Reload this Page >

K1, K3 and immigration

K1, K3 and immigration

Old Nov 9th 2003, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

Mila1979 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default K1, K3 and immigration

My Situation:

I am a UK citizen and have been in a relationship with a US citizen for the last 2 years. We have decided that the time has come for big decisions to be made and I have agreed to relocate to the USA. For the last 7 months I have been applying to jobs from the UK. I am a highly skilled person in the IT sector but I am finding it very difficult to get a job. Most companies that I apply to like my background but are not willing to do the H1B sponsorship.

So my girlfriend and I have started to consider other options. We have looked at the possibility of the K1 Fiancé visa, which seems like a good idea. My only concern is that it appears that I only have a limited time before the approved visa expires. Thus if I have not managed to find a job in 6 months while in the UK then the visa will expire and I will have to go through the whole process again.

Although my girlfriend earns enough money to prove to the INS that she can support the pair of us, I earn a much higher income and I am very nervous to just up-sticks without having secured a job in the USA - especially in todays economic climate. Can anybody suggest the best way I can get myself in a position where I can reside in the UK with a visa to reside in the USA with full work authorisation? Thus increasing my chances of securing a job in the USA while continuing to be living and earning in the UK?

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks,
Jamie

Last edited by Mila1979; Nov 9th 2003 at 7:37 pm.
Old Nov 9th 2003, 8:34 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K1, K3 and immigration

Originally posted by Mila1979

So my girlfriend and I have started to consider other options. We have looked at the possibility of the K1 Fiancé visa, which seems like a good idea. My only concern is that it appears that I only have a limited time before the approved visa expires. Thus if I have not managed to find a job in 6 months while in the UK then the visa will expire and I will have to go through the whole process again.
You have six months to marry, then adjust your status, not to find a job. You cannot work until you have started to adjust your status anyway and got a SSN.

You will be a truely lucky person if you can get a job remotley for the reason that there are a lot of highly skilled person in the IT sector unemployed over here so why should they go through the expense of sponsoring you when they can hire someone here.

My advice is take the K1 route, move over and use the time between landing and marrying to job hunt and feel the market and then once your married go for it. You will have more luck if you are here.

Patrick