Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Just need some friendly advice.

Just need some friendly advice.

Old Dec 8th 2007, 9:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just need some friendly advice.

Originally Posted by cindyabs
But not if she's not happy there, and she's not.
I think we were talking about the practicality of it.

As much as I sympathize, and I truly do - will she be happy here, with such serious medical conditions and no insurance?

Did you notice (there are a few threads going) what serious health problems she has?
Old Dec 8th 2007, 9:13 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym

As much as I sympathize, and I truly do - will she be happy here, with such serious medical conditions and no insurance?

Did you notice (there are a few threads going) what serious health problems she has?
I've been speaking to her on AIM.

I know you and others have been mentioning the practicality of it.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 9:15 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I'd rather pay $10 for a gallon of petrol than $500+ a month for health insurance.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 9:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
I'd rather pay $10 for a gallon of petrol than $500+ a month for health insurance.
I'm sure it's not a matter of simply money.

One has to find some WORKABLE solution.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 9:28 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure it's not a matter of simply money.
when you've got none it is.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 9:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

when you've got none it is.
Exactly!

I meant her desire to move was not really motivated by money.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 9:31 pm
@matthewb76

Exactly!

I meant her desire to move was not really motivated by money.
but if it leaves you bankrupt, sick, homeless, and destitute it really should be.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 9:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

but if it leaves you bankrupt, sick, homeless, and destitute it really should be.
Exactly again.

The point I (and others) have been trying to make.

But I do truly hope she finds her way home, and in a way that is safe for her, including financially. Of course, in the end - it is her decision whether or not to take the risk.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 9:34 pm
@matthewb76

Exactly again.

The point I (and others) have been trying to make.

But I do truly hope she finds her way home, and in a way that is safe for her, including financially. Of course, in the end - it is her decision whether or not to take the risk.
I don't know of course.
I'm not in that situation.

then again, If I lived in Milton Keynes I'd be looking to move anywhere, Ohio, Soweto, Mogadishu, anywhere.......
Old Dec 8th 2007, 9:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Realistically, I cannot see how this move is going to happen. Will a part-time job at Starbucks really provide proper healthcare coverage for a 55-year-old plus a disabled wife? How many 55-year-olds have you seen working at Starbucks?

How many employers who would be suitable for the OP's husband offer proper healthcare for part-time staff and dependents?
which is why I mentioned starbucks, it's what it bringing the company to its knees, so they might not be offering it to part timers in the future.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 9:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by catrocks
...like someone suggested earlier in the thread (was it MA where health insurance was required by law?).
I did...just because it's required doesn't mean it's all that cheap though.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 9:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bob
I did...just because it's required doesn't mean it's all that cheap though.
Well not cheap is better than unavailable, which is my concern for her.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 10:14 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

What you said.

I know all about homesickness.

But it is not practical for me to go home at this moment in time, so I stick it out. Get comfort from being with my family (and the pets ), and taking pleasure from the little pleasures in life.

It seems to be that the Cynda is seriously depressed and needs medical help.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 10:15 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Real numbers.

Assuming he has no Health Insurance issues, allow $25 per month for a policy with a large Deductible, basically catastrophe cover. You will be paying for all the usual minor issues out of pocket.

Jobs

Well there are very part time jobs that provide health insurance, as a Postie I am going to assume has no obviously transferrable skills, most of the Supermarkets around here will give Full Time Employees health insurance after 6 months.

Most of the people I know in this situation have no insurance. If I had major medical, I could not stay here.

Might as well bite the bullet and realise that unless there is a big pot of money that you have not mentioned, retirement is not on the cards. Well not in the US.

Money

I am assuming he will get a Postal pension, but that will not go very far to cover your or his costs, your posts suggest you do not have much capital.

Immigration

You mention Family, presumably they will be sponsoring his applicaton?
Old Dec 8th 2007, 10:17 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Well not cheap is better than unavailable, which is my concern for her.
state offered insurance is only going to be basic cover though, so in reality it's not going to help unless you get pregnant.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.