Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Keeping Fingerprint Information

Keeping Fingerprint Information

Old Apr 18th 2008, 8:58 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Keeping Fingerprint Information

Originally Posted by 1skydive
Yeah, that's actually quite the question. Can a country deport it's own citizens I wonder?
A naturalized one.... yes !
Old Apr 18th 2008, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

1skydive is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ray
I guess this is true. http://www.dawn.com/2005/01/06/top11.htm

So, if I were from a country where I had to denounce my citizenship, to where would they deport me?
Old Apr 18th 2008, 9:20 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I guess this is true. http://www.dawn.com/2005/01/06/top11.htm

So, if I were from a country where I had to denounce my citizenship, to where would they deport me?
You would stay at a Club Fed facilty until you found a country that
would accept you ...
Old Apr 19th 2008, 12:45 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Curtilage.
That's only one narrow aspect of privacy.
Old Apr 19th 2008, 1:05 am
Forum Regular

it's just not cricket is a jewel in the roughit's just not cricket is a jewel in the roughit's just not cricket is a jewel in the roughit's just not cricket is a jewel in the rough

No, the US Government cannot, under any circumstances, deport a US citizen.

However, they can revoke citizenship from a naturalized citizen (denaturalize) and deport the former citizen. This is a rare step with a heavy legal burden on the government and can only be taken for transgressions that occurred *prior* to naturalization--in other words you can commit every crime known to man after you are naturalized and they still cannot revoke your citizenship. The most common reason for denaturalization is the discovery of fraud during the naturalization process.
Old Apr 19th 2008, 1:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Pharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to behold

No, the US Government cannot, under any circumstances, deport a US citizen.

However, they can revoke citizenship from a naturalized citizen (denaturalize) and deport the former citizen. This is a rare step with a heavy legal burden on the government and can only be taken for transgressions that occurred *prior* to naturalization--in other words you can commit every crime known to man after you are naturalized and they still cannot revoke your citizenship. The most common reason for denaturalization is the discovery of fraud during the naturalization process.
True - it's been done with people such as concentration camp guards from WW2 and the like...
Old Apr 19th 2008, 4:05 am
Forum Regular

1skydive is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry, I was too late to edit my post. My link was bad....

http://www.dawn.com/2005/01/06/top11.htm
Old Apr 20th 2008, 5:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I'm far, far more worried about all the financial data that all the credit card companies are sharing about me, and the widespread use of my SSN. Just last month, my home insurance broker called and wanted me to fill out a form that included my SSN. I asserted that they had no right to request my SSN, and they asserted back (in a polite sort of way!) that they had no obligation to offer me home insurance. I did some research, and they were right! They 'need' the SSN to see if I've made claims in the past.

We are finally seeing some laws that govern the use of SSN by government agencies, but there are very few laws that apply to private organizations - at least not many that aren't full of loopholes and exceptions.

My fingerprint is not on my list of things to worry about ...
Old Apr 21st 2008, 4:51 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

I do not mean to offend with my question and I don't fully understand why you say it would offend. However I do believe that the keeping of personal biometric data for the sole purpose of identifying a person, for no valid reason, yes, I do believe it be unconstitutional.

If the govt said "Hey, we're gonna put rfid chips in everyone" People would refuse and say it's unconstitutional. Semantics aside, they are similar situations.

It's not like I am going to freak out if they keep my fingerprints. But as the big-brother debate seems to becoming more and more important; as our civil liberties are slowly eroding, it was just a concern that crossed my mind.

I apologize if I have offended.
Rob.
Hi:

The death penalty offends many people. [I take the Jewish viewpoint -- the thing is allowed, but a Sanhedrin which imposes once every 70 years is bloodthirsty]. But it is constitutional.

Fingerprints and DNA are often considered to be akin to having a photograph. That tracking chip is something else.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 5:06 am
Account Closed

Well, I cannot tell you exactly which part of the constitution. However, we have privacy rights, constitutionally protected, and this, in my opinion, is breaking my rights to privacy. I should have the same privacy rights as any other American.
Hi:

OK, there is an argument on this. There is a limited "right to privacy" which is considered to be within the "penumbra" of the Bill of Rights. This actually came into fruition with the Griswold case which struck down Connecticut's law against all birth control. This has also come up in regards to the anti-sodomy laws.

However, the way an American can avoid having the government keep from keeping information is to not give the information to the government in the first place. But once they have the information by legitimate means, no reason why they can't keep it. I was born in the United States, and every time I've had my fingerprints taken was because I voluntarily gave them as part of the processing of applying for something I wanted.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 5:13 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Ray
Hi:

The United States law does not allow for the deportation of its own citizens -- period. However, if the person is denaturalized for having illegal procured that citizenship in the first place -- different question.

A fairly recent case which arose in the 11th Circuit [your neck of the woods] -- person naturalizes, and afterwards is convicted of drug smuggling which occurred before naturalization -- defense was that he had not even been arrested or indicted at time of naturalization -- court ruled that the act controlled.