Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

K1 visa after J1 - waive 2 year requirements?

K1 visa after J1 - waive 2 year requirements?

Old Jun 10th 2005, 3:43 pm
Just Joined

eagerstudent is an unknown quantity at this point
Question K1 visa after J1 - waive 2 year requirements?

Hi!

I did an internship from March 2004 to September 2004 in a research company in the US. Now I would like to go back in order to write my Diploma Thesis there. Since I met my fiance during my last stay in the US, I would also like to marry her in September.

Here is the problem: After a J1 visa I'm required to stay in a foreign country (in my case Germany) for 2 years before I can apply for another visa. However, I need to write my Diploma Thesis september THIS year and really would like to do that in the US, while living with my fiancè (then wife). Therefore we apllied for a K1 visa, which got accepted from INS. Now I have to go to the US embassy in Germany to complete the application. I think they will cause trouble because of 2 years requirements.

Do you know any help? I don't know what to do.

Thanks a lot!

Chris
Old Jun 10th 2005, 4:07 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K1 visa after J1 - waive 2 year requirements?

There are waivers for the HRR, which aren't easy to get, so you could be denied because of it, getting an immigration lawyer that's experienced in J1 and HRR would be handy, but there not easy to find.

Anyway, your better off posting in the US visa/marriage forum, or I could just move the thread if you prefer.