British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Keeping UK bank account open – address ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/keeping-uk-bank-account-open-%E2%80%93-address-879986/)

UK2toUSA Jul 6th 2016 1:17 pm

Keeping UK bank account open – address ?
 
Hi All,

We will be in USA by early September ..We bank with Barclays and Santander.

I have changed the preference to E-statements (paperless) .

What shall I do with our address as we have sold our house.

What options do I have to keep the account running in UK.

Thanks

Pulaski Jul 6th 2016 1:29 pm

Re: Keeping UK bank account open – address ?
 
Some banks will reportedly take a US address, but there have been reports of some banks/ branches closing the accounts of people moving to the US. The problem is, as I am sure you have worked out, that once you have told the bank you're in the US, there is no going back.

I have kept my account, and given them my mother's address. This is necessarily only a temporary solution, though hopefully for a good number of years yet. :fingerscrossed: What happens after that, I'm not sure. ..... Maybe my sister's address, if I am on good terms with her. :unsure:

Sheepdip Jul 6th 2016 1:37 pm

Re: Keeping UK bank account open – address ?
 
My UK bank uses my US address without any issues (at the moment!)

rpjs Jul 6th 2016 1:51 pm

Re: Keeping UK bank account open – address ?
 
Check with your bank if they'll let you keep your account with a US address, and if they say no change now. I bank with First Direct in the UK and they had no problems.

MidAtlantic Jul 6th 2016 2:08 pm

Re: Keeping UK bank account open – address ?
 
I kept my UK bank (Lloyds) and credit card (Nationwide) accounts using my US address with no problems.

UK2toUSA Jul 6th 2016 2:44 pm

Re: Keeping UK bank account open – address ?
 
Thanks all - someone has experience of using USA address with Barclays or santander

mrken30 Jul 6th 2016 4:29 pm

Re: Keeping UK bank account open – address ?
 
I have a Nationwide account that would not let me use a US address, but I have seen people on here that were able to change to a US address. i spoke to the lady in the branch, maybe I should have spoken to the call center.

hungryhorace Jul 6th 2016 5:03 pm

Re: Keeping UK bank account open – address ?
 

Originally Posted by UK2toUSA (Post 11995440)
Thanks all - someone has experience of using USA address with Barclays or santander

Barclays take a US address with no problems. Though I changed it back to a British one, as it's impossible to buy stuff online in the UK without a British residential billing address linked to the card.

mrken30 Jul 6th 2016 5:24 pm

Re: Keeping UK bank account open – address ?
 

Originally Posted by hungryhorace (Post 11995587)
Barclays take a US address with no problems. Though I changed it back to a British one, as it's impossible to buy stuff online in the UK without a British residential billing address linked to the card.

I have found the same problem, everyone wants a UK postcode. The only exception to this was my capitalone care sometimes works using my US zip code

Jerseygirl Jul 6th 2016 5:27 pm

Re: Keeping UK bank account open – address ?
 

Originally Posted by hungryhorace (Post 11995587)
Barclays take a US address with no problems. Though I changed it back to a British one, as it's impossible to buy stuff online in the UK without a British residential billing address linked to the card.


Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 11995610)
I have found the same problem, everyone wants a UK postcode. The only exception to this was my capitalone care sometimes works using my US zip code

The Nat West have been sending correspondence to our US address for almost 20 years. We recently had the US address changed to our Canadian address...no problem. :thumbsup:

mrken30 Jul 6th 2016 5:48 pm

Re: Keeping UK bank account open – address ?
 
The postcode issue is only a problem when trying to buy stuff online or some retailers

celticgrid Jul 6th 2016 6:24 pm

Re: Keeping UK bank account open – address ?
 

Originally Posted by hungryhorace (Post 11995587)
Barclays take a US address with no problems. Though I changed it back to a British one, as it's impossible to buy stuff online in the UK without a British residential billing address linked to the card.

I'm surprised. I have never had any trouble. Guess I shop at different places to you. ;)

celticgrid Jul 6th 2016 6:26 pm

Re: Keeping UK bank account open – address ?
 

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 11995633)
The postcode issue is only a problem when trying to buy stuff online or some retailers

As per above, I've never had a problem. If the site/retailer does not ship overseas, that's a different story.

I find the biggest issue is sometimes getting them to remove the VAT element in the pricing as they should not charge that for goods shipped to the US.

mrken30 Jul 6th 2016 6:33 pm

Re: Keeping UK bank account open – address ?
 

Originally Posted by celticgrid (Post 11995669)
As per above, I've never had a problem. If the site/retailer does not ship overseas, that's a different story.

I find the biggest issue is sometimes getting them to remove the VAT element in the pricing as they should not charge that for goods shipped to the US.

I seem to recall it's the verified by visa system that causes the problem. I mostly use my UK card for buying gifts for family and paying my electric and water bills.

tonrob Jul 6th 2016 6:40 pm

Re: Keeping UK bank account open – address ?
 

Originally Posted by celticgrid (Post 11995668)
I'm surprised. I have never had any trouble. Guess I shop at different places to you. ;)

Me neither.


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:30 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.