British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Keeping UK bank account open – address ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/keeping-uk-bank-account-open-%E2%80%93-address-879986/)

Pulaski Jul 6th 2016 7:50 pm

Re: Keeping UK bank account open – address ?

Originally Posted by hungryhorace (Post 11995587)
..... Though I changed it back to a British one, as it's impossible to buy stuff online in the UK without a British residential billing address linked to the card.

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 11995610)
I have found the same problem, everyone wants a UK postcode. The only exception to this was my capitalone care sometimes works using my US zip code

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 11995633)
The postcode issue is only a problem when trying to buy stuff online or some retailers

Originally Posted by celticgrid (Post 11995669)
As per above, I've never had a problem. .....

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 11995676)
I seem to recall it's the verified by visa system that causes the problem. I mostly use my UK card for buying gifts for family and paying my electric and water bills.

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 11995684)
Me neither.

I have found it very hit or miss - some shops allow a US card for on-line purchases, some don't, though several that used to don't any more, like Sainsbury's and Tesco for example.

mrken30 Jul 6th 2016 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11995718)
I have found it very hit or miss - some shops allow a US card for on-line purchases, some don't, though several that used to don't any more, like Sainsbury's and Tesco for example.

Also the buses in London either need a tap and pay card or an oyster card. No more cash option.

jenny168 Jul 28th 2016 11:13 pm

We went to banks before we left to inform them the change of address. No problems at all. However we did give them of a temporary address in US and changed again later. The banks sent us confirmation letter to our US address for confirmation.

hungryhorace Jul 29th 2016 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by jenny168 (Post 12014639)
We went to banks before we left to inform them the change of address. No problems at all. However we did give them of a temporary address in US and changed again later. The banks sent us confirmation letter to our US address for confirmation.

With FATCA now kicking in, if you value your privacy (as i do) it's time to set them all back to a UK address.

Pulaski Jul 29th 2016 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by hungryhorace (Post 12015015)
With FATCA now kicking in, if you value your privacy (as i do) .....

I wish my life was interesting enough to be worth hiding. :(

mrken30 Jul 29th 2016 2:07 pm

With FATCA now kicking in, if you value your privacy (as i do) it's time to set them all back to a UK address.

I think I would prefer a Cayman Islands or Bermuda address. Even Panama has some appeal over the UK. Maybe Sealand would be the place to get an address. I never heard what happened about the independence of Sealand.

MidAtlantic Jul 29th 2016 2:21 pm

Too late, it has already kicked in.

Pulaski Jul 29th 2016 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 12015063)
I think I would prefer a Cayman Islands or Bermuda address. Even Panama has some appeal over the UK.

So you actually want to attract the attention of the IRS? :confused:

mrken30 Jul 29th 2016 2:58 pm

I just thought the weather may be better. You can wear Bermuda shorts for more of the year.

Pulaski Jul 29th 2016 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 12015130)
I just thought the weather may be better. You can wear Bermuda shorts for more of the year.

Oooh, you're talking about living there, I thought you just wanted a mailing address there. :o