Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Just moved to Indiana - Pre and Post Move Experiences

Just moved to Indiana - Pre and Post Move Experiences

Old Apr 19th 2016, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

Maelstrom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Just moved to Indiana - Pre and Post Move Experiences

Thought it might be worth jotting down some of the experiences of the pre and post move that we had once I'd received my IR1 Visa.

Mar 2016 - we were fortunate enough (pre visa approval) that my employer let me fly to Indiana and my wife joined me on the trip (she's a USC) so we could look at some houses to rent for the initial 12months (we plan to buy after). At this point we opened a bank account with Chase (already had a Wells Fargo account but little presence in Indiana)
We secured a house for 12 months with the lease starting on the 1st April

Then the fun really started - once my Visa came through we then arranged Bourne's to move our stuff (20Ft container) and Skypets to transport our Dogs. Once in place we then started to sort out utilities etc to start on our arrival (7th April) as well as a hire car for a week (we used a UK firm called Budgetcar who gave us some great rates!)
Skypets and Bourne's were truly excellent and fully informed us before, during and after the move.

Day of the move - we spent the evening prior to flying in Manchester Airport to reduce the stress of having to get everything ready and having a 6am start.
This is where the first issue happened - we were due to fly into Chicago and then pick up our rental car to then drive to Indianapolis on the 7th with the Dogs following the day after on the 8th, however, our flight got cancelled, flight was due at 1220 and we were told at 1830 it was cancelled and left the airport at 2130 once new flights had been sorted (same flight the day after). Lots of time then followed on the phone sorting out what happens with the dogs, hire car etc - not a great start!!

Finally landed - skypets had arranged for the dogs to be kept at a local dog hotel for an additional night, going through immigration in Chicago was probably 10 minutes longer than usual, passport control took an hour to get to the window then the rest was super quick - I handed my pack over sat down and 2 mins later everything was stamped and we were on our way.

A hectic weekend then commenced with things like beds/matresses all needing to be bought one helluva spending spree!!

In the week we've been here - I got my Social Security Number by going down to the office and asking for it - we've bought 2 new cars which we picked up last Saturday (couple of Infinity's) and generally settled in to our new life in a new country (new state for my wife)

Stressful yes, exciting yes!! Thanks to everyone on here for all the advice they post, its been a gold mine for us
Old Apr 19th 2016, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just moved to Indiana - Pre and Post Move Experiences

Originally Posted by Maelstrom
Thought it might be worth jotting down some of the experiences of the pre and post move that we had once I'd received my IR1 Visa.

Mar 2016 - we were fortunate enough (pre visa approval) that my employer let me fly to Indiana and my wife joined me on the trip (she's a USC) so we could look at some houses to rent for the initial 12months (we plan to buy after). At this point we opened a bank account with Chase (already had a Wells Fargo account but little presence in Indiana)
We secured a house for 12 months with the lease starting on the 1st April

Then the fun really started - once my Visa came through we then arranged Bourne's to move our stuff (20Ft container) and Skypets to transport our Dogs. Once in place we then started to sort out utilities etc to start on our arrival (7th April) as well as a hire car for a week (we used a UK firm called Budgetcar who gave us some great rates!)
Skypets and Bourne's were truly excellent and fully informed us before, during and after the move.

Day of the move - we spent the evening prior to flying in Manchester Airport to reduce the stress of having to get everything ready and having a 6am start.
This is where the first issue happened - we were due to fly into Chicago and then pick up our rental car to then drive to Indianapolis on the 7th with the Dogs following the day after on the 8th, however, our flight got cancelled, flight was due at 1220 and we were told at 1830 it was cancelled and left the airport at 2130 once new flights had been sorted (same flight the day after). Lots of time then followed on the phone sorting out what happens with the dogs, hire car etc - not a great start!!

Finally landed - skypets had arranged for the dogs to be kept at a local dog hotel for an additional night, going through immigration in Chicago was probably 10 minutes longer than usual, passport control took an hour to get to the window then the rest was super quick - I handed my pack over sat down and 2 mins later everything was stamped and we were on our way.

A hectic weekend then commenced with things like beds/matresses all needing to be bought one helluva spending spree!!

In the week we've been here - I got my Social Security Number by going down to the office and asking for it - we've bought 2 new cars which we picked up last Saturday (couple of Infinity's) and generally settled in to our new life in a new country (new state for my wife)

Stressful yes, exciting yes!! Thanks to everyone on here for all the advice they post, its been a gold mine for us
I lived in Indiana many years (southern on Ohio River in Switzerland County). Still have a brother and sister there.
Indiana is not a glamorous state but can be a very good place to live with a low cost of living. Look at some of the small towns around Indy as a possible place to buy. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
Old Apr 19th 2016, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

Maelstrom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ddsrph
I lived in Indiana many years (southern on Ohio River in Switzerland County). Still have a brother and sister there.
Indiana is not a glamorous state but can be a very good place to live with a low cost of living. Look at some of the small towns around Indy as a possible place to buy. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

We're currently in Carmel and are considering buying here, but with the higher taxes we may look at Zionsville or Brownsburgh as alternatives
Old Apr 19th 2016, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maelstrom
We're currently in Carmel and are considering buying here, but with the higher taxes we may look at Zionsville or Brownsburgh as alternatives
I am not very familiar with Indy neighborhoods except a fellow retired Navy Dentist friend of mine lives in
McCordsville near Geist reservoir. It's a nice area. I visit him a couple times a year when I come up from
Tennessee to visit family still in Indiana. Southern Indiana along the Ohio is very different than central. Very hilly as the land drops off to the river valley with lots of woods.