Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

just received email from our attorney

just received email from our attorney

Old Jan 27th 2010, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

Lazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to all
Default just received email from our attorney

stating that my husband's L1A petition has been approved. So that must mean it is London next? We're both dumbstruck.

Bloody hell! I am not going to sleep tonight, so I will just have to watch Glee which I have recorded on Skyplus (at least we'll have Glee in the US but not Skyplus I guess!)

I think I need to go and have a proper cup of tea!
Old Jan 27th 2010, 10:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: just received email from our attorney

Originally Posted by Lazzza
stating that my husband's L1A petition has been approved. So that must mean it is London next? We're both dumbstruck.

Bloody hell! I am not going to sleep tonight, so I will just have to watch Glee which I have recorded on Skyplus (at least we'll have Glee in the US but not Skyplus I guess!)

congrats!!
Old Jan 27th 2010, 10:11 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Well done quine - we'll see you o'er here soon
Old Jan 27th 2010, 10:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Good news Lazza take a few breaths and then start the next part of your journey
Old Jan 27th 2010, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

Undefeckable will become famous soon enough

Congrats. Now's a good time to start programming yourself to taaalk slooower and using words like Trash, Highway, laundry, zucchini etc.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 11:23 pm
Resident Sillycow

mellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Undefeckable
Congrats. Now's a good time to start programming yourself to taaalk slooower and using words like Trash, Highway, laundry, zucchini etc.
Congrats - where will you be moving to?
Old Jan 27th 2010, 11:33 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Oh God !!! More bleedin Scotch
Old Jan 27th 2010, 11:43 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mellybrown
Congrats - where will you be moving to?
She's coming to Houston - the hottest, happiest not¹ shit place on earth

¹as confirmed by this very official poll http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hlight=houston
Old Jan 28th 2010, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

Lazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to all

ok, so had a cup of tea, didn't sleep and now in the office in a state of....not panic...kind of disbelief?

I read other posts about leading almost a double life. No-one knows about this move and I am finding it harder and harder to keep quiet. I feel like such a liar.

It will be a huge relief to tell everyone, which should hopefully be next week.

We are moving to Cinco Ranch, Katy (Houston) which is super suburbia on a really major scale.

I read "An interview with Texas Dave last night". I liked the end bit where he said "you're a long time dead". This is my philosophy. If you don't try it, you'll never know.

And I don't want the US to be like home. If I did, I'd stay here!

Poor old hubby is stressing more than me, which is very strange. I am sure that I will have a complete nervous breakdown at some point though.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 10:39 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

It's rough and crazy and fun all at the same time. I'm actually in the middle of a move to Hong Kong in a few weeks (with family) and we're a bit too lackadaisical at the moment. Hasn't really phased us despite moving company surveyors pounding through the house.

My general advice at this point is to start writing. Compose the biggest list of things you can think to do before you leave, everything from 'turn off the electricity' to 'sell the cats' to 'take a ride on the London Eye'. And leave plenty of room to add things on as things come up (as they will).

It takes a bit of planning to make a move go off without much of a hitch, so getting a good list down of things helps you not only plan but also prevents you from forgetting something important.

One of the first things I would get to sorting is health care. Do you have any medical records you need, such as a history of some illness you are being treated for? Getting a copy of these might be very important when you get to the USA, and worth pulling together now (as it can take your GP a bit of time to sort out). You might also want to get a list of any medications you are taking, and possibly a list of any vaccinations you've had lately, getting a booster on somethings (tetanus is a good one) where it doesn't cost as much (NHS).

Congrats on the move.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 10:49 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
She's coming to Houston - the hottest, happiest not¹ shit place on earth

¹as confirmed by this very official poll http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hlight=houston
Yay! My Houston poll!! I never did get any curry out of it...
Old Jan 28th 2010, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the tip. You have mentioned this good advice to others and I have followed this. I have my "magic (A4 size - good old metric) pad" where I just list things I think about.

To be fair, we are fairly organised. Even the attic is sorted. I like to know what I am doing!

I hope to be finished in the office at least 6 weeks before we go, so I can really get organised. Hubby will be leaving immediately after the London interview, if he in fact gets the visa that is. So that could well be next month. I cannot leave until after 4th June, which is the date of my eldest daugter's last high school exam.

I am planning a week trip at Easter with all 4 kids to visit hubby, so they can see what will be their new home. The 2 older kids have never been in Houston. Of course the oldest is staying behind at uni in Scotland, so it will be hard to leave him. He is already 4 hours away from home. I just think that he will be 10 hours away instead. That makes me feel a bit better. And the uni holidays are long, so he will come out for extended breaks.

Jeepers, it is really happening. It has not felt real until now, although we have known about this for months.

Thanks for the tip re the GP by the way. My hubby is type 1 diabetic, so his records will be a must! I will add the the (very long) list.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 1:05 pm
Chocoholic !

Originally Posted by tonrob
Yay! My Houston poll!! I never did get any curry out of it...
Shame you are not over here, we have sprout curry every other Tuesday !

Thanks for the tip. You have mentioned this good advice to others and I have followed this. I have my "magic (A4 size - good old metric) pad" where I just list things I think about.

To be fair, we are fairly organised. Even the attic is sorted. I like to know what I am doing!

I hope to be finished in the office at least 6 weeks before we go, so I can really get organised. Hubby will be leaving immediately after the London interview, if he in fact gets the visa that is. So that could well be next month. I cannot leave until after 4th June, which is the date of my eldest daugter's last high school exam.

I am planning a week trip at Easter with all 4 kids to visit hubby, so they can see what will be their new home. The 2 older kids have never been in Houston. Of course the oldest is staying behind at uni in Scotland, so it will be hard to leave him. He is already 4 hours away from home. I just think that he will be 10 hours away instead. That makes me feel a bit better. And the uni holidays are long, so he will come out for extended breaks.

Jeepers, it is really happening. It has not felt real until now, although we have known about this for months.

Thanks for the tip re the GP by the way. My hubby is type 1 diabetic, so his records will be a must! I will add the the (very long) list.
Hey Lazzza, if you have time at Easter for another meet-up - count me in this time And we will get the weather sorted for you this time !
Old Jan 30th 2010, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

ok that would be great! Not sure if we are realistically going to have time to fit in a trip at Easter. And this would be right before the school exams start. So I'll keep you posted! Anyway, I should arrive on 10th June, which is provisional date I have on to move across.

I can't wait. I am sitting in the kitchen looking outside. It's snowing again and the sky is grey.

But I am away to make butcher sausage sandwiches........going to have these every weekend from now until June!!!!
Old Jan 30th 2010, 11:00 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
Shame you are not over here, we have sprout curry every other Tuesday !
Reviewing air fares as we speak.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.