Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Just to remind me why we need to go.

Just to remind me why we need to go.

Old Aug 22nd 2013, 1:01 am
Forum Regular

Homeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Just to remind me why we need to go.

My DD is about to start Y5 here in the US and is aged 10. My DD has learning difficulties with all aspects of academics and is on the special needs register here and was on the register in the UK as well.

She has just had her CRT results back (state tests) and she has scored 'meeting standards for her age'". You are probably wondering why I'm not over the moon about how much she has improved. Well that maybe because she is unable to tell the time, unable to add 10 and 10 in her head, is unable to tell you the months of the year and is unable to read books for children over the age of 6, oh and struggles to spell words such as - went.

I am happy for my child to learn at a speed that suits her, but I am not impressed that in NV they think my DDs level is meeting standards for her age.

Oh yes, there was that shooter turning up at another Elementary School as well, that makes me feel good that I have 14 weeks left:-)

Last edited by Homeiswheretheheartis; Aug 22nd 2013 at 1:03 am.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 3:51 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just to remind me why we need to go.

Originally Posted by Homeiswheretheheartis
My DD is about to start Y5 here in the US and is aged 10. My DD has learning difficulties with all aspects of academics and is on the special needs register here and was on the register in the UK as well.

She has just had her CRT results back (state tests) and she has scored 'meeting standards for her age'". You are probably wondering why I'm not over the moon about how much she has improved. Well that maybe because she is unable to tell the time, unable to add 10 and 10 in her head, is unable to tell you the months of the year and is unable to read books for children over the age of 6, oh and struggles to spell words such as - went.

I am happy for my child to learn at a speed that suits her, but I am not impressed that in NV they think my DDs level is meeting standards for her age.

Oh yes, there was that shooter turning up at another Elementary School as well, that makes me feel good that I have 14 weeks left:-)
Yes, I'm not impressed by standards here in California either.
My Dd is doing well compared to her peers, but I wonder how she'll stack up against her UK classmates once we get back.
Thing is I had both boys go all the way through the CA system and found the maths they do in High school to be more difficult than UK, so where do they speed up here? Ds1 was doing Calculus and Ds2 struggled but even he did some tough math and passed.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 4:33 am
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

This is a tragic post.

Good luck going back to the UK.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 12:22 pm
Going back....

Scrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond repute

Where we live there are not even provincial tests so I'd have no idea how my daughter is doing. She's 6 and just about to start grade 1 and I was shocked at the age 6-7 Key Stage 1 guides that we just brought back from our UK trip - her reading is maybe OK but her maths, nowhere near! They haven't even begun formal addition here and apparently in the UK she should know all her times tables within a year....
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

Homeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond repute

As I said I am happy for my DD to continue to learn at her own pace. Because of my DDs learning difficulties it would be too hard to compare the UK system as she is so far behind her peers.

But I also have a DS about to start Grade 7 here and will be returning to UK Year 8(same point in education just different name). Here in the US he is a straight A student and on the Honer Roll and is classed as exceptional in all areas especially maths. I am very concerned how he will fit back into the UK education, and we have only been here 2 1/4 school years. I think its going to be a lot harder and he will be socked at not getting top marks without trying.

For everyone concerned about education and returning, I will let you know how the kids get on.

Last edited by Homeiswheretheheartis; Aug 22nd 2013 at 2:02 pm.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Scrapcat
Where we live there are not even provincial tests so I'd have no idea how my daughter is doing. She's 6 and just about to start grade 1 and I was shocked at the age 6-7 Key Stage 1 guides that we just brought back from our UK trip - her reading is maybe OK but her maths, nowhere near! They haven't even begun formal addition here and apparently in the UK she should know all her times tables within a year....
My DS left the UK education system at aged 10 beginning of Year 5 in the UK. He began learning his times table at the beginning of KS 2 in the UK (Grade 1 in the US aged 6).

I know every stage is different but in NV the education is soooooooo limited. My DS has just got his timetable for the year (Grade 7) he is doing:

Maths
Reading (English Lit)
English (English Lang)
NV History
Science
Band (only elective)

In the UK he will be doing the following and most compulsory:

Maths
English Lit (reading in US)
English Lang (English in US)
History
Geography
P.E
Religious Ed
Home Economics (cooking)
Design & Tech (woodwork/metalwork)
Music
Art
Language
Computers will be available but not compulsory

As I said, I will let you know how they gets on.

Gosh I never thought I would be crossing my fingers when it came to my kids education.

Last edited by Homeiswheretheheartis; Aug 22nd 2013 at 2:03 pm.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 6:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

It was a big shock to my son (then 12) how narrow and boring the middle school curriculum was compared to his English school. Not as bad in elementary for my daughter, but noticeably lacking in funding. The funding has got steadily worse while we've been here, with bigger and bigger classes.

I think your kids will slot in fine back over there though. There is lots of support for all levels.

Last edited by Sally Redux; Aug 22nd 2013 at 6:49 pm.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi 14 weeks will soon go by, I think the UK is very adapt at brining pupils up to "scratch" if needed, my son works in a very multi cultural School and he says within weeks some of the Children catch up to the level the UK system needs them to be at and if not they get lots of help and encouragement to do so. Good luck and try not to worry to much its hard when its your own but your Children might notice the change in you....so deep breath, it will not be long and before you know you will all be settled where you want/need to be. Good luck
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 4:42 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
It was a big shock to my son (then 12) how narrow and boring the middle school curriculum was compared to his English school. Not as bad in elementary for my daughter, but noticeably lacking in funding. The funding has got steadily worse while we've been here, with bigger and bigger classes.

I think your kids will slot in fine back over there though. There is lots of support for all levels.
Do parents and teachers pay for school supplies at your children's school? I remember being somewhat astonished that this was pretty much the norm (asking parents to contribute to the cost of pencils, etc.) where I lived in the US.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dunroving
Do parents and teachers pay for school supplies at your children's school? I remember being somewhat astonished that this was pretty much the norm (asking parents to contribute to the cost of pencils, etc.) where I lived in the US.
Yes, dunroving, we have to buy supplies. This year the wish list added up to around $25 with a request of $30 direct to the teacher. Its really hard to say no as they actually asked last year if the money had been paid to the kids

At DS Middle school its not a wish list its a must buy as they need it for classes. It came to over $60 by time I'd finished for Middle School.

But I do realize its not cheap for the Uniform back home in the UK so I works out about the same as I spent in the UK on uniform.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 6:48 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, dunroving, we have to buy supplies. This year the wish list added up to around $25 with a request of $30 direct to the teacher. Its really hard to say no as they actually asked last year if the money had been paid to the kids

At DS Middle school its not a wish list its a must buy as they need it for classes. It came to over $60 by time I'd finished for Middle School.

But I do realize its not cheap for the Uniform back home in the UK so I works out about the same as I spent in the UK on uniform.
It gets worse, a couple year my Ds's bill was nearer to $200 and they don't hand out schedules till they pay up
Old Aug 24th 2013, 5:26 am
Forum Regular

Caruthers will become famous soon enoughCaruthers will become famous soon enough

Hi

I just read this and I saw some classic indications. Obviously I don't know your child, I can sympathize with your assessment of education ( I am here too in USA, Norcal) but I wanted to suggest has your child been assessed for dyslexia? It can hinder some learning and can be helped. Just a thought for when you return to the UK.

Happy landings.