Reload this Page >

K-1 Visa....a question

K-1 Visa....a question

Old Sep 12th 2002, 1:20 am
Forum Regular

Lahari is an unknown quantity at this point
Default K-1 Visa....a question

Hi Everybody !
How are you doing?Could anybody help me Please?
My fiance lives in India. I live in New Jersey and am a born Citizen. we have know each other since 4 years. I lived in India for a couple of years and we went to school.
But, the name in my documents in India is different from my name in my birth certificate. so, i would not like to submit those documents like our marks statements, etc...because i think it might confuse them even more.
i have decided to produce forms of evidence which have the name as in my birth certificate. But I dont have any. I have our pictures and couple of other things.
Could you please indicate list of possible evidences we should produce to show that we have personally met within the last two years and to establish our mutual intent to marry within the stipulated 90 day period upon his arrival in the U.S.

Hoping for a reply .....
thank you !
Old Sep 12th 2002, 1:47 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K-1 Visa....a question

The forms will ask for other names used. You can list your birth name as your family name and your Indian name under other names used. This will unsort any confusion there might be.

Rete
Old Sep 12th 2002, 2:10 am
Forum Regular

Lahari is an unknown quantity at this point
Default K-1 Visa....a peculiar question

Hi Rete !

Many thanks for replying !
In the petition application, they were asking for documents that made teh name change such as court order,adoption certificate, etc.
My mother has changed my legal name(as in my birth certificate to her maiden name) , I mean, my last name has been changed from my father's last name to my mother's maiden name(her last name).
i donot have any legal documents that show the name change. All of my documents and even my passport are in my mother's maiden name. My social security card is the only one in my legal name.
the only document that proves my leagal name is my birth certificate. but i dont think ins will accept it as a legal document that made my name change.
Since my social security card has been issued in my legal name, my passport should also be ammended.
the passport office in newark said that the U.S. COnsulate who issued me my passport made a mistake.

I donot know what to submit as evidences now....I have a lot of certificates in my maiden name which are nomore valid and i dont want to confuse the ins. i do have pictures of ours taken over a period of time( 4 yrs)
I would like to know the other documents i can establish to prove our relationship. we have been in love since 4 yrs and are waiting to be married.
please help me !
Thank you.

[
QUOTE]Originally posted by Rete:
The forms will ask for other names used. You can list your birth name as your family name and your Indian name under other names used. This will unsort any confusion there might be.

Rete [/QUOTE]
Old Sep 12th 2002, 3:27 am
Sheila

Lahari

All Clive and I submitted with our petition was photo's of us together, copies of our
passports with the stamped pages to show proof that we were in each others county,
about 3 of Clive's phone bills which had my(U.S.) phone number listed on it, and some
of our flight boarding passes. This was all the evidence we submitted with our
petition and we were approved with no problems.( we went through The Texas Service
Center.) Some people have sent emails along with there petition also. You will also
need a letter of intent to marry from both of you. This should state something like:

To US Immigration and Naturalization Service:

I, ____________, do hereby state that I am legally able and willing to marry
___________, and intend to do so within 90 days of his entry into the United States
using the K-1 Visa. We have planned a rough estimate for our wedding for late August
2002, but understand that it can only be done after approval of _______ visa and
entrance into the United States.

Signed,

That was my letter of intent...short but to the point that is all the information
they are asking for.

This is just my advice and is based on what I submitted. Hope this helps you some!!

Cheers, Sheila (U.S.C.) Clive (U.K.C.)

Texas Service Center / London Embassy

6/17/02- Mailed I-129f petition to TSC from the United Kingdom

6/18/02-Received first NOA from TSC

6/19/02-Mailed London Embassy paper work off to open provisional file

6/20/02- Received 2nd NOA from TSC

6/21/02- Received Interview date for London on 9/03/02

6/22/02- Received Visa "Lahari" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
m
    > Hi Rete !
    > Many thanks for replying ! In the petition application, they were asking for
    > documents that made teh name change such as court order,adoption certificate, etc.
    > My mother has changed my legal name(as in my birth certificate to her maiden name)
    > , I mean, my last name has been changed from my father's last name to my mother's
    > maiden name(her last name). i donot have any legal documents that show the name
    > change. All of my documents and even my passport are in my mother's maiden name. My
    > social security card is the only one in my legal name. the only document that
    > proves my leagal name is my birth certificate. but i dont think ins will accept it
    > as a legal document that made my name change. Since my social security card has
    > been issued in my legal name, my passport should also be ammended. the passport
    > office in newark said that the U.S. COnsulate who issued me my passport made a
    > mistake.
    > I donot know what to submit as evidences now....I have a lot of certificates in my
    > maiden name which are nomore valid and i dont want to confuse the ins. i do have
    > pictures of ours taken over a period of time( 4 yrs) I would like to know the other
    > documents i can establish to prove our relationship. we have been in love since 4
    > yrs and are waiting to be married. please help me ! Thank you.
    > [ QUOTE]Originally posted by Rete: The forms will ask for other names used. You
    > can list your birth name as your family name and your Indian name under other names
    > used. This will unsort any confusion there might be.
    > Rete
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Sep 12th 2002, 10:13 am
S.R.E.

Rete <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > The forms will ask for other names used. You can list your birth name as your
    > family name and your Indian name under other names used. This will unsort any
    > confusion there might be.
    > Rete

Sorry I have no advice for the OP... but Rete's answer made me wonder about
something. We'll be starting the immigration process sometime in the near future
(just waiting for some other stuff in our lives to get sorted out) and I'm right now
just gathering as much info as I can about everything.

My (I'm the alien) situation is this - my mom and birth dad divorced when I was 2
years old. After that my mother started using her maiden name as my last name too,
she dropped his last name for both of us but didn't make this official. She remarried
when I was 4, and eventually (I think I was 8) my new father officially adopted me
and we also had an official (last)name-change done. So his last name is now my
official last name and has been so for over 25 years. Would it be correct to list my
current last name as my family name, and my birth last name and mom's maiden name
under other names used? And to make things more complicated - we're planning on doing
DCF and I am gonna have his last name... so when I fill out the documents I have his
last name already... do I just list all the last names above under 'other names used'
and his last name as family name then? Also - when asked about my father's name etc.,
who do I list? And am I going to need the official name change and adoption
paperwork? (Might as well start gathering... who knows how long that will take...
lol). Maybe I'm asking questions that will work themselves out once I actually start
filling in forms... if so, I apologize.

Thanks for any replies