British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Just Returned from UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/just-returned-uk-599806/)

Caro123 Mar 25th 2009 11:40 am

Just Returned from UK

Just returned from spending a wonderful 2 weeks back home. I miss my family so much and got to spend some wonderful time with them having Sunday dinners, pub lunches, etc. My husband came with me and we rented a car. My hometown is Harrogate so I'm a Yorkshire lass and nowhere is as beautiful as the Yorkshire Dales. We had wonderful weather, lucky for us I know, the daffodils and crocuses were out and the new lambs were running around. Now that I'm back here I am just so depressed and homesick. I feel like it will be ages till I see everyone again and my little nieces and nephews are growing up fast, every time I see them they've changed. I miss every little thing about England, every aspect of my home town, I feel much more at home there than I do in the US. I have lived in the US for going on 20 years, I actually became a citizen so I wouldn't have to mess with the green card anymore, but I would move back in a heartbeat. My husband doesn't want to leave the US and I don't want to leave him, so what do I do? We live in North Dakota which is a pretty desolate place and still in the throes of mid-winter. Anyone else get really down when they come back here after a visit?

Brit3964 Mar 25th 2009 12:09 pm

Re: Just Returned from UK

I can't say I get down after being in Old Blighty. My trips to UK are few and far between, averaging once every 3yrs so it's always nice to see the changes (good and bad) each time I go back. Over time living here, there's a kind of "grass is greener" memory effect and it just doesn't ring true when I do go back. People and places change so much I now feel like a tourist in my own country.

That said I'll be back in Old Blighty 2 weeks today so yay for me. Gonna be interesting this time because I'm renting a car. Haven't driven in UK in 13yrs so will be fun being on the "wrong" side of the road and using a shift stick!

Chi_town Mar 25th 2009 12:20 pm

I think its normal to feel extra homesick just after a trip back home - especially when you have had such a lovely time, weather pleasant etc.
And i think living in North Dakota must be tough with it's long winter, I am in Illinois and think it's bad here...
Having said that I was amazed when I got to the end of your post and you mentioned how long you have been in the U.S. I was thinking maybe 2 or 3 years. But I guess homesickness doesn't always go away with time, and my Brother returned to Ireland after 19 years in the U.S. He is back now 2 years and delighted with his decision.
The only thing could suggest is more frequent trips back to the UK to visit, if moving back is not an option? I kow what you mean about the nephews and nieces. We are here in the U.S 5 years and my youngest niece is 4, so I have seen the child only 4 times in her life. And likewie my boys really don't know their cousins.
I got such a lovely picture of the Dales with the new lambs and pleasant spring weather as you described it. I cannot think of anywhere in the U.S quite like it, though there are some very scenic sights here...

Anyway hope as Spring comes to ND you feel more settled

Susie.

pejpm1 Mar 25th 2009 12:31 pm

I just got back from 10 days at home in London. I've only been living here (NYC) for a year but was feeling a bit homesick and I thought I'd be really sad to come back, but I actually didnt mind. My girlfriend stayed back in NY so maybe that was why I didnt mind coming back, but to me it just feels like I have two homes now. Obviously that feeling will probably change the longer I am here and I'll get a bit more homesick, but at the moment I'm just seeing the positive aspects of both places. I love some things about London and it will always be my home, but I also love aspects of New York as well.

g1ant Mar 25th 2009 1:41 pm

My daughter got back yesterday. Chili & Chocolate crisps anyone??

Brit3964 Mar 25th 2009 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by g1ant (Post 7417864)

Any Branston? :)

HoosierDaddy Mar 25th 2009 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by Caro123 (Post 7417520)
I miss every little thing about England, every aspect of my home town, I feel much more at home there than I do in the US. I have lived in the US for going on 20 years, I actually became a citizen so I wouldn't have to mess with the green card anymore, but I would move back in a heartbeat. My husband doesn't want to leave the US and I don't want to leave him, so what do I do? We live in North Dakota which is a pretty desolate place and still in the throes of mid-winter.

If this is how you feel after 20 years, sounds like you either need to move to another State or move back to England.

Dan725 Mar 25th 2009 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy (Post 7418099)
If this is how you feel after 20 years, sounds like you either need to move to another State or move back to England.

From what I can gather (from these boards) it isn't unusual to be feeling that that after 20 years...maybe even more so for some people.

The OP's clearly chosen her husband over location (and rightly so in the world according to moi) so the thing to do would be to either make the best of it here, or convince husband to go to the UK.

Regarding being down after a visit, I think that's normal for a lot of people too (not me personally; I'm usually glad to get back to the US).

Manc Mar 25th 2009 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by Dan725 (Post 7418671)
The OP's clearly chosen her husband over location

but it doesn't appear that it would be reciprocated however.

Gibo Mar 25th 2009 6:46 pm

Nope, I dont miss England one little bit, I have no plans on ever going back, not even for a visit.. I was last in England in 2003 and i could not wait to leave again. Even my own parents left the UK for Spain in 2004.

cindyabs Mar 25th 2009 6:49 pm

Perhaps compromise and move to another state if possible?

Dan725 Mar 25th 2009 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by Manc (Post 7418758)
but it doesn't appear that it would be reciprocated however.

Good point; I did notice that and its something to be addressed; but there may well be a ton of other factors as to why it's not just as easy to up sticks and move back to the UK; even if its purely "We're all settled here with all our belongings". If there's kids etc; it all impacts.

Jerseygirl Mar 25th 2009 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by g1ant (Post 7417864)

I saw them in Sainsbury's the other day. :eek: The balsamic vinegar and red onion crisps are to die for. :wub:

meauxna Mar 25th 2009 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 7419118)
I saw them in Sainsbury's the other day. :eek: The balsamic vinegar and red onion crisps are to die for. :wub:

Helllllooooo, buddy :wub:
(I want to try the chili choco ones too)

Jerseygirl Mar 25th 2009 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 7419216)
Helllllooooo, buddy :wub:
(I want to try the chili choco ones too)

Flattery will get you everywhere. ;)