Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Keeping UK drivers licence valid?

Keeping UK drivers licence valid?

Old Jan 11th 2024, 12:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

alfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Keeping UK drivers licence valid?

My UK drivers licence will expire soon. I would like to keep it renewed and can do this online.
I have a doubt about the last bullet point - addresses you've lived last 3 years. I use My Dad's address in the UK for correspondence and have that on the licence.
Now if I put an overseas address will it not be approved? Should I just put my UK correspondence address?

gov website says:

Before you start

To renew your licence you must:
You’ll need:
  • your UK passport (either current or expired within the past 12 months) or the document you used to set up your online immigration status
  • your current driving licence (if you have it)
  • your National Insurance number (if you know it)
  • addresses of where you’ve lived over the last 3 years
Thanks
Old Jan 11th 2024, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

porkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Keeping UK drivers licence valid?

As per my own thread from last year - Dual Driving Licences - your licence is not valid if you live in the US. (I say that loosely and practically, read the thread for more).
If you ever move back, just apply for a new one.
I'm sure others have more knowledge than I, but this would seem to be fraud which I would not dabble in. You have to make a declaration on the form which would be incorrect.
You probably already have a US one, if not I advise getting one.

Last edited by porkedpie; Jan 11th 2024 at 12:45 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2024, 12:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

alfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond repute

Actually I live in Uruguay but this is the thread I get responses from with similar expat questions.
I'll look into it further thanks but certainly looks like I shouldn't renew looking at that thread.

Thanks

Last edited by alfista1; Jan 11th 2024 at 12:45 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2024, 3:22 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, as Porkpied said, your British license ceases to be valid after you leave the UK, in practical terms, when you obtain a local license in the country where you live. Because of this, the rules for issuing a renewed licence are designed to prevent a licence being issued to someone living outside the UK, and you would, at least, have to "misrepresent" your situation, if not actually lie, to get a renewed UK driving licence.
Old Jan 11th 2024, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Yup, as Porkpied said, your British license ceases to be valid after you leave the UK, in practical terms, when you obtain a local license in the country where you live. Because of this, the rules for issuing a renewed licence are designed to prevent a licence being issued to someone living outside the UK, and you would, at least, have to "misrepresent" your situation, if not actually lie, to get a renewed UK driving licence.
Yep it is confirmed I cannot renew it and certainly not worth the risks with the penalties stated on the site.
I was very unaware of this when I moved here. Thought I could just keep it renewed every 10 yrs and actually thought I had to like my passport.

I do have a local licence here.

Thanks for the heads up!
Old Jan 11th 2024, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

When I converted my licence in Italy they removed a few categories such as driving a light goods vehicle, minibus etc.
If I convert my licence back do the DVLC restore those lost categories?
Old Jan 11th 2024, 3:42 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by philat98
When I converted my licence in Italy they removed a few categories such as driving a light goods vehicle, minibus etc.
If I convert my licence back do the DVLC restore those lost categories?
I would say yes, as you previously had a UK licence, you are not merely swapping an Italian licence for a British one, you're getting your old British licence reissued.

I am not sure what would happen if you had lived overseas, had never held a British licence, and had learned to drive in a country that doesn't have separate "all vehicles" (manual) and automatic-only licences, and were eligible to swap your foreign licence for a British one (I believe this to be the case for Canadians), then you would only be able to swap for a British automatic-only licence. And I seem to recall from an old BE thread, that Canadian licences don't even record if you had actually taken your driving test in a manual, so you're stuck having to take a driving test anyway if you want to be able to drive vehicles with a manual transmission.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 11th 2024 at 3:47 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2024, 3:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

I would say yes, as you previously had a UK licence, you are not merely swapping an Italian licence for a British one, you're getting your old British licence reissued.

I am not sure what would happen if you had lived overseas, had never held a British licence, and had learned to drive in a country that doesn't have separate "all vehicles" (manual) and automatic-only licences, and were eligible to swap your foreign licence for a British one (I believe this to be the case for Canadians), then you would only be able to swap for a British automatic-only licence. And I seem to recall from an old BE thread, that Canadian licences don't even record if you had actually taken your driving test in a manual, so you're stuck having to take a driving test anyway if you want to be able to drive vehicles with a manual transmission.

When my wife from Uruguay came to live with me in the UK she had to start all from scratch to get a British licence even though she had been driving for 30+ years.
There was no option to swap.
Theory, lessons, practical exam etc. Passed after the 2nd driving test luckily - first time she was just so nervous she made some errors due to her brain trained to drive on the other side, not because she couldn't drive properly.

Old Jan 11th 2024, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by alfista1
When my wife from Uruguay came to live with me in the UK she had to start all from scratch to get a British licence even though she had been driving for 30+ years.
There was no option to swap. ....
Same for my wife when she moved to the UK, but in the end she didn't stay in the UK long enough to get around to getting a British licence, and as we lived in London, she really didn't need to drive anyway.
Old Jan 11th 2024, 5:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Same for my wife when she moved to the UK, but in the end she didn't stay in the UK long enough to get around to getting a British licence, and as we lived in London, she really didn't need to drive anyway.
Mine didn't stay in the UK long enough to get her permanent residence!!! Was not impressed after all the expenses for a non-EU spouse visa! She only had 18-24 months to go but wanted to get back to her family here.
My son who was born in Uruguay has both passports through me!

Well now after a long battle and lots of paperwork she may be able to get her Spanish citizenship along with my son through her Uruguayan mum.
Years of work on this as her grandparents(or great don't recall) birth certificates in Spain were destroyed during the civil war.
2 days ago we got confirmation that her mum can now apply for her Spanish passport at 90years of age!
Then my wife and son will apply (Spanish citizenship works like that for Uruguayans).
Son will then have 3 passports and they'll have the freedom of movement in the EU again and I'll have the right to be with them and apply after some years there if we decide to move.

Fingers crossed this all goes well.

Great to have the option of EU movement again after the Brexit stupidity.

Old Jan 14th 2024, 11:49 am
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alfista1
My UK drivers licence will expire soon. I would like to keep it renewed and can do this online.
I have a doubt about the last bullet point - addresses you've lived last 3 years. I use My Dad's address in the UK for correspondence and have that on the licence.
Now if I put an overseas address will it not be approved? Should I just put my UK correspondence address?

gov website says:

Before you start

To renew your licence you must:You’ll need:
  • your UK passport (either current or expired within the past 12 months) or the document you used to set up your online immigration status
  • your current driving licence (if you have it)
  • your National Insurance number (if you know it)
  • addresses of where you’ve lived over the last 3 years
Thanks

have you lived at your Dads over the past 3 years enough to be a UK tax resident?
Old Jan 16th 2024, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

Frankie0089 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have lived abroad (mostly USA) since 1992 and am planning to move back this summer. I have a US drivers license and an old pink paper UK drivers license. I’m guessing from previous posts here that I will have to wait until I arrive back in the UK before I can renew/ get a new photo ID version? Will I have to take a test all over again? Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 16th 2024, 9:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Frankie0089
I have lived abroad (mostly USA) since 1992 and am planning to move back this summer. I have a US drivers license and an old pink paper UK drivers license. I’m guessing from previous posts here that I will have to wait until I arrive back in the UK before I can renew/ get a new photo ID version? Will I have to take a test all over again? Thanks in advance.
We were in the same situation with an old pink licence from 29 years earlier. We immediately applied for picture id licences on return back, it is simply a new address, no need to take a test or anything. (Perhaps if you are over 70 there may be more to it). I hired a car using my old pink licence, although the address was wrong as I was in the process of correcting it.
Old Jan 16th 2024, 10:56 pm
Just Joined

Frankie0089 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by durham_lad
We were in the same situation with an old pink licence from 29 years earlier. We immediately applied for picture id licences on return back, it is simply a new address, no need to take a test or anything. (Perhaps if you are over 70 there may be more to it). I hired a car using my old pink licence, although the address was wrong as I was in the process of correcting it.
Brilliant, thank you 😊
Old Jan 16th 2024, 11:53 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
How long did it take to get the new licence? Was there any issue with your US? license?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.