Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Just received my CA drivers license, but there's an issue.

Just received my CA drivers license, but there's an issue.

Old Oct 8th 2016, 5:36 am
Just Joined

zarms is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Just received my CA drivers license, but there's an issue.

So i just received my CA driver license, the tests were really easy and going to an out-of-town DMV made the process quick and efficient.

However, the issue is, my driver license is only valid for 6 months!? Everything i read says they are usually valid for 5 years.

Has anyone had this same experience when receiving their first Driver License? Will i need to renew my license in 6 months, or will they send me an updated one?

thank you for any help!
Old Oct 8th 2016, 6:20 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just received my CA drivers license, but there's an issue.

What is your status in the USA?

In my fiancé's case, the State ID was tied to his K-1 status, so had to go back to DMV several times at each step of the immigration process. This was in Arizona.

Rene
Old Oct 8th 2016, 11:53 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zarms
So i just received my CA driver license, the tests were really easy and going to an out-of-town DMV made the process quick and efficient.

However, the issue is, my driver license is only valid for 6 months!? Everything i read says they are usually valid for 5 years.

Has anyone had this same experience when receiving their first Driver License? Will i need to renew my license in 6 months, or will they send me an updated one? .....
You will have to have it reissued, and there will be a fee, that is how state DMVs work.

I agree with Noorah, I guess the short date is linked to your visa status.
Old Oct 8th 2016, 12:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone had this same experience when receiving their first Driver License? Will i need to renew my license in 6 months, or will they send me an updated one?

thank you for any help!
If it's a paper one, that's good until the plastic credit card type comes in the mail. If it's the plastic one that has only 6 months on it, I would either call the DMV or go back to the place it was issued.
Old Oct 8th 2016, 2:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

As Joto states, if it is a temporary paper license, issued at the time of the test, then it'll be superseded by the plastic one that comes in the mail. That is certainly the case here in Georgia.

However, it WILL be linked to your residency status and will expire when your visa or green card does. When you have proof of extension, you can take it to the DMV before the existing license expires and, for a small fee of course, have it extended.
Old Oct 8th 2016, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

deadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond repute

Same thing happened to me - had to renew last year. I was told it had been approved but they weren't sure when it would be valid until.

Got the license back in the mail...and it was valid to my birthday in 2017. Same with my wife's.

We're green card now, so will get the 10 year one next time round
Old Oct 8th 2016, 2:46 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deadshoppingmalls
Same thing happened to me - had to renew last year. I was told it had been approved but they weren't sure when it would be valid until.

Got the license back in the mail...and it was valid to my birthday in 2017. Same with my wife's.

We're green card now, so will get the 10 year one next time round
Some states do issue licenses with validity based on age and birthday. NC has moved to that basis so although Mrs P and I started off with NC licenses issued at the same time and with very similar expiry dates (I think five years after they were issued), when we renewed our licenses they were issued for periods about three years apart.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 8th 2016 at 2:50 pm.
Old Oct 8th 2016, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

deadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Some states do issue licenses with validity based on age and birthday. NC has moved to that basis so although Mrs P and I started off with licenses issued at the same time and with very similar expiry dates (I think five years after they were issued), when we renewed our licenses they were issued for periods about three years apart.
The first time we applied, it was based off our I-94 (the one we received when we entered). The second time around, we provided our visa validity + latest I-94, and we were given based on the year of I-94 but to our birthday.

Normal CA licenses are 5 year and expire on Birthday. Our current one is 2 years, so have face the pleasure of the DMV again next year...
Old Oct 8th 2016, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

zarms is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you everyone! Once you guys mentioned it would be linked to my status it made sense. I am currently waiting to have the restrictions removed from the green card I got when we got married. Apparently it's backed up so I currently have an expired green card and an extension document, which is good for another 6 months.

Frustrating I'll have to go and renew it so soon, but suppose it makes sense.

My first time posting here - thanks for the great response!
Old Oct 8th 2016, 3:22 pm

Thank you everyone! ..... My first time posting here - thanks for the great response!
You're welcome. ..... And welcome to BE, you were lucky to get seven relevant replies.
We usually go off at a tangent, talking about food, the weather, Brexit, cats, etc.