British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   k1 visa insurance options?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/k1-visa-insurance-options-844443/)

Duncym Oct 4th 2014 10:46 am

k1 visa insurance options??

Looked into insurance - her work insurance is outrageously expensive. So is not an option really.

Where do i get insurance from the time I arrive up until I get work insurance through a job?

Duncan

BunnyGirl Oct 4th 2014 12:39 pm

Re: k1 visa insurance options??

Originally Posted by Duncym (Post 11427649)
Looked into insurance - her work insurance is outrageously expensive. So is not an option really.

Where do i get insurance from the time I arrive up until I get work insurance through a job?

Duncan

How outrageous?

I was going to go through insubuy.com but our plans changed. They seemed quite reasonable/had good reviews.

RICH Oct 4th 2014 1:01 pm

cignaglobal.com Advert on my screen on this page....

Normally, work insurance is subsidized by the employer, hence the term Benefit. It is likely the most cost effective option, once you are married.

In my case, it seemed expensive to add me to my wife's, but she had top of the range options to cover ongoing health issues. When I eventually got a job with insurance, it was cheaper for me to take mine on the lower options than stay on hers.

The 6 weeks between arrival and getting married, I was uninsured. It never crossed my mind till later, that it could have been a problem.

Pulaski Oct 4th 2014 1:27 pm

Where do i get insurance from the time I arrive up until I get work insurance through a job? .....

Outrageously expensive compared to what? There is a good argument to be made that US health insurance is inherently "outrageously expensive". :rolleyes:

Considering the problems that immigrants face getting a job (because of no US job history, qualifications that aren't recognised, etc.), and specifically a "good" job, i.e. one with benefits, you may need coverage for several months after getting married, or even longer.

As a new immigrant you may be able to register for insurance through an "Affordable Healthcare Act" web site, either the one run by your state, or the federal portal, depending on which state you're moving to.

BunnyGirl Oct 4th 2014 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by RICH (Post 11427718)
cignaglobal.com Advert on my screen on this page....

Normally, work insurance is subsidized by the employer, hence the term Benefit. It is likely the most cost effective option, once you are married.

In my case, it seemed expensive to add me to my wife's, but she had top of the range options to cover ongoing health issues. When I eventually got a job with insurance, it was cheaper for me to take mine on the lower options than stay on hers.

The 6 weeks between arrival and getting married, I was uninsured. It never crossed my mind till later, that it could have been a problem.

I looked into it because our original plan had us uninsured for nearly 3 months, and I have a monkey of a 5 year old son who I could guarantee would end up in ER...

We'll only be uninsured for 2 weeks now so I'm going to wrap my son in bubble wrap for that period...

SanDiegogirl Oct 4th 2014 3:28 pm

Duncan

Outrageously expensive compared to what? A few hundred dollars a month is quite normal for health insurance premiums these days. Even with your own company insurance expect to pay a couple of hundred for decent insurance.

You could try your State's Exchange for your own insurance - but don't expect to pay much less.

Rather pay for an expensive insurance than be without.

sir_eccles Oct 4th 2014 4:50 pm

Go to www.healthcare.gov being a new immigrant is a qualifying event. Premiums are based on age and smoking.

Pulaski Oct 4th 2014 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 11427851)
Go to www.healthcare.gov being a new immigrant is a qualifying event. Premiums are based on age and smoking.

You should use the state website if the state has one, the federal site is only a fallback provision for people in states that did not set up their own.

sir_eccles Oct 4th 2014 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11427874)
You should use the state website if the state has one, the federal site is only a fallback provision for people in states that did not set up their own.

I believe the main site will direct you as required when you tell it what state you are in.

kins Oct 8th 2014 1:28 am

How much was it?

When I first moved to the US someone told me how much the premiums would be. I said 'Is that every six months?' They said 'No, that's every two weeks.'

It was still the cheapest option we could find that actually gave any meaningful coverage, so we took it.