Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

K1 visa issued. Seafreight options and next steps

Wikiposts

K1 visa issued. Seafreight options and next steps

Old Aug 21st 2021, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

nikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default K1 visa issued. Seafreight options and next steps

So after applying for K1 visa at the end of December 2019 I finally had my interview at the embassy on Tuesday August 17th 2021 and was approved. visa is arriving by courier on Monday. My flight is booked for September 28th. Now looking at seafreight companies. I know there are posts on here but most are really old and hoping to see suggestions for companies used since covid. I have had quotes from Pickfords and PSS Removals and seen both positive and negative reviews for both. Also seven seas worldwide movecube who seem more expensive and seems like fees on top. Not shipping furniture just like 30 or so boxes so airfreight not an option. Do any of these companies allow food and toiletries as was gonna ship some marmite and other long dated items that are heavy and would take up precious weight in my suitcases.
The house I own with my mum is on the market and I have a dentist appointment coming up. Who do I notify that I am moving. Can I keep my UK bank account and how does it work when i transfer money from UK to US (thinking equity when i sell house or inheritance in the future), doctor, dentist, mortgage company, student loan company, contact lense provider etc. Any major ones am missing. Are there any household items you wish you had taken with you from the UK or food that you find hard to find out in USA. I am moving to Orlando Florida.
Old Aug 27th 2021, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

nikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K1 visa issued. Seafreight options and next steps

Think am gonna go with pickfords sea freight and we worked out it will be cheaper to be added to my fiancee's insurance policy once married. Think I can use a multi-trip annual policy I already have for the first 30 days!
Old Aug 27th 2021, 8:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nikkif99uk
Think I can use a multi-trip annual policy I already have for the first 30 days!
If it's travel insurance, then it's highly unlikely that will cover you, because you're moving permanently, not just visiting. So check with your insurer.

As to who to inform in the UK, although this Wiki article is for Canada, it's still got a good list in it for reference - https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Depar..._(UK_to_Canada)

HTH.
Old Aug 28th 2021, 3:49 am
Furby

Glasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Most banks will let you keep your UK bank account and you should do so. Once you leave you will not be able to open one. Transferring money between the two countries is easy these days. Wise, used to be Transferwise, is a good option with easy online interfaces and excellent exchange rates, but there are a couple of others out there as well. You need to set up an account and provide ID which gets verified. You might want to do that before you go because otherwise you may have an initial problem with ID requirements until you get settled.

Almost all food items that you might want are available on Amazon these days with pretty fast delivery so I would not worry too much about having any cravings that you cannot satisfy. In Florida, especially the Orlando area, Whole Foods and Publix carries a lot of British produce.

At the end of the day the only items that really matter are those you personally value. Almost everything else is the wrong voltage, or the wrong size, or just not worth the cost of transporting.

If you have any savings in any form other than cash in a regular savings account or shares held directly in a single company, sell them before you get here. That includes an ISA as the IRS wont recognize it. The US tax implications off not doing so are nasty.

You have to inform HRMC if you are leaving permanently. I think you use Form P85. Perhaps look into paying voluntary NI’s to build your UK state pension, best to arrange that before you leave as you are more likely to qualify for the very advantageous Class 2 rates.
Old Aug 29th 2021, 1:12 am
Just Joined

mcmannr63 is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations Nikki, I received my letter yesterday, so have interview etc to get done. I’m in Aberdeen, and moving NJ, bought a house there Jan 2020, pre covid lol!
Wrt shipping, best to leave toiletries/food at home. Anything with a hint of chemicals or food products could be held up by customs which can delay everything. Nb your shipment may land in one state and then enter Florida from there, meaning you’ve two sets of state custom laws to comply with, if desperate, post the stuff. I have a small whisky and wine collection I want to ship, but will go with ups while furniture and personal stuff gets shipped.
on Bank accts, keep a uk one. Western union, transferwise lets you transfer bank to bank. I’ve had a citi account in Manhattan for five years. HSBC let’s you easily transfer hsbc uk acct to us hsbc acct easily, but the admin fees and rate can be expensive.
any electric stuff that has a 6v or 9cv dc adapter can by used there with a us cable. But mains stuff needs to be dual voltage.
about to start my planning, interview/medical, rescheduled wedding, flights, dogs, shipper, house & car sale. Busy!
good luck, maybe see you in Marco Island!!