British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   k3 / work authorization (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/k3-work-authorization-109287/)

cbernard Jul 8th 2002 8:23 pm

k3 / work authorization

Hi, just planning ahead...

We're in the middle of the what-seems-to-be perpetual wait for k3 approival, but my wife is a little workaholic and wants to get a job as soon as she gets here.

i understand she will have to apply via mail for work authorization after she gets the K3, anyone know what the average wait time for that would be? I understand it could be anything, but just checking.

Thanks,

Court

Mark Fuller Jul 9th 2002 3:20 pm

Re: k3 / work authorization

My wife entered on K3 4/28/02. She filed AOS and EAD 5/14/02. She received letter
7/6/02 from INS giving EAD interview date. Date of interview is 7/31/02.

We asked for temporary EAD at POE in Dallas. They wouldn't give it.

Also, for K3 my understanding is that you can mail the EAD application to Chicago, or
file locally if you file AOS (file EAD with AOS which is filed locally). We filed the
EAD with the AOS locally. We filed locally by mail using John Dorer's services
(www.usavisanow.com).

If you file EAD locally (at the same time you file AOS), you can file in person. In
some (or all?) offices they will give the EAD at that moment. We could have filed in
person but in Phoenix it's at a price. In Phoenix we would have to stand in line for
2-3 hours to get an appointment to file in person. Appointment is 2-4 weeks later.
This would have saved us 3-4 weeks.

Mark

cbernard <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi, just planning ahead...
    >
    > i understand she will have to apply via mail for work authorization after she gets
    > the K3, anyone know what the average wait time for that would be? I understand it
    > could be anything, but just checking.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Court

cbernard Jul 10th 2002 12:01 am

thanks for the tip. i think the INS line is longer here in San Jose -- i drive by it on my way to work and I know someday, I or my wife are going to have to stand in that line that goes clear around the building...

she's going to be bored silly until she's allowed to have a job. I should look into some sort of small business and hire her myself. All i need is a million-dollar idea ;-)

cbernard Jul 10th 2002 12:02 am

ps: may i ask how long the K3 took for your wife? We are in the perpetual wait/falling-apart mode.

thanks

Anton Gereau Jul 10th 2002 3:20 am

She'd still be working illegally. Better not. At least don't word it like
that "hire."

Anton Gereau

cbernard wrote:

> thanks for the tip. i think the INS line is longer here in San Jose -- i drive by
    > it on my way to work and I know someday, I or my wife are going to have to stand in
    > that line that goes clear around the building...
    >
    > she's going to be bored silly until she's allowed to have a job. I should look
    > into some sort of small business and hire her myself. All i need is a
    > million-dollar idea ;)
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Brian
    >
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Mark A. Fuller Jul 10th 2002 4:20 am

"cbernard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > ps: may i ask how long the K3 took for your wife? We are in the perpetual
    > wait/falling-apart mode.

It took five months. It could have been 2-3 weeks sooner if the lawyer didn't forget
to fax a request to open a provisional file to the consulate. He faxed it when I
called him asking why there was no provisional file. The official file arrived the
day after he faxed the request. (But, in our case it wasn't too disappointing because
this particular consulate is flexible; took care of Packet 3 in person; and we
weren't ready to leave until later anyway. Just for your reference do I mention that
our timeline could have been a little less.)

Oct-28-01 - I-130 mailed to California Serv. Ctr. Nov-01-01 - I-129F mailed to
Chigago. Nov-09-01 - I-129F receipted. Feb-01-02 - I-129F approved. Feb-04-02 -
I-129F approval received. Feb-26-02 - NVC sends letter notifying me the approved
I-129F was received by them and the petition has been sent to the Consulate in
Santiago Chile. Mar-01-02 - Received above-mentioned NVC letter dated Feb-26-02.
Mar-14-02 - Embassy in Santiago receives the file. Interview date is set for April
16. (Interview could have been sooner but we weren't ready to leave until after that
April 16.)

Mark

Paul Helpdesk Jul 13th 2002 1:20 am

You could check out the current processing times at your local INS office by
visiting: http://www.visapro.com/INS-Processing-Times.asp

Paul @ HelpDesk