Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Keeping UK Bank account

Keeping UK Bank account

Old Jan 14th 2016, 6:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Keeping UK Bank account

Here's a fun thing I've just discovered.

Natwest won't automatically send you a new card if you don't use it for more than a year. Ordering a new one online doesn't work, you apparently have to call in. I'll probably skype them next week sometime.

I do like Natwest overall mainly as their security is based on one of those nifty chip readers to make a one time code, but you do need a card to slot into it.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 7:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Don't you only have report your foreign accounts if the total balance reaches at least $10,000?
Identify the maximum value in GBP of each account during the year; if the total of those maximums is greater than $10,000 you have to complete an FBAR, converting to USD using the Treasury Reporting rates of Exchange as at December 31. Obviously if you have only one account it is simpler.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

markcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
Identify the maximum value in GBP of each account during the year; if the total of those maximums is greater than $10,000 you have to complete an FBAR, converting to USD using the Treasury Reporting rates of Exchange as at December 31. Obviously if you have only one account it is simpler.
And if you are selling a house in the UK and the residual goes into an account for a short period (only of which a smallish percentage comes over to the US), do you have to declare that? (I.e. you haven't done a US tax return, you've just got here!)
Old Jan 14th 2016, 9:39 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Don't you only have report your foreign accounts if the total balance reaches at least $10,000?
Right. We don't have to tell the IRS. The banks have to tell them if they have any US residents as account holders.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 10:06 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markcst
And if you are selling a house in the UK and the residual goes into an account for a short period (only of which a smallish percentage comes over to the US), do you have to declare that? (I.e. you haven't done a US tax return, you've just got here!)
General comment:

If the house sale is completed BEFORE immigrating into the US, it need not be reported when the tax returns are done. If the house sale is completed AFTER immigrating to the US, US income tax laws apply.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 10:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

HSBC just sent a letter to me saying they want to close my UK account due to inactivity... They said it's fraud prevention.
Old Jan 15th 2016, 10:02 am
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

I had no problems with firstdirect changing my address to my US location.

HOWEVER, I would caution that even though I am now back in the UK, I am plagued by requests to 'explain my US connection'. This is due to firstdirect attempting to comply with FATCA, the US law which requires global financial institutions to report non-resident US citizens assets to the US government. (My basic understanding, others may correct me).

It would make me think twice about doing that again, and using a relative's UK address instead in the future.
Old Jan 15th 2016, 5:24 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellowroom
I had no problems with firstdirect changing my address to my US location.

HOWEVER, I would caution that even though I am now back in the UK, I am plagued by requests to 'explain my US connection'. This is due to firstdirect attempting to comply with FATCA, the US law which requires global financial institutions to report non-resident US citizens assets to the US government. (My basic understanding, others may correct me.)
Not just non-resident, it's all US citizens and anyone else subject to US income tax, such as permanent residents and resident aliens.

The original primary purpose of FATCA was to catch US citizens with off-shore accounts in places like the Cayman Islands and Switzerland, among other tax havens. Secondarily, it catches US citizens outside the US, because they are also subject to US income tax (which is what you alluded to). All the other people are just swept up into the process, and many may not actually be subject to US taxes.
Old Jan 16th 2016, 1:34 am
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

We have First Direct accounts, and they have had no problem with us living first in Switzerland, then the US. They have our US address, and happily send out cards, and the FATCA forms on which we need to confirm our US tax status We're compliant, so it's a minor paperwork hassle. I keep all the UK money in non-interest bearing checking accounts, so I don't have to bother remembering to report piffling pennies on the 1040.
Old Jan 16th 2016, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

Disenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond repute

I kept my NatWest accounts open (savings & checking), they closed my checking because of inactivity but I was able to re-establish the account on a visit to the UK.

I currently pay Class 2 NIC's via DD to the DWP, NatWest do not do DD from a savings account so keeping your checking account as well as savings could be useful to you in the future.
Old Jan 16th 2016, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, the report goes to The Treasury. Regardless of total sums, all interest should be reported to the IRS.

Back on topic, I kept my UK bank account after I moved in 1987. Initially because I had rental income but then just because it is very useful to have. The bank has always had my US address.
Old Jan 18th 2016, 6:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Here's a fun thing I've just discovered.

Natwest won't automatically send you a new card if you don't use it for more than a year. Ordering a new one online doesn't work, you apparently have to call in. I'll probably skype them next week sometime.

I do like Natwest overall mainly as their security is based on one of those nifty chip readers to make a one time code, but you do need a card to slot into it.
The guy at the Natwest call center (or is that call centre?) was shockingly polite and efficient. I seem to have become accustomed to surly agents with thick Alabama accents who have to put you on hold for the slightest thing.
Old Jan 18th 2016, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

FatFrank is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
The guy at the Natwest call center (or is that call centre?) was shockingly polite and efficient. I seem to have become accustomed to surly agents with thick Alabama accents who have to put you on hold for the slightest thing.
Yeah, I was on the phone today to Woolwich (Barclays now) and they were so efficient and helpful it actually took me by surprise......must be a UK versus US customer service thing. I think the UK service agents are mainly out to genuinely help you, whereas the US agents seem typically out to appease you..
Old Jan 19th 2016, 3:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Is it fraudulent to imitate being a UK resident, by using a UK address when you are not? I thought that some banks stipulate UK residents only because they dont want to deal with US reporting.
Old Jan 19th 2016, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
Is it fraudulent to imitate being a UK resident, by using a UK address when you are not? I thought that some banks stipulate UK residents only because they dont want to deal with US reporting.
uummm... it should take about one second for you to answer that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.