Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Kid finds gun at our local park

Kid finds gun at our local park

Old Apr 21st 2007, 3:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kid finds gun at our local park

Originally Posted by danfan
I'm quite sure they do not.
Whether intentional or not, owning a gun is, IMO, a big responsibility and should be treated as such. If a person is unable to keep track of the thing, then I don't thing they should have the right to carry such a responsibility.
BTW, I am not a stranger to guns. My husband was trained as a sniper in special forces. My FIL was a police officer for 30 years and has a huge gun collection. My opinions of guns and gun ownership are not rash but carefully considered.
I don't like guns at all, but know they are a big part of the culture here.

But culture or not, it doesn't mean any idiot should be allowed one. Just as a bad driver would lose his license, so I believe should an irresponsible gun owner.

Last edited by danfan; Apr 21st 2007 at 3:42 pm.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 3:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
So is a car ... but enough get stolen and the thieves die when crashing
or kill someone else ....Lets blame the car owner for lack of car security ...
Google stolen car deaths
Are we talking about stolen guns or lost guns? Big difference between someone breaking into a locked gun cabinet and the owner walking through a park and dropping it.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 3:42 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
So is a car ... but enough get stolen and the thieves die when crashing
or kill someone else ....Lets blame the car owner for lack of car security ...
Google stolen car deaths
Just because there are other things that cause accidental deaths is not reason to eliminate one cause that could easily be eliminated

Let's face it, life without cars would be pretty much impossible (unless you're Amish), but nobody actually *needs* a gun.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 3:43 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danfan
Are we talking about stolen guns or lost guns? Big difference between someone breaking into a locked gun cabinet and the owner walking through a park and dropping it.
I have never known anybody to actually lose a gun ...
Stolen... yes !!!!
Old Apr 21st 2007, 3:45 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Just because there are other things that cause accidental deaths is not reason to eliminate one cause that could easily be eliminated

Let's face it, life without cars would be pretty much impossible (unless you're Amish), but nobody actually *needs* a gun.
And the Amish manage without cars as you say ...
and they survive as do thousands who cannot afford one ...
Old Apr 21st 2007, 3:46 pm

Lycanthrop is an unknown quantity at this point

No-on actually *needs* 15 cars either......you ought to see the feects of that in your part of the country........how many cars you see on the interstate or freeway at 6,7 and 8am with one person in them?

Try to organise a ride share with someone and you get looked at funny......or its just too inconvenient.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
And the Amish manage without cars as you say ...
and they survive as do thousands who cannot afford one ...
The also get mown down into the ditch as well........those buggies are only made of wood. Doesn't offer much protection against a ton of rolling steel........
Old Apr 21st 2007, 3:47 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lycanthrop
No-on actually *needs* 15 cars either......you ought to see the feects of that in your part of the country........how many cars you see on the interstate or freeway at 6,7 and 8am with one person in them?

Try to organise a ride share with someone and you get looked at funny......or its just too inconvenient.
I'm sure some of our neighbours think we're weird. 5 adults and just one car...

But we do have 6 or 7 bicycles!
Old Apr 21st 2007, 3:48 pm
Ray

The also get mown down into the ditch as well........those buggies are only made of wood. Doesn't offer much protection against a ton of rolling steel........
So I'm sure they feel cars should be banned
Old Apr 21st 2007, 3:49 pm

I'm sure some of our neighbours think we're weird. 5 adults and just one car...

But we do have 6 or 7 bicycles!
Good for you Ellllllll.......vira

Wierd?..........you are the strange family from "Europe" at the end of the block I'm sure.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 3:50 pm
Homebody

Good for you Ellllllll.......vira

Wierd?..........you are the strange family from "Europe" at the end of the block I'm sure.
I expect we're seen as weird for all kinds of reasons that I won't go into...
Old Apr 21st 2007, 3:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ray
I have never known anybody to actually lose a gun ...
Stolen... yes !!!!
Like I said, stolen is different (again, unless it's left lying around for anyone to pick it up and use).
But according to this story "Investigators tell CBS 11 News the gun was not buried or hidden and was most likely dropped by the owner."
Old Apr 21st 2007, 3:52 pm
Homebody

Originally Posted by Ray
I'm not sure at all. From what I know about the Amish, they are quite tolerant towards outsiders. It's their own kind that need to tow the line though.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
Dunno if you know this, but there's many shades of grey with Amish communities.....only know because I used to buy lumber from them for a wood shop in a previous life.

Some will borrow a skill-saw, some will only use a hammer and nails. Some will take a ride in a car wheras others won't go near one. They're an odd bunch, but do lead a peacefull existance for sure.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 3:54 pm

I'm not sure at all. From what I know about the Amish, they are quite tolerant towards outsiders. It's their own kind that need to tow the line though.
Are you referring to ......... "ze wilding"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.