Reload this Page >

Keeping a UK credit card

Keeping a UK credit card

Old Mar 28th 2011, 4:56 am
Forum Regular

Dougster75 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Keeping a UK credit card

We had many (too many) cards in the UK. Of these:

Barclaycards - As others have posted this was fine until last year when they closed us down for having a US address. Maybe could have kept it on with a parent address but didn't really need it.

UK Amex - Was very useful for opening a US Amex (although I'm not certain the US (non-credit) Amex really helps build credit much. UK Amex eventually closed voluntarily as was pointless.

Citibank - Despite being probably as international as they come, wrote to us and closed down the account due to non-UK address. Again we didn't need the card so didn't try and fight it.

Northern Rock (Now Co-Op) - We still have this as it has a relatively large (compared to anything we can get in the US) credit limit and has an interest rate linked to the UK mortgage that we settled two years ago (in case we ever needed to run a short term balance for an emergency). We have to call them every few months and get them to "unblock" the card as it apparently blocks itself after a few international transactions unless they note it. So far, so good but we get questions regarding whether we are permanently over here (which as visa holders we are not yet...) and so not sure if they will try and close us down at some point...

Doug.
Old May 4th 2011, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

cliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Keeping a UK credit card

Originally Posted by MadRad
Hi,

Just wondering if it's possible to keep a UK credit card (specifically Nationwide) whilst living overseas. Just thinking it would be really handy to still have it for trips back to Blighty and the like.

I'm wondering if I give my US address if they'll just shut down the account. I do have a UK address I can use for mailing purposes but don't know if that's allowed.

Thoughts, anyone?
I have enquired this before i considered moving.
If i was to sell my property and move over to US, due to the currency rate i may not want to change it there and then and leave it in the bank until currency picks up.

I asked Barclays and they stated yes you can keep the bank account open!
I asked LLoyds TSB they stated you can keep the bank account open!

One that may interest you is HSBC it appears to me that is the only bank in the UK & US, they stated you can keep the account open and before i move they will open an account with HSBC in US in advance.