Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Kerry/Edwards ticket ?

Kerry/Edwards ticket ?

Old Feb 11th 2004, 3:56 am
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Kerry/Edwards ticket ?

So looks like John Kerry then. With Edwards as his Number 2 ?
There was talk of him and Howard running together, but he's a bit of a liability.
"YEEEEAAAAAAH !!!"

From a musical point of view:
Dixie Chicks are for anybody but Bush. (But got castigated for speaking their mind. Freedom of speech indeed.)
Chris Martin of Coldplay backed Kerry on the Grammy's. (But he's a Brit and can't vote.)
Madonna went for General Clark, who's now pulling out. (Not sure about having a country under a military rule, look what it did for Cuba, Libya, Nigeria... ok I'll stop now because I haven't got a clue what I'm talking about there.)
There's a topic go to off tangent with though - Is it better for a politician to rule a country or a General ?

Good on MTV to make people aware of politics and getting people to register to vote. This country has THE lowest turn out of voters.
(Come on American - you made an embarrasment out of yourself 4 years ago, let's correct this mistake.)

Any expat Brits now American citizens, or have the right to vote on here - are you going to ?
How about your other halves ? Are they registered ? Will they bother to vote ? And who for ?

(Lets see how many posts it takes before an argument breaks out. )
Old Feb 11th 2004, 4:58 am
Banned

Gross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Kerry/Edwards ticket ?

George Bush is the man to beat. The democrats know that they need more than tough luck to defeat him in the polls. It don't matter who gets the democratic ticket. Kerry, Edwards or Dean. Bring them on.

As for superstars, they are full of hype. Maybe their views will count in the next election but not this one.
Old Feb 11th 2004, 9:30 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

it is a sad state of democracy when the texan twat & blair seem shoe-ins at the next election. A healthy democracy needs a effective opposition.
Old Feb 11th 2004, 1:42 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

The thing is, they aren't shoe ins.
A few polls now have Kerry ahead of Bush in the overall polls.
And whilst I will admit that Kerry has a lot of people jumping on his bandwagon right now, just as many are jumping off the Bush bandwagon.

Bill O'Reilly on ABC this morning said he would never trust the Bush Administration again. Big words from a Fox News anchor.

Listen to Kerry speak, he is articulate and seems to be able to talk in coherant sentences.
It's gonna be close. Not a formality.

In Britain however I think it is the Tories who are dead in the water. The real opposition will come from the LibDems. I have great respect for Charles Kennedy who's party has grown from strength to strength over the past decade.
Old Feb 11th 2004, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

edwords is on a distinguished road

I shall vote Libertarian, the political party of:
-individual liberty and personal responsibility;
-a free-market economy of abundance and prosperity;
-a foreign policy of non-intervention, peace and free trade.

http://www.lp.org/
Old Feb 11th 2004, 3:47 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by edwords
-individual liberty and personal responsibility;
-a foreign policy of non-intervention, peace and free trade.

I had never heard of the Libertarians until I moved here.

Whilst the philosophy is sound, the practicalitly of it is flawed.
Personal responsibility is all A-ok until you add stupid people into the mix.
Add guns/booze/freedom from federal government/drugs together with intelligent level headed people and nothing will come of it.

Add stupid people into the mix and you'll have anarchy.

Personal Responsibility it was a great thing until someone else was always to blame in this litigious society.
Old Feb 11th 2004, 8:09 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

Originally posted by edwords

Is that for all or just for those lucky enough to be born to privilage in the first place?
Old Feb 11th 2004, 9:01 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

My fiance is a stanch Republican and if I could vote I would be Democrat. Makes for some interesting debates!

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Kerry will be the next president. (God willing)
Old Feb 11th 2004, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

Dant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud of

When did Clark step down? I'd been holding out for a Kerry/Clark combo.
Old Feb 11th 2004, 10:44 pm
@matthewb76

Originally posted by Dant3
When did Clark step down? I'd been holding out for a Kerry/Clark combo.
He stepped down for presidential candidate.
Kerry can still pick him as running mate if he wants.

Also heard a rumour that Hillary Clinton doesn't want Edwards as Kerry's running mate as she wants to run in 2008.

I would like to tell Hillary that the Democratic party doesn't revolve around her and Bill.
Old Feb 12th 2004, 1:00 am
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by manc1976

Also heard a rumour that Hillary Clinton doesn't want Edwards as Kerry's running mate as she wants to run in 2008.
I don't get it - why doesn't she want Edwards with Kerry ? Because Edwards might want to run for Prez in 2008 ?
Old Feb 12th 2004, 11:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have a vote but did donate to Dean's campaign. I like Dean's policies and he is the only one with a proven track record of delivering on what he promises- okay he should keep his emotions under control- but he would get my vote if I had one.

I think Dean's been stitched up by the media. Kerry is the Corporate choice and the media will sell him. He's another Skull and Bones man- like Bush- and far too much like smirky IMO. But ABB- Anyone But Bush...and Blair (when in UK) and I do have a vote there
Old Feb 12th 2004, 1:43 pm
@matthewb76

Originally posted by Webbie
I don't get it - why doesn't she want Edwards with Kerry ? Because Edwards might want to run for Prez in 2008 ?
Yes and if Edwards is in the running for VP, his statue in the Democratic party will be bigger and better than it is now and a threat to HC.
Old Feb 12th 2004, 4:10 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by manc1976
The real opposition will come from the LibDems. I have great respect for Charles Kennedy who's party has grown from strength to strength over the past decade.
Not got over that British attitude yet? Supporting the underdog and all that. Be American support the team that's going to win! If feels better in the end.

CB
Old Feb 12th 2004, 4:12 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sibsie
My fiance is a stanch Republican and if I could vote I would be Democrat. Makes for some interesting debates!

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Kerry will be the next president. (God willing)
Hubbys says he's a social Democrat but a fiscal Republican. Guess who he votes for? Put's his mouth where his money is.

I'm going to have to naturalize just to be able to cancel out his vote!

CB