British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Was it just what you wanted? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/just-what-you-wanted-196451/)

BrigieDarling Dec 12th 2003 1:21 pm

Was it just what you wanted?

What was the worst gift you ever got (yeah, yeah... I know all about "It's the thought that counts!")

Todd's cousins got table tennis paddles with no net and no balls one year.... and their parents got salt and pepper shakers each!

Have you ever kept something and then re-gifted it?

ladyofthelake Dec 12th 2003 1:37 pm

My dear husband once bought me a video of "Murray Walkers Greatest Formula 1 Moments" .....honest. :rolleyes:

This year he's been into Victorias Secret, but got scared away because "it's full of women in there" Oh well, probably another video coming my way!

Pimpbot Dec 12th 2003 3:16 pm

I got a John Virgo Trick shot video one year from my parents, because he's "funny". I believe that video sits in my old room at their house, where it has been collecting dust for the past 6 or 7 years.

BrigieDarling Dec 12th 2003 5:33 pm

Men!

Just remembered the year Todd bought me make-up for Dark Skinned girls!

We do like the perfumes etc.... but do NOT stop at any other counter in that section of the store....OK!

debs36 Dec 12th 2003 5:41 pm

Hey Bridgie

I also got a makeup set for Darker skinned girls (although i am blonde and fair )

I didnt think those lipsticks and eyeshadows would do me any justice, so they were quitely packed away somewhere, until it was safe to bin them !!

MEN !!!

dudleydowg Dec 12th 2003 5:44 pm

I got a pair of boxer shorts last year with stud muffin written on the front of them, not realising one day what underwear I was wearing I turned up for a game of rugby with my mates and low and behold there we were in the changing room when I took my jeans off, I received wolf whistles and applause not to mention a offer to be engaged from a prop forward:)

Yosser Dec 12th 2003 5:59 pm

When my mum was over in September she gave me an early xmas present it was 3 T-shirts that she had bought in Australia when she had gone over there earlier in the year. The problem was they would of fitted me better when I was 13 years old, second problem 2 of them were 'pink'!

without thinking she said, never mind I'll take them back and get a refund.....oh really planning a 10,000 mile round trip to exchange 3 T-shirts is what I call a bit excessive.

there sat in my closet ready for when the car needs waxing next spring!

MUMS !!!

Ash UK/US Dec 12th 2003 7:04 pm

Oh this is an easy question.

An engagment gift my husband and I where given was a huge ornamental chinese fan... I kid you not it was the uglliest thing I ever saw to make matters worse the varnish used on the wood made the whole thing stink like vomit. I tried airing it, I tried frabreeze [sp?] still couldn't shift the smell. Even my dogs gave it a wide birth... I kept it till a couple of weeks before moving here. It burnt very nicely on my parents open coal fire.

I could not be cruel enough to regift it and inflict it on someone else.

Ash :)

jcapulet Dec 12th 2003 7:16 pm

My first thought would be to say a set of Christmas ornaments...however they are very nice ones and I use them every year ;)

But now that I think of it, it has to be the pink corduroy pants I got when I was 8 or 9 years old.
:scared:

Juliet

dunroving Dec 12th 2003 7:38 pm

Re: Was it just what you wanted?

Originally posted by BrigieDarling
What was the worst gift you ever got (yeah, yeah... I know all about "It's the thought that counts!")

Todd's cousins got table tennis paddles with no net and no balls one year.... and their parents got salt and pepper shakers each!

Have you ever kept something and then re-gifted it?
My worst present was probably Bertie the Singing Bass.

On a related note, it always surprises me when someone completely misses the idea that you are getting on a plane after Christmas (e.g., after going back to the UK for Crimbo). Tea bags - great (light, squashable, etc.), calendars, great (light, easily packable). But ridiculously heavy books? Anything big? Bertie Bass? I think some people think my suitcase must be the Tardis! (Of course, I never say anything - it's the thought that counts....)

Poshpaws Dec 13th 2003 1:10 am

This was not a Christmas pressie, but a b/day one. DH gave me an Epi-Llady ( you ladies will know what this monster is) two months after an illness that nearly killed me off too! Methinks he was trying to finish the job..

For you blokes that do not have a clue as to what I am going on about..let me put it this way...Imagine your wife/ gf giving you an appliance to pull your whiskers out by their roots one by one. Shall, I go on?

Only last month did I throw that 'gadget' away after using it only about three times. Guess it was a step up from a garden tools that that I received for Valentines day one year. Things have improved somewhat, as DH heart did give me diamond earrings for this years anniversay that needed a sling to wear them. He's improving with age. ;)

BrigieDarling Dec 13th 2003 5:12 pm

Just be warned.... a moment in passing when you comment on "How nice" something is.... WILL come back to haunt you!

I shouldn't complain, but I have a pair of slippers (with zips) on them. I could have re-gifted those to my nan if she was still alive.

MY daughter has the same size feet as me (and she is only 11) so I'm hoping I can fit into siome of her stuff this year. Her jeans fit me, but the ULTRA LOW RISE bit scares me!