Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Kaiser Permanente - confused

Kaiser Permanente - confused

Old Nov 27th 2012, 9:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kaiser Permanente - confused

Originally Posted by Bob
Aye, fine in the end, able to see a doc a couple hours after I called as he had a cancellation, good job too as things were a spot bloody painful. Then a 6 hour wait at the hospital for a scan, so me and the kids buggered off to the mall for a few hours before heading back.

Then a handful of drugs, antibiotics and painkillers.

Yet to see a bill, so I might weep yet
Hope the bill isn't too painful.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 10:09 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Speedwell - of course you can choose. Go through the list of urologists that are available through your insurance plan and chose the one that suits you. If your plan required you to see your general practitioner prior to seeing the urologist, the GP may be able to give you a few recommendations. The urologist (the office staff, actually) should be dealing with the insurance company, not you, and the staff know perfectly well what the insurance will cover and what the remaining cost to you should be.

This is not a complex procedure, it's quick and simple. You should not be billed by a half-dozen different people. A single bill from the doctor's office.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Well yes, I know what I would choose, what wasn't clear from the start was how I choose - or even if I could choose! The difference in the types of surgery (local vs general) wasn't even mentioned, just the setting.

If it's one thing I've learned, it's that you have to keep phoning until you get somebody that is (a) willing; and (b) able to explain.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 10:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

I looked back at a previous email from Kaiser and noticed it had a different phone number. So I phoned it and this is what was said:

$1750 comes from $1500 deductible plus 10% copay of $2501 surgery cost. That's if you're put to sleep in an outpatient clinic.

$30 is the copay if done in a doctor's office.

The reason for the confusion is because Kaiser are in a transition stage where some plans cover the cost as a preventative measure and some don't, and some cover a general anaesthetic and some don't.

So - and she stressed this - as long as I find out in the initial doctor visit where the setting will be, I should know whether it's going to be the former or the latter. In other words, it's up to the doctor where it'll be - though I thought that the vast majority are done with local anaesthetic.

I hope.
Oh well that clears things up a bit.

I used to work in a hospital in the UK where we had a surgeon who would 'snip' his private patients in a room just off ER every Wednesday afternoon.

They all were snipped under local anaesthetic. Talk about careful walking after the op Only used to take about an hour overall.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 10:16 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

If it's one thing I've learned, it's that you have to keep phoning until you get somebody that is (a) willing; and (b) able to explain.
c) able to commit to paper too.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 1:38 am
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

I already don't like the sound of Kaiser Permanente. They sound like the kind of people who would chop off your bollocks and charge you half the value of your house for doing so.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 12:36 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

A friend organised a visit for a group of NHS GPs to Kaiser this year so they could share best practices.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 1:40 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

whether its in office or hospital depends on what facility the chosen doc has at their disposal. if they are just in an office somewhere then they may need to send you to a 'facility which ups the cost.

my husband had it done recently at the same time he had hernia surgery so it was only around 2-300$ cost which the insurance covered.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

bilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to behold

This whole thread throws up the stupidity of the whole health care system over here......and the fact that they throw these numbers at you - before deductable, co pay etc.......you're supposed to think that just because the Hospital charges $2000 for an op - but hey with insurance you only pay $200....you're getting a bargain....

Hubbys op - private clinic in Reading was 175 pounds......in out......snippity snip snip and a drive home.....simples......

A
Old Nov 30th 2012, 1:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

rallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to all

I've been on the other side of this area, in as much as, since I've been in the US I've had a circumcision, and we've both gone through some other testing prior to actually getting pregnant - for me, sperm viability test and some post-op testing for a couple of issues..

My brain still explodes when the statements come through from Select Health and then from the various medical providers. To be hones, I'd rather not see the statements from the insurance company as I just want to know how much to pay!

For the circumcision, I paid my deductible up-front to the hospital and then, a number of weeks after the op, and once all the bills had been settled, I got a check back from the hospital for over-payment.

It'd be nice if they could work out exactly what I had to pay, rather than use some of my money for their own purposes while they decide.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 1:44 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Note that the "they" who charged you upfront and then refunded the overpayment is not the same "they" that decided what your share of the cost would be. The former was the hospital, the latter was the insurance company.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by rallybug
It'd be nice if they could work out exactly what I had to pay, rather than use some of my money for their own purposes while they decide.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 1:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Speedwell
The morning of major surgery to remove my massively infected, life-threatening time bomb of a useless, dead kidney, a Catholic hospital told me I suddenly owed 800 dollars. I had to call eight friends and borrow various amounts from each one. The surgery was late while I begged them to wait for me to come up with the money, and almost had to be rescheduled for three weeks later. The doctor said it was a good thing I was able to come up with the money because he thought three more weeks would have done irreparable damage to my body. When I asked him what I should have done if I couldn't raise the money, he just shrugged. "These things happen, it's just bad luck," he said.
Wow... And there's me thinking the Hypocratic Oath trumped everything and a Catholic hospital would be caring & sympathetic....

I'm utterly disgusted.

As if you didn't have enough on your plate!!

Glad it worked out...
Old Dec 1st 2012, 1:27 pm
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

Frightening. Reading some of the stories on here makes me believe that I simply have to go back home. I have no health insurance at all and it's only a matter of time before I get sick. Haven't even been for a checkup in 5 years.
Old Dec 1st 2012, 2:48 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

It's almost impossible to find out how much treatment will cost you because it depends of how much you've already spent that year, your deductible and out-of-pocket costs, where you have the procedure (in network or out) etc etc.

Dentistry is a lot better at costing as the dental office seems to be better connected to the insurer (if you have one). I just had a root canal and at my initial consultation I asked the receptionist what it would cost and how much my insurance covered. She came back immediately with $1400 and looked up my plan and told me 100%. She confirmed the numbers on my next visit and I just got a simple bill the other day showing the cost ($1400), the amount paid by insurance ($1400) and the amount I owed ($0).

So this was as good an experience as it could have been for me, but such as system can easily lead to cost inflation.
Old Dec 1st 2012, 8:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
Dentistry is a lot better at costing as the dental office seems to be better connected to the insurer (if you have one). I just had a root canal and at my initial consultation I asked the receptionist what it would cost and how much my insurance covered. She came back immediately with $1400 and looked up my plan and told me 100%. She confirmed the numbers on my next visit and I just got a simple bill the other day showing the cost ($1400), the amount paid by insurance ($1400) and the amount I owed ($0).
Dentistry is a lot easier because there's typically only one provider - the dentist - involved. If you get any significant health issue, there are often multiple doctors, the hospital, labs etc. A total mess.
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 1:33 am
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a lot of work for everyone involved, I think it's time Geoff has the "Let's try anal" discussion with the wife.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.