Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Just tell me it will get better

Just tell me it will get better

Old Apr 1st 2008, 7:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just tell me it will get better

Originally Posted by nethead
Hey I live in armpit PA, you live in Hairy armpit PA.
Thats all I have been trying to say, Yes Big City bigger choice, small town, zippo. Even in big City, no use if you can't afford, $4 - $5 for a loaf, thats as hard as a rock next day.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 2:23 am
Forum Regular

marcelle38 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jumping doris
I'm with you.
Ours is very small,doesn't seem to sell all the stuff everyone else raves about and is much more expensive than the other supermarkets.
Plus, and this is very mean but it's one of those mornings...it always seems to be full of very smug people who look as though they spin and dye their own wool.
too bad you dont live near me, I have an 18mo old. i've been here for 21 or is it 22 yrs I came over at 19...yes and i have a one year old. i reallly liked the freedom in america when i was young, but lately i'm just kind of bored, i think maybe i've moved around too much and get bored after a while. i actuallly wouldnt mind moving back to the uk...have you tried shopping at an english grocery? i think there's one in san fran, i lived there for 5yrs and found alot of homelessness and alot of drugs, everyone i met did drugs, even my bosses. i prefer the east coast i did find the people even stranger in cali
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marcelle38
found alot of homelessness and alot of drugs, everyone i met did drugs, even my bosses.
I had the same experience in London, which bizarrely led me to move to Amsterdam where even more bizarrely hardly anyone I knew did drugs!
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 7:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frrussre
There are 300 million (More or more) people living in USA, not everyone lives in NYC, Miami, San Francisco, Chicago, LA, Philly, an awful lot more live, in Pigs Knuckle Arkansas. I seem to have this conversation, with my richer or yuppie friends, who live near Bloomies, or Saks, Balduccis, Ferrara cafe who dine in hot restaurants, or live in Manhattan, NY where, there are delis & cafes 2 a penny. Most people in USA, do not have that luxury, they think Sears, is up market.
Frank R.
But the OP was complaining about bread in SF, not in Pigs Knuckle, Arkansas, and I'm simply trying to say that there is fantastic bread in the SF area. Is it expensive? I have no idea ... food is my main luxury and I don't pay attention to price.

I don't spend money on a lot of things; I've lived in the same house for 14 years, drove the same car for 15 years, spend next-to-nothing on clothes, don't go skiing or bungee jumping, don't go to concerts or sporting events ... (boring bastard, ain't I!) ... but ... I eat out at least 4 nights a week, and go to Italy twice a year (or I did, until work got out of control!), and food is my passion. I don't go for yuppie places ... most meals run $30-60 or so for two with limited alcohol.

Wild horses would not drag me back to the UK, but by the same token, they would not drag me to 95% of the US either. I love where I am, and just about the only place I'd consider being other than here is in a small town in Tuscany or Umbria, where it seems like every corner cafe sells food that is out of this world.
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 2:03 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marcelle38
too bad you dont live near me, I have an 18mo old. i've been here for 21 or is it 22 yrs I came over at 19...yes and i have a one year old. i reallly liked the freedom in america when i was young, but lately i'm just kind of bored, i think maybe i've moved around too much and get bored after a while. i actuallly wouldnt mind moving back to the uk...have you tried shopping at an english grocery? i think there's one in san fran, i lived there for 5yrs and found alot of homelessness and alot of drugs, everyone i met did drugs, even my bosses. i prefer the east coast i did find the people even stranger in cali
I sometimes buy English stuff online.

It isn't really wanting English stuff...more a wide choice of things. I cook a lot and it's frustrating not to be able to get things I consider to be ordinary staples.
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 2:08 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

I sometimes buy English stuff online.

It isn't really wanting English stuff...more a wide choice of things. I cook a lot and it's frustrating not to be able to get things I consider to be ordinary staples.
I agree with you...I love to bake and cook as well and I find it very frustrating when I need certain ingredients and then I realise its called something else here (black treacle for instance) then I have to spend time on the internet finding out what the U.S equivalence is...and then when I've finally got the answer....trying to find somewhere here that sells it...
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 2:11 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

I have lived all over the world and can tell you now if you can't find bread you like in San Francisco then there is no hope lol there are so many varities like I have never seen before, there must be something to tempt you
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 2:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisag8070
I agree with you...I love to bake and cook as well and I find it very frustrating when I need certain ingredients and then I realise its called something else here (black treacle for instance) then I have to spend time on the internet finding out what the U.S equivalence is...and then when I've finally got the answer....trying to find somewhere here that sells it...
If you are using recipe books try looking for the versions printed over here as they are usually the same but with the American names for the ingredients. If it's only one recipe I just pop into Borders and take a peek. For a book I use a lot like Nigella Lawson's Domestic Goddess I bought it and gave the British one to a friend in the UK.
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 2:53 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

I can buy good bread but it's $5 a loaf so it has become a treat rather than an everday thing.

It's even worse if you have to have wheat and gluten free. A small (and I mean very small) loaf of bread for me is usually about $6.99 and sometimes I have to drive 50 or 60 miles just to stock up on it.

The only way I can eat it is to either toast it or nuke it for a few seconds, it's bland, it's spongy but it's bread and because it is so expensive it is a rare treat
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 4:00 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
If you are using recipe books try looking for the versions printed over here as they are usually the same but with the American names for the ingredients. If it's only one recipe I just pop into Borders and take a peek. For a book I use a lot like Nigella Lawson's Domestic Goddess I bought it and gave the British one to a friend in the UK.
Thanks I've had to start doing this...I also go on the Food Network looking for the U.S versions too.

I love going to the book store and having a look through all the Cook Books...(sometimes I'll grab a coffee, sit down and copy the recipe..) there are quite a few cook books that are on my wish list...

Nigella Lawson's chocolate fudge cake is devine...
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 3:44 am
BE Enthusiast

melody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
LOL

Thats why I cannot understand why some folk like the place its a hole in my opinion.

SkankyJoes
As a former TJ employee (back in early 20's) I still only go in there for their GF (gluten free) tortillas. Otherwise I can live without it.

I miss the GF bread in England So I can just imagine how you 'normal' bread eaters feel.
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 3:56 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by melody32
As a former TJ employee (back in early 20's) I still only go in there for their GF (gluten free) tortillas. Otherwise I can live without it.

I miss the GF bread in England So I can just imagine how you 'normal' bread eaters feel.
Heck girl you look good for your age
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 4:08 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Are they fresh Tortillas or pre-packaged?

The only ones I have tried have a nasty after taste to them and they crumble up...yuk
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 4:16 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

As a former TJ employee (back in early 20's)l.
The 20s were good years ..was you ever a flapper ...
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 6:36 am
Payed up premium member

evoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Buy a bread maker ..make you own ... problem solved ...

Proclaim your independence, burn your bra.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.