Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Kaiser Permanente - confused

Kaiser Permanente - confused

Old Dec 2nd 2012, 2:28 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kaiser Permanente - confused

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer
Sounds like a lot of work for everyone involved, I think it's time Geoff has the "Let's try anal" discussion with the wife.
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 2:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

When I had mine done, I had it done in the doctor's office and within a few minutes after they gave me a valium injection, I could care less what they were doing. I don't think there was any local anesthetic and didn't feel a thing.

About an hour later, I left the doctor's office and had a great high for the next two hours and no hangover. It was a little sore for the next day or two and then several weeks later they checked the sperm count to make sure that everything was closed off.
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 2:40 am
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

It's more fun when done up the bum.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 8:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer
Sounds like a lot of work for everyone involved, I think it's time Geoff has the "Let's try anal" discussion with the wife.
Oddly that was one of the first things she said to me on our first date (banned). Maybe us Westerners have a reputation?

Anyway, , never appealed to me.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 1:09 am
Banned

numbchuck is an unknown quantity at this point

jeepers its when u read things like this u can see why the docs dont complain as they have literally free reign to treat patients like open wallets!!

also medicare is trillions in debt so i think when hospital see someone they can bill they bill u not only for what u are having done but also for the x other people that never bothered to pay their bill!!

anyone ever thought about trying a county hospital? heard they cant turn u away or demand money up front etc i heard the standards of care are pretty good too.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 1:23 am
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by numbchuck
jeepers its when u read things like this u can see why the docs dont complain as they have literally free reign to treat patients like open wallets!!

also medicare is trillions in debt so i think when hospital see someone they can bill they bill u not only for what u are having done but also for the x other people that never bothered to pay their bill!!

anyone ever thought about trying a county hospital? heard they cant turn u away or demand money up front etc i heard the standards of care are pretty good too.
Jackson Hospital here in Miami is a shining example of that. People bitch and moan about the cost, but they treat the poor, when "for profit" hospitals turn them away.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 1:47 am
BE Enthusiast

captainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rallybug
I've been on the other side of this area, in as much as, since I've been in the US I've had a circumcision, and we've both gone through some other testing prior to actually getting pregnant - for me, sperm viability test and some post-op testing for a couple of issues..

My brain still explodes when the statements come through from Select Health and then from the various medical providers. To be hones, I'd rather not see the statements from the insurance company as I just want to know how much to pay!

For the circumcision, I paid my deductible up-front to the hospital and then, a number of weeks after the op, and once all the bills had been settled, I got a check back from the hospital for over-payment.

It'd be nice if they could work out exactly what I had to pay, rather than use some of my money for their own purposes while they decide.
Did you leave a tip?
Old Dec 11th 2012, 5:49 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by captainsensible
Did you leave a tip?
Tip of what?

Had the education lesson today. Ten minute video of a manly bloke and his family, filmed in the 80s judging by the clothes and the cars, who hadn't lost his mojo, honest guv.

Still no definitive word on the costs yet: that won't happen until the urologist starts groping the nether regions and decides on the cheap method. He will, or the wife gets another skin hormone dispensary thingymajig.

You have to wait 3 days in California after doing the class before you can go under the knife (30 if on Medi-Cal). They have the classes on a Monday and the surgeries every Thursday so one can relax at the weekend with only 1 day off work for most people.
Old Dec 11th 2012, 7:06 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Hope the bill isn't too painful.
Hospital charged $720 for the 20 mins in the room with the scanner. Haven't got a bill from the radiographer nor the doctor who read the results yet.

Ironic that a kick in the nuts lead to another kick in the nuts
Old Dec 11th 2012, 8:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Tip of what?

Had the education lesson today. Ten minute video of a manly bloke and his family, filmed in the 80s judging by the clothes and the cars, who hadn't lost his mojo, honest guv.

Still no definitive word on the costs yet: that won't happen until the urologist starts groping the nether regions and decides on the cheap method. He will, or the wife gets another skin hormone dispensary thingymajig.

You have to wait 3 days in California after doing the class before you can go under the knife (30 if on Medi-Cal). They have the classes on a Monday and the surgeries every Thursday so one can relax at the weekend with only 1 day off work for most people.
Just had a thought (and probably going off on a tangent here - but I check and double check EVERYTHING when it comes to health service issues); since this is an 'elective' surgery (you don't have to have it done do you for medical reasons?) are you SURE Kaiser will cover it under insurance?

I'm always amazed as to how many doctors offices say "Oh yes we take such and such insurance" - that's no guarantee that the insurance will pay such and such office!

Paranoid I know .....
Old Dec 11th 2012, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Just had a thought (and probably going off on a tangent here - but I check and double check EVERYTHING when it comes to health service issues); since this is an 'elective' surgery (you don't have to have it done do you for medical reasons?) are you SURE Kaiser will cover it under insurance?

I'm always amazed as to how many doctors offices say "Oh yes we take such and such insurance" - that's no guarantee that the insurance will pay such and such office!

Paranoid I know .....
I will be sure to check before the procedure starts! The more helpful person at the call center I eventually spoke to said it was classed as preventative care, most of which are included in the Kaiser plan at little cost. Come to think of it, the urologist last night said the same thing because he went on about how having a vasectomy reversal is not included unless medically necessary. I guess the idea is that you don't get anyone pregnant so long term Kaiser only pay out $500ish for a snip compared to the thousands or tens of thousands for a baby.
Old Dec 13th 2012, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

marbella-james is an unknown quantity at this point

This has got me thinking, wouldnt it cheap and easier to just get a round trip to the UK? That way you kill 2 birds with one stone aka see all your old friends and family plus get treated at the same time!
Old Dec 13th 2012, 11:20 am
Banned

Originally Posted by marbella-james
This has got me thinking, wouldnt it cheap and easier to just get a round trip to the UK? That way you kill 2 birds with one stone aka see all your old friends and family plus get treated at the same time!
I believe that's illegal if you are no longer paying NI. I wouldn't do it on principle, even though I have no health insurance here.
Old Dec 13th 2012, 4:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by marbella-james
If you can find me a flight for less than $30 then I'm up for it. I can't afford a 3-4 month waiting list for something I'm not entitled to, though.
Old Dec 14th 2012, 2:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethelred_the_Unready
I believe that's illegal if you are no longer paying NI. I wouldn't do it on principle, even though I have no health insurance here.
Not NI, but residency to qualify I believe.