Kentucky

Old Oct 12th 2009, 11:46 am
Just Joined

Lt Raymond Lee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Kentucky

Hello All

This is my first post in this forum and I would like to send my best wishes to all who contribute to it. I am looking for some help in research if I may be so bold to ask.

I am a commissioned officer with a British Army Cadet Force unit and next year in 2010, I am bringing over to the USA, 30 cadets visiting the National Cadet Center in Millersburg, Kentucky for a military and cultured trip to celebrate the 150 years of the existence of the UK's cadet forces, and also to interact with the US cadets of the same age, all cadets will be from 15-18 years old.

I was wondering if there had been any action by any British Army unit during the revolutionary war in that town at any time and does anyone have any details about it?

If there had been any action, I will try my upmost to contact the regimental associations in the UK with a view of putting together a montage that some cadets will present to the town Mayor as part of our trip. I’m not sure at this stage of the Mayor would welcome such a presentation, he might even present me with a invoice for damage caused during that time

I know that out there somewhere, there is an expert, so I am looking forward to what comes my way soon, and if anyone has any further ideas, I’m very open to suggestions

I will be in Kentucky from 21-28 November on a recce of the facilties, if anyone is around the area of Millersburg/Frankfort/Paris, it could be nice to meet for a pint someplace

Many Thanks

Lt Raymond Lee
Old Oct 13th 2009, 7:12 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kentucky

That area was very much the frontier during the War, there were battles, but mostly of a hit and run nature. Millersburg itself wasn't founded until 1798 so you won't find any "Battle of Millersburg" listed anywhere. In fact KY wasn't even a State until 1792, having been prior to that a part of Virginia.

Here are a few links, maybe there will be something close by that will work for you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bird%27...on_of_Kentucky

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western...olutionary_War

http://www.revolutionarywararchives....cksbattle.html

http://www.myrevolutionarywar.com/battles/820819.htm
Old Oct 13th 2009, 8:15 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

As ABY stated, Kentucky was the more or less the western frontier of the states at that time.

Looking at the wiki, I see there were two major battles in Pennsylvania and several in West Virginia and Maryland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?...t=Search&ns0=1

BTW you will be here during Thanksgiving Weekend here in the US. That should be a nice treat for your cadets. Try and make arrangements to participate in a traditional Thanksgiving meal that Thursday, November 27. Some restaurants might be open and able to accommodate a large group such as yours.

Last edited by Rete; Oct 13th 2009 at 8:17 pm.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 8:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

As said, the week you are doing your recce is thanksgiving week. I would imagine this is not the best week to do such a thing since places will be closed and people you may need to speak to might not be available. You may also find you are paying a premium for accommodation and travel.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 11:34 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Thanksgiving is a very big holiday here, technically the busiest travel time of the year. If you can move your trip you might consider it as many people will not be around, lodgings will be difficult and expensive, and the airports will be a madhouse.

I thought there might be some war of 1812 battles in Kentucky but it seems most of the Kentucky units were engaged in battles in Indiana, against British-backed Indian tribes (but I think the British regulars were bottled up in Fort Wayne). Not sure if that is of any interest and don't think there will be many monuments or anything worth seeing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana_in_the_War_of_1812

The US Civil War had quite a few battles in Kentucky

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kentuck...ican_Civil_War

I once met some UK Army officers on a flight back from the Washington DC area to London. Turns out they were visiting the battlefields of Gettysburg in nearby Pennsylvania. They were studying the battle as part of their advance infantry schooling and part of the course was to actually come out and look at the terrain and see where the battle took place. It helped give them an idea 'oh yea, that is a ridge line where I would have put my artillery' or 'I would have run down this hill too and defended this bit here' based on the topography and cover, etc. Was pretty helpful they said.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 12:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of good info from other posters, you may also think about contacting the historian on Fort Knox, they are a good resource for State military History, they should be able to help you with any military History you need.

If you contact the public affairs office there or Protocol office, they may even arrange tours for your cadets.
Good luck, I'm sure it will be a fascinating and worthwhile experience for all of you
Below is the link for Fort Knox

http://www.knox.army.mil/
Old Oct 14th 2009, 12:33 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
Lots of good info from other posters, you may also think about contacting the historian on Fort Knox, they are a good resource for State military History, they should be able to help you with any military History you need.

If you contact the public affairs office there or Protocol office, they may even arrange tours for your cadets.
Good luck, I'm sure it will be a fascinating and worthwhile experience for all of you
Below is the link for Fort Knox

http://www.knox.army.mil/
The Patton museum is there, I bet they'd like that.

http://www.generalpatton.org/index.asp
Old Oct 14th 2009, 12:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
The Patton museum is there, I bet they'd like that.

http://www.generalpatton.org/index.asp
yeah, some may even find a 'family' connection
Old Oct 14th 2009, 4:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lt Raymond Lee

I will be in Kentucky from 21-28 November on a recce of the facilties, if anyone is around the area of Millersburg/Frankfort/Paris, it could be nice to meet for a pint someplace

Many Thanks

Lt Raymond Lee
Hi Raymond, I'm from Kentucky. I won't add more than what others have already told you. If you were interested in our Civil War, then are several places you could go to, but this was mostly Native American land during the Revolutionary War so very unlikely there would be any areas of interest to you.

The Patton Museum is not anywhere near the Frankfort area. You'd be looking at a good couple of hours to get there. I've been there as a kid and I did think it was pretty neat (of course, I was more interested in the gold supposedly hidden at Ft. Knox).

I wanted to let you know though, that depending on what county you plan on staying in, you may not be able to meet up for a pint. Over half of KY is 'dry' or 'moist'. If Bourbon County (the location of Millersburg) is dry you can't buy alcohol at bar/store/restaurant. If it's moist, you can likely only purchase alchohol in a restaurant that also sells food (but not a bar). (there would be some irony if Bourbon county was dry - i can't check just now since some sites appear to be blocked here at work).

Just wanted to let you know this so it wouldn't come as a nasty surprise. You should be able to find out if the places you plan on visiting have alcohol restrictions by using Google.

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; Oct 14th 2009 at 4:43 pm.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 3:45 pm
Just Joined

Thanks to all who have replied, In fact Im in Fort Knox on Monday or Tuesday on an organised visit, Ill be taking the cadets there next year, Im also with the State Police in Frankfort on Wednesday on a organised visit too.

Im also meeting with a chap who runs a canoeing place on the red river, im seeing him on sunday.

I know thanksgiving is on Thursday, Ive been invited to a dinner, Im sure its not roast beef and Yorkshires, but im sure what im going to eat is going to be lovely

Thanks to all who have given me some pointers, Ill look at them right now.

Ray

Last edited by Lt Raymond Lee; Oct 16th 2009 at 3:53 pm.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 3:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Hi Raymond, I'm from Kentucky. I won't add more than what others have already told you. If you were interested in our Civil War, then are several places you could go to, but this was mostly Native American land during the Revolutionary War so very unlikely there would be any areas of interest to you.

The Patton Museum is not anywhere near the Frankfort area. You'd be looking at a good couple of hours to get there. I've been there as a kid and I did think it was pretty neat (of course, I was more interested in the gold supposedly hidden at Ft. Knox).

I wanted to let you know though, that depending on what county you plan on staying in, you may not be able to meet up for a pint. Over half of KY is 'dry' or 'moist'. If Bourbon County (the location of Millersburg) is dry you can't buy alcohol at bar/store/restaurant. If it's moist, you can likely only purchase alchohol in a restaurant that also sells food (but not a bar). (there would be some irony if Bourbon county was dry - i can't check just now since some sites appear to be blocked here at work).

Just wanted to let you know this so it wouldn't come as a nasty surprise. You should be able to find out if the places you plan on visiting have alcohol restrictions by using Google.
Thanks for the info, I was wondering what to get the lady of the house for a pressie as Im invited to Thanksgiving dinner, what is normal in these caes?

Ray
Old Oct 17th 2009, 4:08 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

avoid a bottle of wine - as some families have no drink in the house. Flowers are probably safest.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 5:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Lt Raymond Lee
Thanks for the info, I was wondering what to get the lady of the house for a pressie as Im invited to Thanksgiving dinner, what is normal in these caes?

Ray
I think it would be appreciated more, if you brought something from England for her, something typically 'British'
Old Oct 17th 2009, 6:06 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
I think it would be appreciated more, if you brought something from England for her, something typically 'British'
Not marmite!

Ian
Old Oct 17th 2009, 6:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Not marmite!

Ian
Good lord No!...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.