Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Keeping Fingerprint Information

Keeping Fingerprint Information

Old Apr 18th 2008, 7:07 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Keeping Fingerprint Information

Originally Posted by 1skydive
we have privacy rights, constitutionally protected,
Nah. There's nothing in the constitution to protect privacy, at least in a general sense.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 7:12 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Nah. There's nothing in the constitution to protect privacy, at least in a general sense.
Curtilage.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 7:17 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I cannot tell you exactly which part of the constitution. However, we have privacy rights, constitutionally protected, and this, in my opinion, is breaking my rights to privacy. I should have the same privacy rights as any other American.
USSC have thrashed out your rights to privacy many times. It's not a general right but rather depends on the context. In the bathroom of your home, for example, you expect a much higher degree of privacy than when driving your car down the highway.

I'm all with you BTW on not trusting my government to do the right thing. But you did give them your fingerprints of your own volition. I think it would be an uphill struggle to get it to the USSC. But if you want to try, I shall follow with interest and may even applaud at suitable moments.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 7:39 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

But just to get back to my original question. I was just trying to find out if in fact, once all the background checks were complete, are the fingerprints kept on file. I'm guessing probably so. But why do they need to keep them?

I don't want this to become a "heavy' subject. I guess talking about privacy rights tends to invoke responses.
I believe so, and no I can't prove it, but since the FBI and other law enforcement agencies have data banks of FP then once a fingerprint is put into the system, it stays in the system.

My husband's is in the system for Canada, the US and Interpol. When I think about it, I'm actually glad that FP would be in the system. I can think of any number of reasons why it would be beneficial as a means of identifying a body and/or live person. A lot less invasionary then a credit or medical history.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

1skydive is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fatbrit
I'm all with you BTW on not trusting my government to do the right thing. But you did give them your fingerprints of your own volition. I think it would be an uphill struggle to get it to the USSC. But if you want to try, I shall follow with interest and may even applaud at suitable moments.
This is true, my fingerprints were freely given, but, as they stated to me, it was so they could check for 'terrorist activity' and other potential criminal involvement. When none were found, really, should they not destroy that information?

Of course, they are not going to do this of their own accord. I thought perhaps someone may have challenged this. I for one, am not going to be the first challenger; it's not particularly my style.

Rete, I'm not freaking out. I've actually been thinking about this for a number of years. It was just an article on Slashdot yesterday that brought this topic to the forefront of my mind. I figured it would be worth a question to see if it had been challenged.

After this thread is dead and buried, I'll go back to just 'thinking about it' again. Being an IT guy, its kind of in my nature to be a little paranoid and a bit of a conspiracy theorist.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 7:44 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Curtilage.
I though that was connective tissue
Old Apr 18th 2008, 7:51 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by Ray
I though that was connective tissue
You should know that one with FL's Castle Doctrine and your bloody, great arsenal!
Old Apr 18th 2008, 7:52 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

You should know that one with FL's Castle Doctrine and your bloody, great arsenal!
Oh that bit of land ....I protect ...
Old Apr 18th 2008, 7:55 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by Ray
Oh that bit of land ....I protect ...
Yep -- Florida's very own squirrel-free zone!
Old Apr 18th 2008, 8:04 pm
Ray

Now for that bleedin whippoorwill...
Old Apr 18th 2008, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

I would have thought that since you can be deported for committing certain crimes they keep your fingerprints so they can identify you as a deportable person?
Old Apr 18th 2008, 8:15 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

St. Ray is making Florida squirrel free just as St. Patrick made Ireland snakeless.

One day they will erect a statute in his honor in "it's a small world" in Disneyland and all the little folk will pay homage to his likeness.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 8:20 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by Rete
One day they will erect a statute in his honor in "it's a small world" in Disneyland and all the little folk will pay homage to his likeness.
Its already up .... they call me Pluto there ..
Old Apr 18th 2008, 8:22 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Ray
Its already up .... they call me Pluto there ..

The animal or once was planet?????

Hmmm the animal I believe. Just look at them ears
Old Apr 18th 2008, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

1skydive is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
I would have thought that since you can be deported for committing certain crimes they keep your fingerprints so they can identify you as a deportable person?
Yeah, that's actually quite the question. Can a country deport it's own citizens I wonder?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.