Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The kettle is dead... long live the kettle...

The kettle is dead... long live the kettle...

Old Aug 19th 2013, 6:52 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute
Default The kettle is dead... long live the kettle...

Calamity struck this morning in our household as the kettle I'd been using for two or so years failed to turn on, despite a vigorous brushing of the contact points on pot and base, close examination and switching around of the power plug and various wall outlets, and refills of various amounts of water. I successfully got it to work once before when it did this, but I am afraid that now it is just dead.

I'm looking for a US-powered replacement that is between 1 and 2 liter capacity, has a concealed heating element (I insist!!), and has as little plastic as possible touching the hot water and steam... and incidentally won't leak or rust or give out in a mere 2 years of twice or three times daily use.

What do you use that you like? Thanks!
Old Aug 19th 2013, 6:59 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The kettle is dead... long live the kettle...

We have an old fashioned "dome" kettle (no lid, no way in, other than the spout) that sits on the stove top. Now that we have an induction stove it heats the water very quickly, and having no element, we can boil a very small amount of water if we need to.
Old Aug 19th 2013, 7:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I just bought a new one from Target called Aroma Hot H2O X-Press

http://www.target.com/p/aroma-hot-h2...e/-/A-13795316

It seems OK so far.
Old Aug 19th 2013, 8:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

I've had one of these for a few years now:

http://www.amazon.com/Chefs-Choice-6.../dp/B0000E5IN3
Old Aug 19th 2013, 8:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

markwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Speedwell
Calamity struck this morning in our household as the kettle I'd been using for two or so years failed to turn on, despite a vigorous brushing of the contact points on pot and base, close examination and switching around of the power plug and various wall outlets, and refills of various amounts of water. I successfully got it to work once before when it did this, but I am afraid that now it is just dead.

I'm looking for a US-powered replacement that is between 1 and 2 liter capacity, has a concealed heating element (I insist!!), and has as little plastic as possible touching the hot water and steam... and incidentally won't leak or rust or give out in a mere 2 years of twice or three times daily use.

What do you use that you like? Thanks!
Buy one from Costco and, when it fails, take it back and get a new one. Or, use the microwave to heat a cup of coffee.
Old Aug 19th 2013, 8:42 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
I've had one of these for a few years now:

http://www.amazon.com/Chefs-Choice-6.../dp/B0000E5IN3
We have that one ... It's not terrible, but my problem with it is that it's not a good pourer. For some reason, when you pour it out, half the water wants to dribble down the outside of the kettle rather than pour into the cup, teapot or whatever. Must be a poorly designed spout or something.

We've got through a lot of electric kettles in the US, and as well as being overpriced and very slow to boil, none of them last very long.

Last edited by robin1234; Aug 19th 2013 at 8:44 pm.
Old Aug 19th 2013, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

Lbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond repute

I boil water in my Keurig, I only ever need one cup at a time.
Old Aug 19th 2013, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

We have a Breville Icon. It is around 4 years old and hasn't given us any trouble yet, touch wood. Stainless steel, but it does have some plastic in the lid and filter thing at the spout. The element is hidden, and the kettle lifts off its powered base. We got it in Bed, Bath and Beyond. Not cheap at around $70, but it is solid and it works well.
Old Aug 19th 2013, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Holliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to behold

I use this one from Macy's.
http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/c...6kws%3Dkettles

I like it. It did stop working randomly after about 6 months, but I just took it back and swapped it with a new one, didn't even have to show a receipt. Our new one has been fine and it's been about a year now. So I hope it was just a random break.

The heating element is covered and it looks pretty cool. No plastic either.

Oh, and I always use filtered water in it never get any buildup or residue.

Last edited by Holliver; Aug 19th 2013 at 9:29 pm.
Old Aug 19th 2013, 8:50 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, all.
Old Aug 19th 2013, 8:56 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Just looked at Tesco, they have a kettle for £5 and plenty of nice ones for more money, but mostly under £30. What the heck is it with America and kettles??
Old Aug 19th 2013, 9:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

My latest kettle has lasted the longest...stainless steel...can't see the element. Bought it from Costco.
Old Aug 19th 2013, 9:18 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Just looked at Tesco, they have a kettle for £5 and plenty of nice ones for more money, but mostly under £30. What the heck is it with America and kettles??
I was going to say that, they are cheap as chips here in the UK, we have one that has a built in water filter, we just change the cartridge once a month, It's a Brita, and as it uses deionised water you never get any furring, and in any case the element is hidden in the base.
Old Aug 19th 2013, 10:24 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by mikelincs
I was going to say that, they are cheap as chips here in the UK, we have one that has a built in water filter, we just change the cartridge once a month, It's a Brita, and as it uses deionised water you never get any furring, and in any case the element is hidden in the base.
I'm pretty sure the roads are paved with gold over there, mate
Old Aug 19th 2013, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

MiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I just bought a new one from Target called Aroma Hot H2O X-Press

http://www.target.com/p/aroma-hot-h2...e/-/A-13795316

It seems OK so far.
That looks similar to the one I have. I got through so many of those rubbish plastic kettles when I first moved to the US I had to find something more robust. The average yank kettle isn't made to withstand the punishment it receives from us Brits. This is the one I've had for about 5 years now I think!

http://www.adagio.com/teaware/utiliTEA_kettle.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.