Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

K-1 Hardship Exceptions

K-1 Hardship Exceptions

Old Sep 5th 2002, 1:44 am
Just Joined

tom1957 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default K-1 Hardship Exceptions

I have a question regarding fiance visa from australia to the U.S. Visa requirements of this type require my fiance and me to have met within the two year period prior to being allowed a fiance visa for her to come here for us to marry. There is an exception to this which is a hardship exception. Does anyone know what type of hardship that is being referredto? I am a retired gentleman on a limited income and am wondering if financial burden is a harship exception. My hope is after this long a time with her and I being together on the phone, on the internet and mail, that we will be able to marry when she comes here without us having to first visit and for her to return to Australia then wait for the K-1 fiance visa to makes its' way through the red tape. Hope you ladies and gentlemen will be able to help. Thank you.
Old Sep 5th 2002, 4:26 am
Gabriela

Default Re: K-1 Hardship Exceptions

The exception will be if meeting before marriage would not be permited by the
law...yours or hers...some cultures do have this kind of law.....I think this would
be the only exception....no other reason will be accepted by INS....

"tom1957" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I have a question regarding fiance visa from australia to the U.S. Visa
    > requirements of this type require my fiance and me to have met within the two year
    > period prior to being allowed a fiance visa for her to come here for us to marry.
    > There is an exception to this which is a hardship exception. Does anyone know what
    > type of hardship that is being referredto? I am a retired gentleman on a limited
    > income and am wondering if financial burden is a harship exception. My hope is
    > after this long a time with her and I being together on the phone, on the internet
    > and mail, that we will be able to marry when she comes here without us having to
    > first visit and for her to return to Australia then wait for the K-1 fiance visa to
    > makes its' way through the red tape. Hope you ladies and gentlemen will be able to
    > help. Thank you.
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Sep 5th 2002, 5:04 am
Shannon

Originally posted by tom1957:
I am a retired gentleman on a limited income and am wondering if financial burden is a harship exception. My hope is after this long a time with her and I being together on the phone, on the internet and mail, that we will be able to marry when she comes here without us having to first visit and for her to return to Australia then wait for the K-1 fiance visa to makes its' way through the red tape. Hope you ladies and gentlemen will be able to help. Thank you.
I do not believe financial constraints are considered by the INS. I have seen serious health problems, births, deaths etc given as examples.

Regardless of how long you have conversed in various media, I think it is reckless to marry before you have spent time together in person.

Is it not possible for your girlfriend to make a social visit to the states to meet you? there are some very reasonable fares (US$600 return) available to Australians, return LAX.

Shannon

Old Sep 5th 2002, 5:45 am
Mrtravel

tom1957 wrote:
    > I have a question regarding fiance visa from australia to the U.S. Visa
    > requirements of this type require my fiance and me to have met within the two year
    > period prior to being allowed a fiance visa for her to come here for us to marry.
    > There is an exception to this which is a hardship exception. Does anyone know what
    > type of hardship that is being referredto? I am a retired gentleman on a limited
    > income and am wondering if financial burden is a harship exception.

Generally only for legal or religious religious reasons. I have never heard of
financial reasons being the reason.