he was a hunter..but in the basement there was a locked door, then a double locked cabinet with unloaded guns in with safety on (apparently) they had 3 children and I know they took gun safety seriously. But its the childrens friends parents that you don't know must be hard.

But then I'd be more worried if they were molesters etc as well as is they owned guns.

edit sorry when I was saying 'your' I was meaning generally not actually Texas mum!!

Last edited by Irn-bru; Apr 21st 2007 at 5:11 pm.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 5:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Texas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irn-bru
I suppose I was thinking more of your little 'Johnny" meeting a new friend and wanting to play in their house and you didn't know the family.
I would hope a police officer is very pro gun safety and be very careful.

My best friend in VA husband had guns..he was a hunter..but in the basement there was a locked door, then a double locked cabinet with unloaded guns in with safety on (apparently) they had 3 children and I know they took gun safety seriously. But its the childrens friends parents that you don't know must be hard.

But then I'd be more worried if they were molesters etc as well as is they owned guns.

edit sorry when I was saying 'your' I was meaning generally not actually Texas mum!!

I understand completely and whilst it's not an issue I take lightly (guns) I as a parent am more concerned about molesters. Especially as we live in a new area which is still under development and you don't know who's moving in. I regularly check the Family Watchdog site which is excellent and tells you their exact address and how far they live from you etc. A totally different subject I know but these are the issues us parents face when meeting new friends and allowing our kids to go play at their houses.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 5:51 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

I understand completely and whilst it's not an issue I take lightly (guns) I as a parent am more concerned about molesters. Especially as we live in a new area which is still under development and you don't know who's moving in. I regularly check the Family Watchdog site which is excellent and tells you their exact address and how far they live from you etc. A totally different subject I know but these are the issues us parents face when meeting new friends and allowing our kids to go play at their houses.
Whilst they are little, I would also be more concerned about potential molestors. However, things are somewhat different when they are teenagers. We can educate and advise our own children, but we have no control over other people's.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Texas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Whilst they are little, I would also be more concerned about potential molestors. However, things are somewhat different when they are teenagers. We can educate and advise our own children, but we have no control over other people's.
Totally agree and I suppose I will cross that bridge in due time as my boys grow up.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 6:08 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Yes same here, I think because my niece and nephew are young thats what I am worried about (also they are in the UK) if they were here, guns would just give me something more to worry about for them!
I agree in the US I think every parent/one should know about
http://www.familywatchdog.us/.

Teenagers I agree Elvira in this day and age, I'd be so concerned about re gangs, guns, cars etc, must be hard!
Old Apr 21st 2007, 6:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart
Ray already made his position clear on his guns earlier in the week;

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...&postcount=763

Here's Ray's motive(s), which he calls his 'toys'

http://britishexpats.com/photopost/s...user=9793&sl=r

That doesn't invalidate any points he's making... just confirms what side of the discussion he's on!
Old Apr 21st 2007, 6:39 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Ray already made his position clear on his guns earlier in the week;

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...&postcount=763

Here's Ray's motive(s), which he calls his 'toys'

http://britishexpats.com/photopost/s...user=9793&sl=r
Originally Posted by anotherlimey
That doesn't invalidate any points he's making... just confirms what side of the discussion he's on!
You're quick aren't you.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 6:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

You're quick aren't you.
You didn't have to post the picture though did you?

You could have just posted the links, but no..

There's no need for the provocation - "Here's Ray's motive(s)".

Last edited by anotherlimey; Apr 21st 2007 at 7:05 pm.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 7:14 pm
Banned

Haggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Getting back to the original news story and the implications thereof...

What do people with children do here re. having them visit homes of friends whose parents keep guns?
My in-laws have guns I do not allow my daughter to stay overnight with them even though they keep their guns looked in the bedroom. My daughter is 5 and if she wants to play with a friend they can have a playdate at the park. Now it turns out the park is not even safe. I would not let her play at someone else's house because for all I know they could be a serial killer or a paedophile.

Last edited by Haggerwood; Apr 21st 2007 at 7:25 pm.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 7:25 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

With a teenage boy myself...guns never crossed my mind...in fact I've never seen a gun in the USA in 7 years apart from on a cop....in England I knew tons of people who owned guns..

My biggest worry with teenagers are cars drink and drugs....
Old Apr 21st 2007, 7:38 pm
Banned

Haggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond repute

Some interesting statistics

http://www.bradycampaign.org/facts/factsheets/
Old Apr 21st 2007, 7:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by haggerwood
And to add balance to them - - I have to post this:

http://www.nraila.org/issues/
Old Apr 21st 2007, 8:07 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
That's OK. They think the owner just dropped it. So, rather than prosecute the reckless ****ing moron, they're going to track him down so they can return it to him.

I'm sure all you gun owners on these boards will be quick to point out how this is the right and proper thing to do. After all, guns don't kill people - kids with guns kill people, eh?
... and what law/crime would the owner of the handgun be charged with?
Old Apr 21st 2007, 8:14 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
... and what law/crime would the owner of the handgun be charged with?
Playing in a sandbox with malice aforethought
Old Apr 21st 2007, 8:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
After all, guns don't kill people - kids with guns kill people, eh?
Well, in a roundabout way.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.