Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Kid finds gun at our local park

Kid finds gun at our local park

Old Apr 21st 2007, 3:55 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kid finds gun at our local park

Originally Posted by danfan
Like I said, stolen is different (again, unless it's left lying around for anyone to pick it up and use).
But according to this story "Investigators tell CBS 11 News the gun was not buried or hidden and was most likely dropped by the owner."
Which is course is terrible journalism ...making a pure presumption ...
the person in possession would have lost or disposed of it ...
not neccessarily the owner ...
Old Apr 21st 2007, 4:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Very well could be. I am basing my opinions though on what I've been given.
A stolen gun, of course, should be reported - even if only to cover the owner's ass if it's used in a crime!
Old Apr 21st 2007, 4:01 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
I agree.

However, whichever way you look at it, the more guns there are in circulation, the more there are to get lost or stolen...
Old Apr 21st 2007, 4:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
I agree.

However, whichever way you look at it, the more guns there are in circulation, the more there are to get lost or stolen...
From another news source on the same story
" The gun was not buried and may have fallen out of someone’s pocket or boot, police said. The gun did not appear to be stolen, and investigators were working to identify its owner."

Again, could be terrible journalism. Both imply the police stated it's their belief that it's not stolen - maybe based on the fact that a stolen gun would probably have been reported stolen if the owner was aware of it being missing.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 4:09 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Ray already made his position clear on his guns earlier in the week;

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...&postcount=763

Here's Ray's motive(s), which he calls his 'toys'

Attached Thumbnails Kid finds gun at our local park-guns2.jpg  

Last edited by Lord Lionheart; Apr 21st 2007 at 4:11 pm.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 4:12 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart
Ray already made his position clear on his guns earlier in the week;
]
I don't remember giving you permission to reproduce my pic ....
Old Apr 21st 2007, 4:18 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
I don't remember giving you permission to reproduce my pic ....
Tough, sue me. I thought you'd be proud of your 'toys'
Old Apr 21st 2007, 4:23 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Kid finds gun at our local park

Getting back to the original news story and the implications thereof...

What do people with children do here re. having them visit homes of friends whose parents keep guns?
Old Apr 21st 2007, 4:23 pm
Ray

Tough, sue me. I thought you'd be proud of your 'toys'
..Typical you ....
Old Apr 21st 2007, 4:26 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Ray
..Typical you ....
Thank you. Who else would I be
Old Apr 21st 2007, 4:27 pm
Homebody

Thank you. Who else would I be
Tom, do you allow your kids to play at the home of people who own guns?
Old Apr 21st 2007, 4:32 pm
Banned

Tom, do you allow your kids to play at the home of people who own guns?
It's not usually a question I ever think of to be honest. If it were brought to my attention I wouldn't feel comfortable unless I was 100% sure the guns were safe behind very secure locks and keys and not loaded
Old Apr 21st 2007, 4:33 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Getting back to the original news story and the implications thereof...

What do people with children do here re. having them visit homes of friends whose parents keep guns?
I don't have children but I'd be the same as you..but it must be hard for a parent to get the phone number of every parent who is a stranger to you and ask questions ..where do you keep your gun...is it locked...is the key to that lock in the house etc as they might not want to give too much info out for security purposes. And they might just tell you what you want to hear and not that they have that 'hidden' gun under the bed etc.

And even if the gun is locked up the parents might not know that the child knows the combination or where the key is (if they are wee terrors and weren't taught how to respect guns etc)
Old Apr 21st 2007, 4:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Texas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irn-bru
I don't have children but I'd be the same as you..but it must be hard for a parent to get the phone number of every parent who is a stranger to you and ask questions ..where do you keep your gun...is it locked...is the key to that lock in the house etc as they might not want to give too much info out for security purposes. And they might just tell you what you want to hear and not that they have that 'hidden' gun under the bed etc.

And even if the gun is locked up the parents might not know that the child knows the combination or where the key is (if they are wee terrors and weren't taught how to respect guns etc)
Our little lad plays regularly with the little girl next door at her house. Her dad is a police officer and I know for a fact that he has guns kept in a gun locker (or whatever the technical term maybe) in the closet of his master bedroom, the door to which is locked and the door to the bedroom is also locked. I only know this as they are close neighbors and told us this.
As you rightly point out how do you know who is telling the truth. Whilst my sons safety is my number one concern we still have to live our day to day lives. Most times my son goes over there to play he is in the yard and hardly ever inside the house.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 4:46 pm
Homebody

Originally Posted by Irn-bru
......And even if the gun is locked up the parents might not know that the child knows the combination or where the key is (if they are wee terrors and weren't taught how to respect guns etc)
It's actually teenagers I would worry about most. They have a tendency to want to act as adults and can at times encourage each other to act irresponsibly. I believe this is one reason why so many teens are involved in car accidents, and I'm sure it also plays a role in accidents involving guns.

And even the most responsible gun owner could one day slip up. I always took great care to ensure that our back-door was locked when I went out. But one day I came back at the end of the day and found the door wide open. Yes, despite normally checking and double-checking, I myself had left it open. We are human and thus fallible.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.