Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Ken Burns: The War

Ken Burns: The War

Old Sep 25th 2007, 1:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ken Burns: The War

Originally Posted by cindyabs View Post
My son just went to the one in B'Ham last weekend with his mother in law. He (my son) is all about Civil War history and had seen ken Burns work on that, so he was looking forward to seeing what how one this will be. When we lived o'seas, he got dragged around to all of the US military cemetaries, Normandy (British and Canadian beaches too), Bastogne, Arnhem and so on. That was before he was studying them in school, but at least they are not just names to him.
I visited Normandy and the D-Day beaches when I was 16 and 18 respectively. Then I studied in Luxembourg for 6 months and while there visited an Allied as well as a German cemetary. The Allied graves were white stone, crosses and stars of David ... the German cemetary was marked by black stones. Maybe a coincidence, but it didn't feel that way. I remember that the head of our program (a German) was visibly upset - his brother had been forced to fight in the German army at the age of 14 or so ... it may have even been a year or two younger. I hope he isn't lying under a black stone somewhere ... just a boy.
Old Sep 25th 2007, 1:55 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJ2007 View Post
I visited Normandy and the D-Day beaches when I was 16 and 18 respectively. Then I studied in Luxembourg for 6 months and while there visited an Allied as well as a German cemetary. The Allied graves were white stone, crosses and stars of David ... the German cemetary was marked by black stones. Maybe a coincidence, but it didn't feel that way. I remember that the head of our program (a German) was visibly upset - his brother had been forced to fight in the German army at the age of 14 or so ... it may have even been a year or two younger. I hope he isn't lying under a black stone somewhere ... just a boy.
Seems like I remember being told that the Germans were buried 8 to a grave?
Old Sep 25th 2007, 1:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

War certainly is ugly.
Old Sep 25th 2007, 3:17 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Better than a gas oven
Old Sep 25th 2007, 9:30 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney View Post
Better than a gas oven
Agreed, I've been to Auschwitz.
Old Sep 25th 2007, 1:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart View Post
From the director of the excellent Civil War series, comes a new documentary about WW2 starting September 23rd on on public TV.
Heard a lot about this on National Public Radio today, sounds like a good one.
Details and clips here;

http://www.pbs.org/thewar/?campaign=...ilm_2007-09-21
I taped it but did watch some of it, I liked the personal story's touch to it, shall watch it with my OH in full.
Old Sep 26th 2007, 11:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Well as time goes by, it's no longer and up close and reach out and touch someone who was there or fought in it. The vets are dying off now, the generation that was born during the war or right afterwards are getting older too-they're grandparents now, maybe even great grandparents ( ), so today's generation don't rub up against them on a daily basis.
Its a shame, isn't it? My grandmother is 92 years old and to this day I still love hearing her stories from when she was young......
Old Sep 27th 2007, 1:05 am
Sursum corda

Originally Posted by AmerLisa View Post
Its a shame, isn't it? My grandmother is 92 years old and to this day I still love hearing her stories from when she was young......
Down at my Mom's I discovered a box of old photos taken mainly when she was little ( she's 81), even a few from before she was born and very few of them labeled. I was thinking what a shame.
Old Sep 27th 2007, 1:10 am
Sursum corda

We have the Mighty Eighth musuem almost in our backyard at my office-they've really put a lot of work into it.
Old Sep 27th 2007, 1:25 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

There is a German War Grave in Cannock Chase.

Grey granite stones....... quite nicely done I thought.
the crews of the bombing zeppelins that went down in the wat are buried there.