Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

K3 : I-186 Affidavit of Support Questions..

K3 : I-186 Affidavit of Support Questions..

Old Sep 3rd 2002, 12:04 pm
darrenb

Default K3 : I-186 Affidavit of Support Questions..

Hi, I am a UKC married to my wife(USC). We married in the UK November of 2000 and have sinced lived in the UK. We now want to move back to the US.

I filed an I-130 which was approved. We sent off the DS-230 Part I & IF-169 to the US Embassy (london).

Except for 3 months my wife has not worked in the UK. This means she wont be above the poverty line and able to support me in the US's eyes. I am worried that this will stop us getting the Visa.

Her sister (USC) has agreed to act as co-sponsor. she more than meets the criteria (USC, lives in Ohio, full time job, has all tax returns, w2's etc)

I have a job with a US IT company here in the UK. I have been with them for 2 and a half years). They may offer me a position in the US. Can I use this to help our case? and if so how? from my understanding I (as the alien) cannot file an affidavit of support for myself. How can I used this job transfer to aid our case? Is there a form I can fill in? Do I need to bring some documentary evidence to the interview ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Darren

Old Sep 3rd 2002, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

mrsstrickland is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: K3 : I-186 Affidavit of Support Questions..

Originally posted by darrenb:
Hi, I am a UKC married to my wife(USC). We married in the UK November of 2000 and have sinced lived in the UK. We now want to move back to the US.

I filed an I-130 which was approved. We sent off the DS-230 Part I & IF-169 to the US Embassy (london).

Except for 3 months my wife has not worked in the UK. This means she wont be above the poverty line and able to support me in the US's eyes. I am worried that this will stop us getting the Visa.

Her sister (USC) has agreed to act as co-sponsor. she more than meets the criteria (USC, lives in Ohio, full time job, has all tax returns, w2's etc)

I have a job with a US IT company here in the UK. I have been with them for 2 and a half years). They may offer me a position in the US. Can I use this to help our case? and if so how? from my understanding I (as the alien) cannot file an affidavit of support for myself. How can I used this job transfer to aid our case? Is there a form I can fill in? Do I need to bring some documentary evidence to the interview ?

Thanks

Darren
It is of my understanding that your co-sponsor will be of no problem to you, and when you enter the US on the 130 ou are allowed to work and a letter from your employer to state you have a job in the states will of course help your situation, but you will probably need your co-sponsor, even if you are actually going to take care of your own responsibiltys.
Good Luck
Old Sep 3rd 2002, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

MissyF3359 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: K3 : I-186 Affidavit of Support Questions..

Originally posted by darrenb:
, I am a UKC married to my wife(USC). We married in the UK November of 2000 and have sinced lived in the UK. We now want to move back to the US.

Thanks

Darren
Hi Darren, I am a USC, and my husband is a UKC.My parents were my co-sponsors, as I only worked part-time, and had never filed taxes.They had to send in 3 years tax returns, and I sent a letter saying because I only earned a certain amount, I was not required to file a tax return. We've been married a little over 3 years now, and just had the conditions removed. Good luck to you!