Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

K-1 Wedding...

K-1 Wedding...

Old Sep 9th 2001, 7:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

brianr is an unknown quantity at this point

Has anybody got married in the Dallas/Fort Worth area and received their marriage certificate right after the ceremony?

This is us trying to sort out a officiant for the ceremony that WILL give us a certificate (or two even), on the day rather than waiting the two or three weeks it'll take for it to come in the mail. This is so we can go to the Dallas/INS office and do the walk-in AOS etc (like going to get a SSN too) ASAP...

Any pointers to WHO would do this would be most welcome!

Brian (UK, soon to be Texas).

Old Sep 9th 2001, 8:31 pm
Sue

Just an idea, we're in DFW area and to avoid the waits we skipped over the border to
Arkansas and found a nice courthouse there. Called ahead to make sure judge would be
there, drove there, filled in license in clerk's office, went to judge's office, got
married, went back to clerk's office (just along the corridor) to get copies (I think
we got 5). It was a few hrs drive but a nice sunny day and a nice trip. We did the
walk-in AOS. Can recommend SS office in McKinney, got SSN there with no trouble (went
on a late morning midweek, were almost the only people in the office, took all of 10
mins to get 3 SSNs - 1 for me and 2 for daughters).

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Sep 9th 2001, 9:48 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

And if you don't want to drive to Arkansas, call your local city hall and find out if you were to do an early afternoon wedding there, could they do the very same thing for you. I know it was a possbility for us here in the burbs of New York but we chose to have a more lavish affair 200 miles north of us instead and were able to get the registered marriage certificate the same week of the wedding.

Rita
Old Sep 10th 2001, 8:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Sue
Just an idea, we're in DFW area and to avoid the waits we skipped over the border to Arkansas and found a nice courthouse there.
Sounds like we'd be doing something rather "naughty"!

I like it!!!

Thanks for the suggestion.
Old Sep 10th 2001, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Rete
And if you don't want to drive to Arkansas, call your local city hall and find out if you were to do an early afternoon wedding there, could they do the very same thing for you. I know it was a possbility for us here in the burbs of New York but we chose to have a more lavish affair 200 miles north of us instead and were able to get the registered marriage certificate the same week of the wedding.

Rita
I got Sharon calling round as I type this
Old Sep 10th 2001, 9:33 pm
Sue

We're north of Dallas so it wasn't too bad a drive. If you want to amuse your friends
there is a town in AR called Hope, but I did draw the line at getting married there..

In the town we went to (Ashdown, nice courthouse), the judge's secretary keeps a
polaroid camera in a drawer for just these occasions (this was actually very
useful because we could take 2 free polaroid snaps to the AOS interview in Dallas 36
hrs later without worrying about having to get our own photos in time)

>
    >
    >

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >