Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

K1 in hand - leaving the UK questions

K1 in hand - leaving the UK questions

Old Jun 22nd 2012, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K1 in hand - leaving the UK questions

Originally Posted by craig_sp
Do you have your UK accounts/cards registered to a family members address in the UK? I would like to leave my accounts open, but would rather not have stacks of mail getting sent to a UK address when I'm not there. I know you can often opt for electronic statements, which I have, but there are always some letters/statements coming from my banks accounts and credit card! But yes, I see the value of keeping the accounts open!
Some banks are happy for you to have a foreign address (and will even post statements to it for no extra fee) - First Direct is one.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 6:57 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have your UK accounts/cards registered to a family members address in the UK? I would like to leave my accounts open, but would rather not have stacks of mail getting sent to a UK address when I'm not there. I know you can often opt for electronic statements, which I have, but there are always some letters/statements coming from my banks accounts and credit card! But yes, I see the value of keeping the accounts open!
Depends on the bank. Some allow you to use a US address, most in fact, but some like First, don't.

As for travel insurance, you aren't on holiday, so that won't be any use to you as they'll deny any claim you make.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 7:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
Some banks are happy for you to have a foreign address (and will even post statements to it for no extra fee) - First Direct is one.
First do now? They didn't a few year back
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 7:04 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Depends on the bank. Some allow you to use a US address, most in fact, but some like First, don't.
Can't speak for any others but LloydsTSB and Nationwide both allow foriegn addresses.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 10:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

jackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bink
Can't speak for any others but LloydsTSB and Nationwide both allow foriegn addresses.
Natwest too
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 11:52 am
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Yup. Had no problem at all with them - they give you an ID number to quote instead of a UK postcode when you call.
Old Jun 25th 2012, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

craig_sp is just really nicecraig_sp is just really nicecraig_sp is just really nicecraig_sp is just really nicecraig_sp is just really nicecraig_sp is just really nicecraig_sp is just really nicecraig_sp is just really nice

Originally Posted by nun
It is proof that you had health coverage and is needed when you apply for health insurance in the US.

Definitely cash the shares ISA in. You can leave the cash ISA alone, but you will have to pay US tax on any interest. So if you have no plans to return to the UK it's probably better to cash that in too and move the money to the USA.

The area I'm most concerned about is your health insurance, you cannot go on your fiance's plan until you are married. So you need to talk about that and find out the details of the plan. What does she do? lots of Americans actually don't have insurance so check and double check this.
Hi there, thanks for your post. How would I go about requesting this letter? I'm seeing a list of things I need to do now, I guess the tricky thing is knowing when to do them. As I'm not a LPR in the Us until I successfully adjust status. So the period when I enter on the K1 until after the AOS is a grey area. I'm not covered by NHS, as am in America..... and can't use travel insurance, as I am not on holiday....

My wife-to-be is self employed but works a couple of others jobs on a casual basis, so she pays for her own insurance. I guess I need to look at her plan and the price/coverage. Signing up to that before I get my LPR status seems risky, but I guess I could change it if there were any problems (hopefully none!).
Old Jun 25th 2012, 5:35 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

My wife-to-be is self employed but works a couple of others jobs on a casual basis, so she pays for her own insurance. I guess I need to look at her plan and the price/coverage. Signing up to that before I get my LPR status seems risky, but I guess I could change it if there were any problems (hopefully none!).
This is the tough thing about coming to the US. You won't be allowed on her policy until you are married and whether you remain covered by the NHS will depend on your UK residency status. I don't know whether leaving the UK and going to the US on a K1 would be seen by the UK authorities as giving up your UK residency, a lot has to do with intent.

I'd ask your fiancee about her policy and see how much it would be to get you on it too.
Old Jun 25th 2012, 9:25 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
You sure? I've had overseas addresses with them since '95...
The only thing they screw up on is every now and then they flip me back on to paying interest net instead of gross and I need to go through re-filing to get it paid gross. After the second or thrid time of this, I decided just to get it paid net, and the claim it back on my tax return....simpler than going back and working out what had been paid net and what gross in the same tax year....
Old Jun 25th 2012, 11:13 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Hi there, thanks for your post. How would I go about requesting this letter? I'm seeing a list of things I need to do now, I guess the tricky thing is knowing when to do them. As I'm not a LPR in the Us until I successfully adjust status. So the period when I enter on the K1 until after the AOS is a grey area. I'm not covered by NHS, as am in America..... and can't use travel insurance, as I am not on holiday....
There's been loads of threads on medical insurance, the wiki also. For the letter, depends on your NHS trust, some times your doctor will write one, sometimes it'll be the trust, needs to be letter headed and state that you are resident of the UK which entitles you to NHS coverage.

As for medical insurance, get married, get added on or get a job, or don't fall over.

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
You sure? I've had overseas addresses with them since '95...
Weird. I looked into them in 2000 or so and they said no and was the case for a couple other mates who were moving abroard.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 12:58 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

I have a First Direct account and have used my foreign address for the last five years.

To the OP, when I was in your situation I bought health insurance through medibroker.com. No idea if they still sell it, but it was a good way to get temporary health insurance that isn't travel insurance.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 2:30 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
There's been loads of threads on medical insurance, the wiki also. For the letter, depends on your NHS trust, some times your doctor will write one, sometimes it'll be the trust, needs to be letter headed and state that you are resident of the UK which entitles you to NHS coverage.

As for medical insurance, get married, get added on or get a job, or don't fall over.

Weird. I looked into them in 2000 or so and they said no and was the case for a couple other mates who were moving abroard.
You know what, now you mention it, I seem to remember posting a few years ago that they had stopped allowing overseas accounts, but mine was grandfathered in. That may have been the period when you tried. Sounds like they've started again! Bit like my missus - can't make their bl**dy minds up!!