Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Just Returned from UK

Just Returned from UK

Old Mar 26th 2009, 5:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just Returned from UK

Originally Posted by Gibo
Nope, I dont miss England one little bit, I have no plans on ever going back, not even for a visit.. I was last in England in 2003 and i could not wait to leave again. Even my own parents left the UK for Spain in 2004.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 5:23 am
Forum Regular

i11m10c2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Been in us for 20 yrs came here with mum from bonnyrigg scotland when i was 13 and now im married and have a boy age 9 and feel terrible everytime i come back to the US and as such i am contemplating going back home for good.

The OH is all for it she loves it there and we go back once a year to see my father

I just dont see this as my home and i even served 7 yrs in the US army you would think that would help, but didnt i have had some great experiences in this country both good and bad and have done pretty well for myself but im still not complete i think i need to go back where i think i was meant to be
Old Mar 26th 2009, 10:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
It all has to do with where you think that "home" is.

For me "home" is California, and has been pretty much since the day that I arrived here over 20 years ago.

I do get homesick sometimes but, since "home" is California, that only happens during my visits to the UK.
I am currently in the middle of a two-month trip to the UK (by far the longest since I moved to the US). Although it's been a fascinating experience after all these years to live and work in the UK for a while, it's not making me want to move back here from the US. I definitely appreciate the public transport, television and motorways that aren't completely falling apart like many in California. But I've found people to be relatively insular and negative.

I concluded a long time ago that "home" to me is San Francisco, but I haven't felt any homesickness for there yet. It's been too fascinating and hectic an experience for that.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 10:52 am
Just Joined

Caro123 is just really niceCaro123 is just really niceCaro123 is just really niceCaro123 is just really niceCaro123 is just really niceCaro123 is just really niceCaro123 is just really niceCaro123 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Dan725
Good point; I did notice that and its something to be addressed; but there may well be a ton of other factors as to why it's not just as easy to up sticks and move back to the UK; even if its purely "We're all settled here with all our belongings". If there's kids etc; it all impacts.
We don't have kids. The reason we can't just up and leave is because we both have jobs and our ages, my husband is 50, I'm 47, make it very hard to find employment. We also have retirement to think of. I would like to move back and would give up some material wealth to have my family closer but it's hard to relocate at our ages.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 9:57 am
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I am currently in the middle of a two-month trip to the UK (by far the longest since I moved to the US). Although it's been a fascinating experience after all these years to live and work in the UK for a while, it's not making me want to move back here from the US. I definitely appreciate the public transport, television and motorways that aren't completely falling apart like many in California.
But I've found people to be relatively insular and negative.
I concluded a long time ago that "home" to me is San Francisco, but I haven't felt any homesickness for there yet. It's been too fascinating and hectic an experience for that
As opposed to relatively insular and manically positive?
"Have a nice staaaayeeee"
Old Mar 27th 2009, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I am currently in the middle of a two-month trip to the UK (by far the longest since I moved to the US). Although it's been a fascinating experience after all these years to live and work in the UK for a while, it's not making me want to move back here from the US. I definitely appreciate the public transport, television and motorways that aren't completely falling apart like many in California. But I've found people to be relatively insular and negative.

I concluded a long time ago that "home" to me is San Francisco, but I haven't felt any homesickness for there yet. It's been too fascinating and hectic an experience for that.
I went back to work there on a contract (between Nov 07 and March 08 with frequent trips back to US). While I agree that as a rule, people are very negative (in comparison with the US), I can't agree with insular. Sense of community in UK far surpasses that of the US IMHO.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 10:07 pm
Just Joined

Caro123 is just really niceCaro123 is just really niceCaro123 is just really niceCaro123 is just really niceCaro123 is just really niceCaro123 is just really niceCaro123 is just really niceCaro123 is just really nice
Smile Re: Just Returned from UK

Originally Posted by Dan725
I went back to work there on a contract (between Nov 07 and March 08 with frequent trips back to US). While I agree that as a rule, people are very negative (in comparison with the US), I can't agree with insular. Sense of community in UK far surpasses that of the US IMHO.
I agree. In the US, you don't see people waving when you stop to let them through in busy traffic.
Old Mar 28th 2009, 4:20 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Caro123
I agree. In the US, you don't see people waving when you stop to let them through in busy traffic.
How sad for you that our paths have never crossed. I often let people thru, and I always wave when someone lets me in. In fact, it's a special little wave.
You could wave first?
Old Mar 28th 2009, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

Jensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond repute

Just returned from spending a wonderful 2 weeks back home. I miss my family so much and got to spend some wonderful time with them having Sunday dinners, pub lunches, etc. My husband came with me and we rented a car. My hometown is Harrogate so I'm a Yorkshire lass and nowhere is as beautiful as the Yorkshire Dales. We had wonderful weather, lucky for us I know, the daffodils and crocuses were out and the new lambs were running around. Now that I'm back here I am just so depressed and homesick. I feel like it will be ages till I see everyone again and my little nieces and nephews are growing up fast, every time I see them they've changed. I miss every little thing about England, every aspect of my home town, I feel much more at home there than I do in the US. I have lived in the US for going on 20 years, I actually became a citizen so I wouldn't have to mess with the green card anymore, but I would move back in a heartbeat. My husband doesn't want to leave the US and I don't want to leave him, so what do I do? We live in North Dakota which is a pretty desolate place and still in the throes of mid-winter. Anyone else get really down when they come back here after a visit?
Ah ! Carol! YOu and I sound very much alike. I'm going on 32 years here and am also a citizen but that old homesickness bug kicks in every time I'm home. These are my solutions. I Facebook with my family daily and talk on the phone with them several times a week. I remain involved (in a small way) with my hometown historical society ( post a check now and again to help keep it afloat) so I still feel like I'm "part of the community" even tho'miles away. As a keen spinner and knitter I love to use British breeds wool - esp. the scrumptious Blue Faced Leicester - which again makes me feel "attached" to home.
Most importantly, I plan for my next trip home as soon as I return to the US so I ALWAYS have that next visit to look forward to.

I do feel for you. Being so far away and pining for home feels so hopeless doesn't it?
I remember those brave souls who emigrated here centuries ago with NO hope of ever seeing England again. I wonder how they coped with their homesickness?
Anyway, as another writer to this thread said-Spring will soon be in your part of the country bring with it daffs and crocuses too! Best wishes and PLAN THAT TRIP!
Old Mar 28th 2009, 10:37 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
How sad for you that our paths have never crossed. I often let people thru, and I always wave when someone lets me in. In fact, it's a special little wave.
You could wave first?
Me too, it might only be a finger ( no not THAT finger, ), but I do.
Old Mar 28th 2009, 11:31 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Me too, it might only be a finger ( no not THAT finger, ), but I do.
elbow elbow, wristwristwrist.
Old Mar 29th 2009, 1:46 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
elbow elbow, wristwristwrist.
I can't be bothered with the screwing in the lightbulb thing,

I do smile and say thank you, but I don't suppose they can hear me....
Old Mar 29th 2009, 2:01 am
BE Enthusiast

melody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nice

maybe the people are in such a daze from the niceness that they are barely able to continue driving much less wave...
Old Mar 29th 2009, 1:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jensmate
Ah ! Carol! YOu and I sound very much alike. I'm going on 32 years here and am also a citizen but that old homesickness bug kicks in every time I'm home. These are my solutions. I Facebook with my family daily and talk on the phone with them several times a week. I remain involved (in a small way) with my hometown historical society ( post a check now and again to help keep it afloat) so I still feel like I'm "part of the community" even tho'miles away. As a keen spinner and knitter I love to use British breeds wool - esp. the scrumptious Blue Faced Leicester - which again makes me feel "attached" to home.
Most importantly, I plan for my next trip home as soon as I return to the US so I ALWAYS have that next visit to look forward to.

I do feel for you. Being so far away and pining for home feels so hopeless doesn't it?
I remember those brave souls who emigrated here centuries ago with NO hope of ever seeing England again. I wonder how they coped with their homesickness?
Anyway, as another writer to this thread said-Spring will soon be in your part of the country bring with it daffs and crocuses too! Best wishes and PLAN THAT TRIP!
I am planning to go home more often, once a year so I know the time will soon pass for my next visit. Probably March or April next year now. I have found a website where you can buy British things online (Yorkshire Tea is my must have) and that helps doesn't it. I just installed Skype for calling home, eventually I want to get a webcam so I can see my nieces and nephews. My husband's grandma's mother emigrated from Norway and I can't imagine how those people felt, no internet, no phone, no airlines. I once read that the Irish actually held a wake for family members who had left for the USA. They must have been tough in those days. I have a sister in Australia who is the complete opposite, she loves it there and don't think she'd ever want to move back to England. I like your idea of staying involved with your community back home, my dad is in the local historical society and a local conservation group.
Old Mar 29th 2009, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

Jensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, the British things do help. My best friend sends me Redbush tea in bulk and curry mixes-I do love a curry.
My sister and her family had a farm outside Holmfirth in the early 70s and I remember how ruggedly beautiful Yorkshire was in the Spring.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.