British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Ken Burns: The War (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/ken-burns-war-482749/)

Lord Lionheart Sep 21st 2007 9:51 pm

Ken Burns: The War

From the director of the excellent Civil War series, comes a new documentary about WW2 starting September 23rd on on public TV.
Heard a lot about this on National Public Radio today, sounds like a good one.
Details and clips here;

http://www.pbs.org/thewar/?campaign=...ilm_2007-09-21

NC Penguin Sep 22nd 2007 12:31 am

Re: Ken Burns: The War

I went to a fundraiser for the local PBS station earlier this year where Ken Burns was present, to promote "The War". I saw quite a number of snippets from the documentary. One reason Burns focused on the Second World War was a statistic he had heard that many American schoolkids believe the US and Germany were on the same side during WWII...:ohmy:

Thydney Sep 22nd 2007 12:40 am

Originally Posted by NC Penguin (Post 5339889)
I went to a fundraiser for the local PBS station earlier this year where Ken Burns was present, to promote "The War". I saw quite a number of snippets from the documentary. One reason Burns focused on the Second World War was a statistic he had heard that many American schoolkids believe the US and Germany were on the same side during WWII...:ohmy:

pity it misses the first few chapters:rolleyes:

Lord Lionheart Sep 22nd 2007 1:44 am

Originally Posted by Thydney (Post 5339908)
pity it misses the first few chapters:rolleyes:

Why would Ken Burns make a documentary to be aired on American National Public TV about WW2 from the American perspective and it's affect on selective American cities that covers ' the first few chapters'.

THE WAR, a seven-part series directed and produced by Ken Burns and Lynn Novick, tells the story of the Second World War through the personal accounts of a handful of men and women from four quintessentially American towns.

Did you look at the link or am I just being a smug annoying twat :confused:

AmerLisa Sep 22nd 2007 2:22 am

Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart (Post 5339531)
From the director of the excellent Civil War series, comes a new documentary about WW2 starting September 23rd on on public TV.
Heard a lot about this on National Public Radio today, sounds like a good one.
Details and clips here;

http://www.pbs.org/thewar/?campaign=...ilm_2007-09-21

Thanks for the reminder.....I've been looking forward to that series.

AmerLisa Sep 22nd 2007 2:26 am

:confused::confused: Interesting......

NC Penguin Sep 22nd 2007 2:28 am

... and a reminder that this is being broadcast in the US and despite the context and nature of the broadcast, there are two versions of "The War". One without expletives and one with them intact.

http://www.tvsquad.com/2007/09/04/pb...ns-of-the-war/

Your local PBS station will select which version it airs.

NC Penguin Sep 22nd 2007 2:29 am

Originally Posted by AmerLisa (Post 5340121)

I think it's sad and scary. However, bearing in mind that the US didn't put German Americans in internment camps but did this to US born Japanese Americans, I could just about imagine how the confusion arose.

scrubbedexpat099 Sep 22nd 2007 3:30 am

DVD set.

There is a book as well, wife is getting it tomorrow.

Thydney Sep 22nd 2007 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart (Post 5340051)
Why would Ken Burns make a documentary to be aired on American National Public TV about WW2 from the American perspective and it's affect on selective American cities that covers ' the first few chapters'.

THE WAR, a seven-part series directed and produced by Ken Burns and Lynn Novick, tells the story of the Second World War through the personal accounts of a handful of men and women from four quintessentially American towns.

Did you look at the link or am I just being a smug annoying twat :confused:

no and yes

Hiro11 Sep 23rd 2007 3:01 pm

This looks great. "The Civil War" was a materpiece, "Baseball" was also damned good...

The only things that irks me about all of the reverence for the "Greatest Generation" is that it's basically impossible to make a silly, old school WW2 action movie a la "Where Eagles Dare" or "The Dirty Dozen" these days... Any movie on the topic has to be sober and respectful.

cindyabs Sep 24th 2007 3:13 pm

My son just went to the one in B'Ham last weekend with his mother in law. He (my son) is all about Civil War history and had seen ken Burns work on that, so he was looking forward to seeing what how one this will be. When we lived o'seas, he got dragged around to all of the US military cemetaries, Normandy (British and Canadian beaches too), Bastogne, Arnhem and so on. That was before he was studying them in school, but at least they are not just names to him.

cindyabs Sep 24th 2007 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by AmerLisa (Post 5340121)

Well as time goes by, it's no longer and up close and reach out and touch someone who was there or fought in it. The vets are dying off now, the generation that was born during the war or right afterwards are getting older too-they're grandparents now, maybe even great grandparents ( :eek:), so today's generation don't rub up against them on a daily basis.

krizzy Sep 24th 2007 4:28 pm

We live and breath WW11 in this house...mostly planes..hubby is an honour member of a WW11 US pilots club...he does talks about planes to them...he also makes the guys models of their old planes...I hate to say it because war planes are the pain of my life...but hubby knows his stuff...and he does make really good detailed planes...

krizzy Sep 24th 2007 4:36 pm

http://img220.imageshack.us/my.php?i...remkxvijr9.jpg

This is one plane he made last year...